Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Explosive sound when changing patches

JamieCrain

For a few of my tones, if I change patches using the pedal, before the new tone loads, a very loud "explosive" sound is emitted. It's like a massive electrical crack which lasts just a split second but it is much much louder than the tone itself.

A couple of things I have noticed:

1) it only happens on specific combinations, I.e. Switching from Bank 1/C to Bank 2/D, but not from 1/C to any other patch. But it not a Bank or patch issue it is related to the tone.

2) it appears to be caused by the tone I am switching *from*, not the target tone.

3) rebuilding the tone from scratch and saving over the old version seems to fix the problem.

4) it happens on different amps

But does anyone know what causes this? And is there a permanent fix?

Thanks, Jamie

You say rebuilding the tone fixes it?

I wonder if it is tones that were built on the old firmware that are affected.

I don't have any tones created on the old firmware, not even factory ones so I can't test that for you , but like I say, I used to have the explosion issue very regularly but since I updated and built my tones I have never had it since, I use approx 40 different patches per gig and haven't noticed anything odd for 12 months or so.

I am using a variax not sure if that makes any difference

You say rebuilding the tone fixes it?

I wonder if it is tones that were built on the old firmware that are affected.

No, like you I rebuilt all tones after the update. The latest incident occurred last week after creating a brand new tone from scratch. It's got me puzzled.