Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

X3 Live - Panning?

es336td

I usually play my X3 Live mono.   When there is room, I run it into my Boogie SOB head and just use the effects portion.  When there isn't room, I plug into my PSM200 and direct to the board, using the amp models.

I just thought of something...  probably can't do it, but I thought I'd ask.   I want to have Tone 1 be my electric signal path.  I want Tone 2 to be my acoustic signal path.   That way, Tone 1 and Tone 2 work like an AB switch.   I know I can do it with my Variax and the power supply, but have been having trouble with using that and have been using batteries.  I guess I could go down and mess with it, but figured I'd ask if it was possible.

Thanx.

L

Sorry, but what are you actually asking? Is it actually related to panning as the title implies?

Yes, you can use Tone 1 and Tone 2 as an A/B switch, effectively doubling the number of single Tones you get from 128 (32 banks * 4 letters) to 256 (32 * 4 * 2 Tones). This feature was apparently added in an early firmware update, version 1.11, rather than being enabled from the beginning, although I struggle to imagine how Line 6 could have forgotten that initially.

Just set the two Tones up to have the same Input, set up the signal paths you want in each respectively, and make sure only one Tone is enabled (read: do not hold Tone 2 to activate Dual). Now the Tone 2 footswitch toggles between the two. Also, the aforementioned firmware update added the much-requested preservation of delay tails when switching between Tone 1 and Tone 2, although still not between separate entire presets.

As you said, if you had tried this, you would quickly have proved that it is possible.

I still have no idea why you mentioned panning in the title. You could pan the two Tones opposite ways and thus A/B them between different mono outputs, but your post itself makes no indication that you want to do this.

True,,,  did not get the point across.   It was in my head, but didn't make it to the post.  Old age sucks...

Basically, I want to pan Tone 1 to the Left and run that into a guitar amp (using only the effects and no amp models).  I want to pan Tone 2 to the Right and run that directly to the board.   That way when I want an acoustic, I press Tone 2.  Otherwise Tone 1 is my main electric.     I know how to set up the one tone vs dual tone thing, just wasn't sure if Tone 1 would bleed into Tone 2 and vice versa.   I depend on the experts on here to save me time before I try something I've thought about.  Thanx.

L

There should be no audible bleeding between the Tones if you have them both (almost) fully panned L and R respectively. I say 'almost' due to one lingering bug in the X3 Panning feature - there is a little bleed if the pan setting is 100%. Back it off just a touch and the bleeding disappears.

... and in terms of saving time, what would it actually take to test this for yourself? A couple of minutes max?...  really, you'll get what you want faster by experimenting.

You might also prefer to split the Tones to the two stereo pairs, Live Out and Direct Out, rather than running them out of the two mono channels of a single output, whose identity you have not specified. Live Out provides unbalanced quarter-inch jacks ideal for amps, whereas Direct Out provides balanced XLR ideal for mixing desks and whatnot. Obviously the massive benefit of this, as opposed to running them both out as mono, is that you get stereo. The types of cable used might be a good thing, too. And moreover, there will be no bleed between the two stereo pairs.

• Upvote 1

There should be no audible bleeding between the Tones if you have them both (almost) fully panned L and R respectively. I say 'almost' due to one lingering bug in the X3 Panning feature - there is a little bleed if the pan setting is 100%. Back it off just a touch and the bleeding disappears.

... and in terms of saving time, what would it actually take to test this for yourself? A couple of minutes max?...  really, you'll get what you want faster by experimenting.

Terminal laziness... 

You might also prefer to split the Tones to the two stereo pairs, Live Out and Direct Out, rather than running them out of the two mono channels of a single output, whose identity you have not specified. Live Out provides unbalanced quarter-inch jacks ideal for amps, whereas Direct Out provides balanced XLR ideal for mixing desks and whatnot. Obviously the massive benefit of this, as opposed to running them both out as mono, is that you get stereo. The types of cable used might be a good thing, too. And moreover, there will be no bleed between the two stereo pairs.

I think I understand... kinda what I had planned; Left 1/4 output to the guitar amp, Right XLR output to the board.  My rig is mono, so stereo would mean completely rewiring everything.   Thanx.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
On 13/09/2013 at 9:34 PM, silverhead said:

Hi, silverhead. I'm "a tad late" (LOL) on this discussion but I still have a X3 live and want to separate the tones (vocal  on right out and acoustic on left out ) for looping purposes. 

How exactly do I need to adjust the panning to avoid the bleeding? If I could manage to get rid of this bleed this will save my life! 

Thanks in advance!