Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Please help me set my daughter a mini studio using FBV MKII

Hi, off the back of this thread;

http://line6.com/support/topic/25717-can-i-record-loops-with-fbv-express-mkii-spider-iii/

Long story short, I'm a complete noob with no idea, I'm trying to set up a kind of mini studio for my daughter in the shed...I have the FBV MKII and Spider III, I thought I would be able to record loops but it turns out I can't so am now looking at my options.

I'm not loaded, I picked the above up for a bargain and having spoken to her I'd like to try and sort out (as cheaply as possible - ie 2nd hand) a kind of mini studio, she plays keyboard and guitar (and drums) I'd like her to be able to control and record loops via the FBV MKII - I assume we'd have to plug into a laptop via a mixer, but like I said, I'm a total noob so after some help and advice/guidance.

Thanks in advance :)

Quite honestly, trying to use the equipment you have to do what you want is the wrong approach.

First - a looper is used to record a live playing of an instrument - for example a rhythm guitar (or keyboard) part - so you can then set it to play back that loop and then play another part (lead guitar, for example) over the top of it.  When you turn off the looper, you usually lose what was recorded, its not saved in memory.

More expensive loopers will allow you to record and save tracks (or even download them from a computer) and record longer loops - these typically go for $300 and more.

The FBV, while having some MIDI capability, is a difficult way to control recording software - handy if you are performing when you want to start/stop/change things using a foot pedal, but that's about it.  You've got to go into the MIDI settings of the FBV and the software to set it up.

If you are trying to set up your daughter for recording songs (not just looping for live 'practice'), it would be better and easier to do it with an audio interface (or USB mixer which some have suggested, however mixers have limits) and recording software (Audacity is free, but limited, many audio interfaces come with a limited edition DAW - recording software).

Quite honestly, trying to use the equipment you have to do what you want is the wrong approach.

First - a looper is used to record a live playing of an instrument - for example a rhythm guitar (or keyboard) part - so you can then set it to play back that loop and then play another part (lead guitar, for example) over the top of it.  When you turn off the looper, you usually lose what was recorded, its not saved in memory.

More expensive loopers will allow you to record and save tracks (or even download them from a computer) and record longer loops - these typically go for $300 and more.

The FBV, while having some MIDI capability, is a difficult way to control recording software - handy if you are performing when you want to start/stop/change things using a foot pedal, but that's about it.  You've got to go into the MIDI settings of the FBV and the software to set it up.

If you are trying to set up your daughter for recording songs (not just looping for live 'practice'), it would be better and easier to do it with an audio interface (or USB mixer which some have suggested, however mixers have limits) and recording software (Audacity is free, but limited, many audio interfaces come with a limited edition DAW - recording software).

Hi, Thanks for the reply - I'm really torn how to proceed.

I understand the loop pedal, that's why I was going to get a Spider IV - that would get me to where I thought I was when I bough these, however having spoken to my daughter she quite likes the idea of a recording studio, being able to play guitar and keyboard she can pretty much do everything.

So looking at the responses I'm likely better off selling the loop unless she wants to use it with a Spider IV (type) amp for some live loops and get a mixer & software. Are there any particular setups I should consider? I mean, what is a good/reasonable brand and what's something to avoid? Bear in mind I've no idea what I'm doing so the easier to setup and 'support' the better!

Thanks again

At this point, the only reason for getting a mixer would be if your daughter wanted to have a 'band' (multiple people) all recording at the same time, and you don't want to invest in an audio interface with enough inputs.

If it's just going to be her doing everything at this time, she doesn't need a mixer (a mixer takes multiple sources and mixes down to stereo), just an audio interface, and one with 2 inputs/mic preamps should be adequate to start.

So the basic needs:

Audio interface

headphones and monitors (can get away with just headphones to start)

Microphone?  Is she going to be recording vocals, acoustic guitar (or other acoustic instruments including drums)?  Also need mic stand and cables

DAW - Digital Audio Workstation - recording software

Not know what you have for current equipment makes it hard to recommend anything.

