Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Digitech FreqOut and the Helix

ncockerill

While awaiting my pre-ordered Digitech FreqOut pedal to arrive, I’ve started to think about how I am going to hook this up. 

http://digitech.com/en/products/freqout

Obviously I’ll try different combinations once it is in hand, but would love to get some ideas from the forum.  Always lots of great input out here.

At the 2:43 mark, the video suggests that the FreqOut be first in your effects chain.  My current setup is relatively simple:

Guitar à G10 Wireless à TC Helicon VoiceLive à Helix à FOH

So, would it make the most sense to:

1)      insert the FreqOut before the TC Helicon

2)      insert between the TC Helicon and the Helix Guitar In

3)      insert as an FX loop inside all Helix presets, just after the input block / noise gate blocks but before any compression, distortion, etc?

Thoughts?

I would put it as an FX loop and experiment with where it sounds best in the chain. That may be first, may not be. And it may vary between your presets.

If it turns out it does have the best effect as first in the chain, then I'd _maybe_ pull it out of the FX loop and hardwire it there. Having it in an FX loop gives you versatility.

Just me, but I'd also have the VoiceLive in an FX loop. Again, flexibility...

Waiting for mine too.....   I was thinking out in front of helix.  I have a small "board" (literally a 17" x 4" piece of wood) with wireless, tuner, Drop, and soon, Freqout.  Anderton's has a new review video showing in front and after overdrive.  I like before, seemed more natural, as feedback comes from strings being "excited" by speaker.

I am so desperate for one of the I would consider the sale of my bottom to fund it. I would certainly go Helix fx loop then you can play with location. I think between amp and cab might be good. I would also put it on a parallel path with a volume pedal in front so you can accurately swell it in and out.

Thanks for the feedback folks (bad pun intended).  Checked out the new Anderton’s video on YouTube and there is definitely a huge difference when placing the FreqOut before/after the overdrive.  Given that, I think it probably makes sense to put this into the Helix FX loop for most flexibility.

I can envision that FreqOut FX loop block being in different locations from preset to preset, based entirely on what you’re going for.   I think DigiTech has a real winner in this new pedal.

There is also a new demo by Pete Thorn on YouTube as well.  Lots of praise from Pete………of course, Pete could make a PigNose sound amazing……….

Now I’m really anxious to get my pre-order!!

I may do the loop also, Just more wiring.  I got the Helix not only for the tone, but i am lazy.  one wire from "pre-board" to Helix.  The loop makes me add two more wires.  :o lol

I can see putting it in a parallel route with a particle verb or the like and produce an awesome ambient type tone.  Very flute-like.  Pete's demo shows it.

• 1 month later...

So, the Freq Out has been in the wild for a bit now, who's got one and how are you using it with Helix? Mine arrived while I was out of town, I just got in and plugged it in for the first time this morning. First things first, what a cool pedal!!!! So far I've been running it in front of Helix which works well for the Freq Out, but the buffer (?) seems to disagree with some stuff in Helix when used this way. It makes the Arbitrator Fuzz act just like a real Fuzz Face does behind a buffered pedal, and I found that my Litigator + Stupor OD patch got super "brittle", really did something to the highs. This cleaned up by removing Freq Out from the chain. I'll be trying it in a loop next and moving it around. I'm interested to know what others have found good results with?

I've been using the FreqOut with my Helix and I've found it works best in the effects loop before the amp but after my ODs and compressors.   I watched a video Chad Huskey made and it sounds like he found that's where it works best as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mPucY6RJ2c

Thanks for the share, I saw this post and was going to put a link :)

Digitech did respond on my video and say that if you put it pre gain pedals to back the gain off some on the Freqout to make it less prominent.  I haven't had the chance to try this yet, but honestly I'm pretty happy having it after the drive pedals.  

This weekend will be the first time I actually play a small gig with it so I'll have a better idea how it incorporaes into my rig/playing. 

Very fun pedal for sure!

• 7 months later...

I have one mono FX loop spare on my Helix... What I would like to do is mimic the Sustainiac pickup found in the 2006 Jackson DK2S guitar. I used to own one. The circuit board took up the entire control cavity and required a 9V battery to run. Its more like a an e-bow and feedbacker. Can I get the same effect with the Freqout?

I have one mono FX loop spare on my Helix... What I would like to do is mimic the Sustainiac pickup found in the 2006 Jackson DK2S guitar. I used to own one. The circuit board took up the entire control cavity and required a 9V battery to run. Its more like a an e-bow and feedbacker. Can I get the same effect with the Freqout?

You can definitely get sounds that nail the e-bow/Sustainiac sound with the FreqOut, but what you can't do is actually excite the strings the way those devices do. Your note will still decay and ultimately cut out.

sounds good first in the signal chain with a tweak to gain (down). I found the same as others that it can make some patches sound brittle on the front end. It is good after the ODs in the loop but requires some wiring and redoing patches etc. Extremely expressive pedal. great fun.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, got one. I've found that placing the Freqout in a mono FX loop, placing that block at the start of the Helix signal path and bypassing that FX loop, and bypassing the Freqout, the Freqout was still bringing hiss into the signal. I wound up having to put it between the guitar and the Helix's guitar input instead. I didn't want to turn down the gain on anything.