Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Getting anxious and nervous with Helix enroute.....long time Fractal guy!

HudsonHawk

hoping it's like when Behringer and Midas teamed up! 

If you're implying that Yamaha had something to do with Helix... well it seems they didn't. As far as popular knowledge goes, Helix was almost ready before Yamaha acquired L6, and well underway before the acquisition was even thought of. So, according to the example you gave, Helix would still be "100% Behringer"  :P

In this case, dad didn't exist before the fight

Sure they did, and the buying out of Line 6 check proves it. You don't think they just invested into a company without some serious time and specific background info do ya? I betting they knew what Line 6 was developing months if not years before they wrote the check. Now O course, that doesn't mean that the devs at L6 didn't do all the work...  ;)

If you're implying that Yamaha had something to do with Helix... well it seems they didn't. As far as popular knowledge goes, Helix was almost ready before Yamaha acquired L6, and well underway before the acquisition was even thought of. So, according to the example you gave, Helix would still be "100% Behringer"  :P

Actually I had no idea about that merger!  Mainly just was saying what was bad, is now considered good or great by many! Interesting info though and thanks for sharing.  Really looking forward to this Helix!

I bet you'll like it. You come from a very powerful machine that sounds awesome, to another very powerful machine that sounds awesome, and that's that.
There are differences, many, but being that both are good at what matters the most, the sound, the rest is just a matter of what features are more important for you.
The new HX cab models are good, really good indeed, but, coming from the Axe, I suggest you try some IRs, which are more similar to Fractal's approach.
HX cabs are much more DSP efficient, though. Good to have the choice.

Hoping I will like it and will be comparable.  Time will tell!  I'm so gelled with Fractal for so many years and have never liked Line 6 stuff in past.  Heard this is different and hoping it's like when Behringer and Midas teamed up! 

Hey.

Just few word of [hopeful] reassurace from someone who has run and Axe XL and a Kemper and CLR's for a while now ... and who recently also got a Helix ... not in order or importance, here goes.

-> read the manual  ... seriously ... read it

-> given you will be wanting to know how it compares to your Axe .... load up the same IR's in each and use the same IR settings for both and monitor through the same system for both ... when you do this, you will be astonsihed at how similarly fantastic they sound

-> based on my few days working with Axe XL FW7 [final]  you will find that the Fractal models seem to have  a lot more "gain"  on tap so you may need to run the gains in the Helix amps a bit higher ... again, not a ctitisim, just an honest observation

-> compared to the Helix,  to me,  the Axe  FW7  Final  -still-  sounds  more  "polished"  /  "hi-fi"  than the Helix .... Im not saying this is bad or good for you..... to me, the Helix is just  more "there" .... much more  "in your face" ..... much more real-dirty-nasty-tube-amp-vibe  ...... again you may love or hate this I dont know ... to me, this is a big plus  asby far  the biggest battles I have had with my Axe / Kemper / CLR FRFR set up is  getting rid  of the polish / smoothness  of the Axe and  [very many]  Kemper profiles to try and make them sound more-real

-> the Drive pedals in the Helix are stellar .... to me .... way better than the Kemper, and quite honeslty, better than in the Axe too ..... the "Minitaur"  [Klon]  and "Teemah"  [Timmy]  and  Green tube Screamer [808]  not only sound like the real thing but they respond like the real thing

-> you will need time for your ears to "get used"  to the sound of the Helix if you are coming from Axe-land ... same applies for going to/from a Kemper  etc.... give it time

Heres the bit   [insert modeller of choice here]    "fanbois" rarely concede ........... there is no right answer here :) ..... what I can assure you though is this .... as with the Axe or Kemper ....... if you take your time and learn how to tweak the Helix ...... it will deliver sounds, tone, feel  etc...... every bit as good as anything you will get from an Axe or Kemper .......  any of these  "big three" can deliver equally fantastic tones, but each will sound just a bit different from each other .... this is unavoidable.

Enjoy :)

Ben

• Upvote 3