Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500X Newbie Question

steve4991

Hey all,

I'm looking into getting the HD500X to help consolidate my current mess of individual pedals, but also provide more options. I have a great tube amp (Blackstar HT Stage 60) who's tone I don't want to sacrifice with this kind of product.

So, to put it briefly, can I run my guitar and remaining individual pedals as normal (guitar, to pedals to amp) and then run the HD500X to my amps effects loop just like I did with my DD-20?  Will this "digitalize" my overall tone? I don't want to use the POD as a preamp nor do I plan to use it direct to PA. I just want to use it as a multi-effects go-to in order to avoid having to have all the individual pedals without sacrificing that tube amp tone.

Any info is appreciated, and I'm sorry I'm not as technical on all this as I should be!

Steve

Yes you can but you would have been better off buying one of the Line6 M Series effects units.  http://line6.com/m-series-effects-pedals/

You're using a modeler that has effects for just effects rather than an effects unit for effects.  It'll work but it's kind'a like buying a car to listen to the radio but never driving it anywhere.

Lol, what is the example I use ---- using the 500 without using the modeling is like buying a Ferrari and only using it to drive to the end of the driveway to get your mail. 

The truth is - and I mean the absolute complete truth - anything you plug into any jack is going to modify the sound. I know guys who use one foot chords in the studio to get the "purist" tone possible. And they would use shorter if they could. 

So, if you are that much in love with your amp tone... sorry, you won't like the pod. 

But, on the off chance that you aren't as much of a cork sniffer as we think, you'll like the pod. 

And when you pull your head out of your lollipop and realize that you never need to use an amp again, you'll LOVE the pod. 

Ok, so let's say I do want to utilize the amp models that are part of the POD HD and i'm running it through my amps effects loop.

Will it still sound amazing as a result of my tube amp, or do the amp models completely take over my original tone?

I use a PODHD into the effects return of a pair of Marshall JCM900s and cabs.  I do this because it's sounds as good or better than the original amps and it's a clean solution.  I haven't been able to give up a tube amp but I really like the setup of a PODHD into a tube amp.

Will it still sound amazing as a result of my tube amp, or do the amp models completely take over my original tone?

Well, the whole idea is that an amp modeling device replaces at least the preamp section of your tube amp. So yes, it will completely take over your original tone as far as the preamp and tone stack are concerned. Using the 4CM and running the amp model through your amp's FX loop retains the power amp and cab section of your amp so you should not use a cab/mic selection in the POD HD preset.

Whether or not it sounds amazing like your tube amp only you can decide. But it certainly gives you the flexibility to have a couple of dozen different tube amps at your fingertips.

I know nothing about stuff like this, as I've been a single pedal dude for 12 years

After spending a decade building my rig to perfection, and then not updating it for 20 years (it was perfect, why would I need to change anything), I bought an HD500.

Sure, it may have taken me a year (when the size and programming of a rig has been implemented into a stage show, it is harder to just dump it) for me to completely transition to using the HD500 exclusively. But that is where I am. The pod replaced everything that went between me and the mixer/pa.

I go guitar > pod > pa.

Load up, load in, set up, sound check, tear down, load out, and unload - it all takes me 10 minutes.

With the old rig, gigs were all day events. 

16 hour days vs 4 hour nights. 

A truck load of gear vs the trunk of a sports car. 

And flying for gigs is so much easier if you need to take your own gear. A pod fits in a suitcase. Try doing that with an amp or fx rack. 

IMHO it is not going to sound as good as your amp even with the 4CM 

But that said the modeling can get near to 90% there as the real thing.

The advantage is you have a bunch of modeled preamps to increase your palate of tones.

Using the Amps power section will help it as well.

You have to set it up to find what works the best with your amp.

In 4CM you still have your amp's pre amp at any time.

Best of all there are a bunch of FX to try out and you can make patches

of your favorites.

From those, it could help you decide which pedals you'd prefer as the real thing if you

want to buy them for a 100% sounding and feeling rig.

Again it is subjective and many like the versatility of the HD. MAny also take advantage of using 

powered speakers as monitors onstage, many go direct to FOH

A few have reported from time to time they weren't able to make it work.

If you can try one out first and find out how to set it up here in this forum for your amp first

it would be worthwhile.

If you want the best modeled tone/FX you can get from Line 6, get a Helix. It's simply a better box all the way around for doing 4CM with an amp. Higher resolution modeling, better conversion, better buffers and control relays...just my take...

One issue I'm having so far -

So I'm enjoying scrolling through the amp models and hearing the diff tones. I currently have the 4CM running to my amp, kept on the clean channel. The clean tones sound fantastic and the effects on top sound beautiful.

The problem is the distortion options - once I start playing with the distortion options, everything just sounds so...digitalized. I may find a dist. that sounds decent, but once I start adding on my wah pedal or another effect, it sounds like i'm plugging straight into a digital solid state effects amp, like, worse than my Roland cube. 

Is this because of the order of my effects? I currently have on this set up -  from left to right - my two distortion pedals, then the phaser, then my amp model, then the delays and reverbs, then the loop.

Should I try moving the amp to the front of the lineup or to the very back?

Is this because of the order of my effects? I currently have on this set up -  from left to right - my two distortion pedals, then the phaser, then my amp model, then the delays and reverbs, then the loop.

Should I try moving the amp to the front of the lineup or to the very back?

Could be, in my case, using the 4CM I usually place the FX LOOP block after the distortions/OD's, but BEFORE the Delays/Reverbs. Something like this: Gate > Comp > Dist1/Dist2 > AMP>Mixer>FX LOOP > Delay > Reverb. In the end, your ears should guide you. 

Could be, in my case, using the 4CM I usually place the FX LOOP block after the distortions/OD's, but BEFORE the Delays/Reverbs. Something like this: Gate > Comp > Dist1/Dist2 > AMP>Mixer>FX LOOP > Delay > Reverb. In the end, your ears should guide you. 

I think the mixer and the FX loop parts of the chain I'm missing. I'm not sure how to add those on or what they will look like. I use the board itself for set up, not the PC software. but it sounds like the mixer option could help me fine tune the sound.

I think the mixer and the FX loop parts of the chain I'm missing. I'm not sure how to add those on or what they will look like. I use the board itself for set up, not the PC software. but it sounds like the mixer option could help me fine tune the sound.

Yes, there are a lot of topics related to the mixer and what it does. Check this one: http://line6.com/support/topic/2033-pod-hd-500-500x-routing-schematics/ 
Also, when you have some free time check this guide: http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/ 

You will find that there are a lot of things that you could do with the MIXER (none of them are wrong or right). Some use it as a boost to level all the patches (placing it at the end of the chain), others have panned the signal to center, others 100% L/R, etc...

If you are using the four cable method with your tube amp, I can assume that your chain has no dual amps (or two paths), you have a single chain setup, if that is the case, the mixer has little relevance because there are no splits/special routes in your chain. My suggestion there (how I use it) is to leave it default (100% left - 100% right), you can increase the levels a little if you want (some people say that the 4CM has a -3db/-6db loss and you should compensate it in the mixer, but I don't do it and it sounds fine to me), you should consider that if you increase those levels the next effect (or amp) in your chain will be boosted, and can cause undesired/desired result. With the FX LOOP, is about placement only...you can boost the RETURN if you want, to match levels of your amp and the POD, (I don't do it). With the 4CM think about the FX LOOP as your physical AMP Preamp stage... Like I said before, there are no rules, your ears should guide you. I suggest you can check the POD GUIDE posted before, it will help a lot to understand how the beast works.