Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT25 POWER AMP IN

hichembell

Who already used the line6 DT as power amp to other analog pre amps ?? what was the result ?? was it as good as using regular tube power amp ??

I have hd500 and some analog pre amps that I want to still to use..wanna know if the DT is the way to go thank you

I don't have any analog preamps but I've run my DT25 with HD500X and Helix preamp models.  It sounds amazing.  As for sounding like a tube power amp, it does because it is.  The DT25 has a digital preamp section and a real tube poweramp section.  The icing on the cake is the ability to configure the power amp section (change from class AB to class A, change topologies, etc...).

No other amp on the market (to my knowledge anyways) does what the DT's can do. They are exceptionally unique amps. I have the DT25 and a couple cabs with a HD500 and it sounds excellent. Like any amp you need to understand and experiment as to how to make it work for your needs. The DT's were designed to work digitally with the HD500. The DT power amp input is AFTER the Master volume control. I like my SV 212 as the power amp input still had the master volume involved so you have control. Not so with the DT's. However, in my case, I don't use the DT power amp input (which bypasses the DT preamps). I run the HD500 via line 6 link (digital) into the DT and control everything from the POD. Just the way it was designed to work. Even though you like your analog pre-amps, you may be pleasantly surprised using the HD500 digitally into the DT and see what you can come up with? As DarrellM5 mentioned, the output of the DT's can be configured in different ways. When using the HD500 the DT output configurations are defined by the specific Pre-amp models used (they can also be user configured). It is very interesting stuff but, as mentioned, there is a learning curve to wrap your head around it. If you still want to use your analog pre's then as well as the DT's you "might" also want to sniff at the SV's for their tube power output? Sadly, the SV's are now "legacy" the new fancy word for discontinued but .... can be found used for good prices. Whichever way you end up, it would be good to hear your outcome.

• Upvote 1

I have used my old ADA MP-1 with the DTs (I have a 25 and a 50 112s)....These amps are fantastic...I was seriously on the road to betting a Mark V because I wanted Class switching. I have played alongside Mark IVs and Vs with friends that have been blown away that my tone cost so much less.

I think the DT50 sounds a bit better than the 25. But it has more to do with the increased headroom of the amp and the tube. I much prefer EL34s over EL84s. The DT50 also has a return level control that the DT25 does not have. It's basically a second analog master volume when the return is used.

waw...DT all the way,,its been months since I hesitate...now with all those positive replies I think i'm a converted line6 user...what about reliability of the product. I dont have any issue with my hd500, despite tone suck with 4 cable method ...what about the DT ...I see alot of people  complaning about fuse, hiss , no more sound, no more topology switching ...are these isolated situations ?? or is the DT series known for such kind of technical problems and issues. thank you for your help 

EDIT : one more question. It appears that the DT voicings use cab simulation ...do you think that if i use an external cab sim IRS with the hd in conjunction with the DT may results in better results ?? many people complain about the cab of the hd ..I know that using external irs when going in to pa results in better sound ...what about using this technique when using the DT amps. the idea is using torpedo cab in the loop of the hd before going into L6 LINK. 

Last question, is it that difficult to make the DT shine with the HD. lot of people here complain about it stating that the DT sounds better alone 

It is definitely easier to spin up great tone on the amp alone....It works like any tube amp does...dead simple...HD is a little deeper. Topology Class swings from A<->AB are not seamless at low volume. The reason for this is how those classes work. A class A amplifier has no master volume and is running a full tilt, AB has different operating levels. Not a great idea to change class in the middle of a song when you need seamless transition with the amp running at low volume. It can pop a bit. In terms of noise, mine had white noise until I changed the 12AX7s in the DT50...DT25 is better on noise as it has a solid-state buffer to drive the inverter tube...DT50 has a tube buffer driving the inverter tube...always a little noisier...just need good tubes and the stock EH tubes completely suck....The power tubes are good though. I think there was a batch of noisey EH 12AX7s when the DT50 came out as it seemed a few folks found the same thing.