Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to run delays and reverbs in parallel?

HudsonHawk

Yes... you have 2 paths (each with an A and B, so 4 total). So you can split a path in two... put reverb on the split ( B) path, then merge it back in to the main (A) path. Super easy. For more fun... each A & B Path can be routed to different outputs if you want to do the Wet, Dry, Wet kind-of thing.

Check out pg 17-19 of the manual for the full skinny.

• Upvote 1

Yes... you have 2 paths (each with an A and B, so 4 total). So you can split a path in two... put reverb on the split ( B) path, then merge it back in to the main (A) path. Super easy. For more fun... each A & B Path can be routed to different outputs if you want to do the Wet, Dry, Wet kind-of thing.

Check out pg 17-19 of the manual for the full skinny.

Still think the Helix needs the ability to add split blocks in addition to the two available when you pull a block down to create for example path 1a and 1b. This would allow presets that require a larger number of blocks not to have that split monopolized by only a single delay/reverb block.

• Upvote 1

In Axe Fx I'd run my delays and reverbs in parallel because I don't like them mushed together.  Assuming this is easy, if not easier in the Helix?

Drop a delay and a reverb right next to each other. Put the cursor on the delay, click the ACTION button, then move the delay down with the joystick, then just drop the block. The parallel path will be created. To move where the ends of the parallel path tie into the other path, you can move the cursor to those ends, click ACTION and move them where you want. 

Just bare in mind that if you do it you will only get 50% of the effect. So put your mix at 100% you only get 50%

I'm not sure I understand what it meant by this statement...

On the Helix, if you put the mix parameter at 100%, what that means is you have 100% wet, 0% dry. If you want equal parts wet and dry, set the mix to 50%. If you have the block in a parallel path, you probably want to leave the mix at 100, and use the level parameter in the split block to control the level of the effect.

On the Helix, if you put the mix parameter at 100%, what that means is you have 100% wet, 0% dry. If you want equal parts wet and dry, set the mix to 50%. If you have the block in a parallel path, you probably want to leave the mix at 100, and use the level parameter in the split block to control the level of the effect.

This is what I've always found to be true in most units utilizing this strategy of parallel.

Take delay! At 100% in a standard path your repeats will be very loud. Put the same delay with the exact same settings on a parallel path and your repeats will be half the volume. Make sense? I use it a lot with modulations and delays. You will only get half of the max output of the effect. Do I make sense?

Take delay! At 100% in a standard path your repeats will be very loud. Put the same delay with the exact same settings on a parallel path and your repeats will be half the volume. Make sense? I use it a lot with modulations and delays. You will only get half of the max output of the effect. Do I make sense?

Well, if you have the mix at anything less than 100, and move the delay block to a parallel path, the overall dry signal will increase because you actually have two dry signals at that point. If you have the mix at 100, though, it shouldn't make a big difference in the overall volume.

Well, if you have the mix at anything less than 100, and move the delay block to a parallel path, the overall dry signal will increase because you actually have two dry signals at that point. If you have the mix at 100, though, it shouldn't make a big difference in the overall volume.

In a parallel path only a maximum of 50% of your signal can be effected. So on whatever effect your using 100 = 50, 50 = 25, 25 = 12.5 and so on.

Not at my Helix right now. When you do as you depict, and you then select the Split branch point with the Joystick, what is the displayed default Mix value?

Not at my Helix right now. When you do as you depict, and you then select the Split branch point with the Joystick, what is the displayed default Mix value?

Depends on the split.. but generally a 50:50. From the manual:

Split Types

Y -- Both the left and right sides of the signal are sent evenly to Paths A (upper) and B (lower). By default, a Split > Y appears any time a parallel path is created. There are no settings to adjust.

A/B -- The signal can be sent in different amounts to Paths A (upper) and B (lower).

Crossover -- Treble frequencies are sent to Path A (upper) and bass frequencies are sent to Path B (lower).

In a parallel path only a maximum of 50% of your signal can be effected. So on whatever effect your using 100 = 50, 50 = 25, 25 = 12.5 and so on.

Yes, I can see what you're getting at, but that's only if you leave the dry signal in the parallel path. The whole idea of using a parallel path, imo, is to separate the wet and dry signals. So, typically, you'd set the mix at 100 for the parallel path and control the entire level of the path independently. Of course, there's no hard and fast rules, so do whatever sounds and works best for you!

• 1 month later...

Still think the Helix needs the ability to add split blocks in addition to the two available when you pull a block down to create for example path 1a and 1b. This would allow presets that require a larger number of blocks not to have that split monopolized by only a single delay/reverb block.

This! Exactly this! It's the first thing I've found with the helix that's clearly inferior to my AX8...

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

When the split path gets merged the dry signal from each path gets summed thus it is louder.

For instance reverb and delay on separate paths which I like.

Sounds great but not sure if I like this....

If you take one path and go %100 wet, such as say delay then use either A/B split (not Y) to send how much to the delay.

Or use the merge/mixer block to balance how much delay.

Another way is take the merge block and send path B straight to the output. 
This way sounds different, best in my opinion so far.

Horses for courses I guess.

Any opinions? 

Edited by ECmaj7
new info