Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Looper with Helix Rack

Doug6String

I think I know the answer to this, but I don't like it so I hope I'm wrong.  Someone suggested using the looper to record the sound and then you can change settings easily while listening.  I have the Helix rack and not the additional floor control and can't figure out a way to use the looper with it.  As a last resort I read the manual and it says "Looper mode is only available if a Looper block has been assigned to a footswitch in Stomp mode."  It seems I can't use this feature.  Any thoughts.  Thanks!

(Are you considering adding Helix Control to your rack eventually? I can't recommend doing so enough... not just as a solution to your current situation, but to make full use of many of the performance and convenience-oriented features that are made available to Helix Rack users - bringing things almost in line with Helix Floor (except for the need to add an expression pedal or two...).)

You need some external device to transmit MIDI, as mentioned above.

I can say this, there is NO way having used the Rack for the past year and some that I'd EVER want to run without Control. It is THAT integral to the whole experience of programming, performing with, and using Helix Rack.

I like to use my looper (Boss RC-20XL) in FX Loop 1 and I wish I could turn off its foldback circuit and only have the recorded loop play through. Having the looper's foldback and the Helix's foldback being summed in the signal path sometimes causes some phase issues and it complicates the gain staging. Sadly, I can't find any info on modding the RC-20XL that would allow me to do this.

Thanks everyone.  I don't play "live" any more and don't anticipate any band in my future so this is in my rack in my home studio with my other gear.  But I hadn't thought about the midi idea  might be a simple, cost-effective way to have the convenience.

Peter - on the Control being integral to programming, is that because you don't use the editor (on PC/Mac)?  Now that I've been on the forum and have learned a lot more, I prob should've bought the floor version even though I don't perform (was only $100 bucks more).  But that's OK.  Helix looks great with my other (lame) looking boards!

Thanks everyone.  I don't play "live" any more and don't anticipate any band in my future so this is in my rack in my home studio with my other gear.  But I hadn't thought about the midi idea  might be a simple, cost-effective way to have the convenience.

Peter - on the Control being integral to programming, is that because you don't use the editor (on PC/Mac)?  Now that I've been on the forum and have learned a lot more, I prob should've bought the floor version even though I don't perform (was only $100 bucks more).  But that's OK.  Helix looks great with my other (lame) looking boards!

If you only play at home, you MIGHT be okay with some other controller, but the ability to use snapshots and turn stomps on and off easily is really amazing, as is pedal edit mode. You CAN get another device to do some of that stuff, but anyone who's used the package together might tell you that Control is really a must.

I play mostly at home right now, and STILL don't want to give all this functionality up.