Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Duel amps

Anteater74

Hi. I'm a week old Helix user. I've managed to get some great tones and patches so far but am struggling teying to get say a single clean amp...with a few effects (delay..reverb and an overdrive) to getting a 2nd amp on a heavy tight sound?. Ive tried duel paths and can swith the amps but the heavy amp still has the effects of the clean amp running on it?

Any picture examples would be appreciated

Dual paths can work. Best "switch" paths with a gain block at front of each path. Assign switch to 0 on one and -120? (I forget the exact number) on the other. Effectively switching input level of each path.

I run multi amps in series with each other. I usually put the amps on path 1 and cabs on path 2. That way you can share blocks (od, delays, reverbs, etc).

Edit: Make sure one amp block on at a time. With amp block off signal passes uneffected.

Doing a Snapshot setup for this would be ideal for you; each Snapshot would start off with the amp and effect blocks of your choosing on/off as required when you call up that Snapshot.

Instantly turns everything on/off as required for you.

This is the most direct solution to what you're asking, as far as maximizing flexibility and such goes.

Welcome "Anteater" - I've been a Helix owner 6 weeks and this forum saved me from taking a sledgehammer to it to having it be the best music purchase I've made in years.  You prob figured out there are nearly infinite ways to do things with the Helix do to all the options, but I've included two pics below.  As "Monkey" said above, snapshots are perfect for this and I use them on nearly every preset.  Example 1 is a set up I use with 5 snapshots.  It goes from clean to super overdrive.  I have the send/return at the front to engage a $50 tube preamp I sometime use, which adds some pretty cool punch Or really heavy overdrive with a distortion pedal engaged).  This is not the setup you asked about.  Example 2 is one version of 2 amps where the signal chain for #1 feeds into #2.  You can also have path 1 go "out" independently of path 2.  Use the snapshots to engage things to get the sounds you want.  For my presets, I have to use multiple gain/vol pedals at the end since the clean signal chain and crunch to overdrive end up pretty diff volume wise (the preamp really cranks the vol up, of course).  I imagine vol control between snapshots might be handled other ways, but putting the gain pedals at the end works for me.  I like only a few of the distortion pedals when used alone.  But by using 2 at a time, I come much closer to the kind of sound I want, which goes from really nice crunch to heavily processed leads where most of my mistakes are hidden!  Of course how one sets the amp gain, etc., with the distortion pedals will have a big effect.  I haven't spent as much time on that yet, preferring to (for now) start with a clean sounding amp.

post-2532594-0-19449200-1489762038_thumb.png

post-2532594-0-04166600-1489762049_thumb.png

• Upvote 1