Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help me out gang. Alto ts212 or behringer f1220d

CBTL

Don't buy anything that says "Behringer" on it.... ;)

I would have agreed with you 100% in the 1990s through about 2005, but they made some huge changes in their manufacturing in the early to mid 2000s. Nowadays, totally unlike 10-15 years ago, in my experience Behringer has improved to the point of being probably the best of the very-low-budget brands.

For example, I had a little $80 Behringer 4-channel mixer in the late 90s and it was the lousiest-sounding piece of $#!+ you could imagine. Noisy, severely band-limited, unreliable with crackly pots, loose input jacks, etc. They also made a rackmount guitar modeler, called the V-Amp Pro, around 2003 or so. I had the school I taught at buy a couple for the students to use, and while they were fine sound-wise for the time (roughly on par with Pod XT), the knobs and input jacks kept failing and I kept having to replace them. This is the "old Behringer" that you're probably thinking of - "they're so cheap you can buy two, and you should since at least one will fail."

Then around 2011 or so I tried their updated 4-channel mixer and the new one is absolutely fine. I even tested it using an impulse response analysis and match EQ, and it checks out admirably clean and transparent. I've owned it for 7 years now, and it's been completely reliable so far. Around the same time, I bought a couple of the B208D active speakers, as well as the much much nicer QSC K8 and K10s.

The B208D doesn't sound as nice as the K8, and it craps out and hits its limiter probably 20dB sooner, but on an extremely limited budget for home practice you could do a LOT worse for the same price.

The F1220D is not a speaker I have experience with, but it's probably not total crap based on my experience with the B208D; it's probably adequate for the purpose and no worse than anything else in that price range.

However, for the OP I would lean more toward "buy once, cry once." I suggest you save up for the nicest thing you can possibly afford - it saves a lot of money in the long run. Yamaha, E/V and JBL all make better stuff at a slightly higher price point; or you can look for a used QSC K-series or similar.

Let's just say that they have a somewhat lackluster reputation when it comes to reliability, durability, customer service, etc. Maybe it's deserved, maybe it isn't...but when a company is consistently criticized, there's usually a reason. Poke around on the interwebs...it won't t take you long to find complaints.

Go with the Altos...lots of guys here are thrilled with them.

I would have agreed with you 100% in the 1990s through about 2005, but they made some huge changes in their manufacturing in the early to mid 2000s. Nowadays, totally unlike 10-15 years ago, in my experience Behringer has improved to the point of being probably the best of the very-low-budget brands.

For example, I had a little $80 Behringer 4-channel mixer in the late 90s and it was the lousiest-sounding piece of $#!+ you could imagine. Noisy, severely band-limited, unreliable with crackly pots, loose input jacks, etc. They also made a rackmount guitar modeler, called the V-Amp Pro, around 2003 or so. I had the school I taught at buy a couple for the students to use, and while they were fine sound-wise for the time (roughly on par with Pod XT), the knobs and input jacks kept failing and I kept having to replace them. This is the "old Behringer" that you're probably thinking of - "they're so cheap you can buy two, and you should since at least one will fail."

Fair enough....miracles happen sometimes, lol. And yes, I had a similar experience with that very same mixer back in the day, which turned me of to anything Behringer since. But if they've improved, good for them!

Haven't listened to any of Behringer's speakers. We run their X32 board, S16 in/out rack, and P16 IEM controllers on stage and they are fantastic. Alto 210s sound good. If you play any 7 string stuff, you may wan the 12" version for more low end. 

It's for home use! I'm looking at going frfr, on a budget lol a wedge style works for my lack of room.

I am using a Alto TS215 that give me full range for setting up the tones I want.  For my setup I use the 1/4 out to a DI that runs in the Input 1.  I set the Alto Volume 1 to 3 o'clock.  Then I adjust my Helix to liking.  YMMV

Dennis

I also use a TS210 and and I'm totally satisfyed. Already the TS210 has plenty of bass if you want. When used as a wedge monitor on the floor it does pick up bass and I still have to cut low frequencies with the Helix global EQ. I also hesitated between the 12 and 10 inch. No regrets. My top pick would be the Yamaha DXR10.but that's twice the price. I would buy 2x TS210 to help the sound dispersion a bit.

I'm also a happy Alto user... albeit the older TS110As. For the price point, they sound really good. I've used them live with my old HD500x with great success. - I haven't yet had the opportunity to go direct to FOH with the Helix.The added bonus of them not being to heavy is awesome. I can carry my guitar, my Helix in it's case over my shoulder, and a TS110A all in ONE trip from the car to the rehearsal space!

So, alto ts210 or 212

That's really up to you. Do you want a lighter load? Go for the 10. More frequency range?...oddly guitar center states the 210 has more range... Wait... Really?

I'd grab the 10. I like lighter and I like more range.