Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Buttons for Bank up and down, Mode and Tempo/Tuner locked in?

HudsonHawk

Are these buttons nonassignable?  Meaning if I want to use the Tempo/Tuner for something else, I can't?  Seems counter productive to mandate the user has to have this and waste a button IMO.

Tap cannot be reassigned. 

The bank buttons can be used for stomps. You just have to change your mode to 10 stomps to do that. 

Tap cannot be reassigned. 

The bank buttons can be used for stomps. You just have to change your mode to 10 stomps to do that. 

Time will tell when I get my hands on the Helix.  But this doesn't sound great to me as I'm coming from a MFC101 that had 17 buttons.  I used 10 as presets and 7 instant access switches.  Option to configure the switches for whatever you want, would be much preferred.  At very least have bank up and down locked in and then have Mode available on a long press bank down or something.  As far as mandating that we utilize tempo/tuner....that doesn't sit well for my needs and seems anti what this pedal was created to do with buttons and scribble strips...give you options. 

I make it work for my needs. Sometimes I change the bank up/down to preset up/down and then use the 8 foot switches for snapshots. I get a LOT of use from snapshots. Sometimes I use it in 10 stomp mode. Sometimes 4 stomps, 4 snaps. It just depends on what my needs are that particular time. 

Time will tell when I get my hands on the Helix.  But this doesn't sound great to me as I'm coming from a MFC101 that had 17 buttons.  I used 10 as presets and 7 instant access switches.  Option to configure the switches for whatever you want, would be much preferred.  At very least have bank up and down locked in and then have Mode available on a long press bank down or something.  As far as mandating that we utilize tempo/tuner....that doesn't sit well for my needs and seems anti what this pedal was created to do with buttons and scribble strips...give you options. 

There are quite a few different options on how to configure the switches. The main thing is there are three different modes - preset, stomp and snapshot. There a bunch of different ways you can configure preset mode - I like using the 8 snapshot view. If I want to turn individual stomps on and off, I can just hit the mode switch and get into stomp mode. To change presets, I just hit one of the bank switches to see the preset lists.

There is flexibility, but not what you'd call total flexibility, I guess. I think Line 6 is operating from the premise that not many people want to spend time programming custom layouts for the footswitches. Not to say there aren't some who wouldn't want that... The nice thing is that none of it is completely set in stone as far as being changed/updated in the future. But obviously, a board with 12 switches total is going to be a little more limited than one with 17 switches just by the very fact there's 5 fewer switches.

The Helix Floor has another (4th) exceptionally useful Mode, known as Pedal Edit Mode!

Press the Mode footswitch for 2 seconds. The Preset's first 10 Processing Blocks are displayed (one for each footswitch). Tap the corresponding footswitch to select a desired Block, (or the "More" footswitch to display additional Blocks). Then, tap the desired Parameter footswitch and use the Expression Pedal or [Value -] or [Value +] footswitches to edit. 

See the Helix 2.0 Owner's Manual (Rev D) PDF, Pgs. 12-13 for details. 

Pedal Edit mode is available with the Rack and Helix Control as well...

As the Helix Control lacks an on board expression pedal, would a connected external expression pedal provide parameter value adjustment?