If you have an Apple/Mac computer, then you can use Garageband as the DAW.  If not, then Audacity is free - but rather limited.

Here's some packages from guitar center:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/IK-Multimedia/iRig-Pro-Duo-Studio-Suite.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tascam/TrackPack-2x2-Complete-Recording-Studio-for-Mac-Windows.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Focusrite/Scarlett-Solo-Recording-Bundle-with-MXL-Mic-and-AKG-Headphones.gc

• Upvote 1

Adding to the good suggestions and info from ffbrgst...... and recognizing that you are a self-proclaimed newbie.... apologies in advance if some of this is too basic......

The audio interface is a piece of hardware that allows your sound-producing equipment like guitar, keyboard, etc. to communicate with your computer and a software audio recording program that runs on the computer.

Typically a guitar player will want to apply some signal processing to the raw 'dry' guitar signal. This is often done with outboard (not on your computer) equipment such as your Spider amp. You would connect the amp output (or place a mic in front of the amp) to the audio interface to record the processed sound. However there are also software options for guitar processing that run on your computer, eliminating the need for a physical guitar amp and associated pedals.

There are many manufacturers of both audio interfaces and software-based guitar processing tools. Since this is the Line 6 forum I will point you to their offerings in this domain. The Studio suite of audio interfaces come bundled with the Pod Farm software so that you get interface device and processing software in a single package.

http://line6.com/products/#computer

The other piece you will need is the audio recording software (DAW). Again there are many options - and generally you get what you pay for. Line 6 does not play in this domain. You will have all the looping tools you need for recording (not live gigging) in any reasonably capable DAW.

I think your needs, at least initially, would be well met by one of the free or low-cost DAW options. I suggest you look at GarageBand (Mac only), Audacity, Riffworks, and Reaper. The latter, Reaper, is a seriously powerful DAW that is, imho, the best bang-for-the-buck price you will find in this domain. But it has a steeper learning curve than the others.

My overall recommendation for your daughter would be the Line 6 Studio UX1 including Pod Farm, Reaper, and a reasonably powerful computer. Sell your FBV MKII to generate some funds. You can sell or keep the Spider amp depending on whether or not your daughter wants to be strictly studio/computer dependent or wants to occasionally just plug into a guitar amp either for practice or playing out.

Hope this helps, and good luck to you and your daughter!

At this point, the only reason for getting a mixer would be if your daughter wanted to have a 'band' (multiple people) all recording at the same time, and you don't want to invest in an audio interface with enough inputs.

If it's just going to be her doing everything at this time, she doesn't need a mixer (a mixer takes multiple sources and mixes down to stereo), just an audio interface, and one with 2 inputs/mic preamps should be adequate to start.

So the basic needs:

Audio interface

headphones and monitors (can get away with just headphones to start)

Microphone?  Is she going to be recording vocals, acoustic guitar (or other acoustic instruments including drums)?  Also need mic stand and cables

DAW - Digital Audio Workstation - recording software

Not know what you have for current equipment makes it hard to recommend anything.

If you have an Apple/Mac computer, then you can use Garageband as the DAW.  If not, then Audacity is free - but rather limited.

Here's some packages from guitar center:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/IK-Multimedia/iRig-Pro-Duo-Studio-Suite.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tascam/TrackPack-2x2-Complete-Recording-Studio-for-Mac-Windows.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Focusrite/Scarlett-Solo-Recording-Bundle-with-MXL-Mic-and-AKG-Headphones.gc

Brilliant, thanks very much :)

FTR I just have the FBV MKII, Spider III and a spare (but a bit rubbish) laptop. I will look into mic & stands and audio interfaces and potentially upgrading the Spider to a IV so she can loop if she wants to.

Adding to the good suggestions and info from ffbrgst...... and recognizing that you are a self-proclaimed newbie.... apologies in advance if some of this is too basic......

The audio interface is a piece of hardware that allows your sound-producing equipment like guitar, keyboard, etc. to communicate with your computer and a software audio recording program that runs on the computer.

Typically a guitar player will want to apply some signal processing to the raw 'dry' guitar signal. This is often done with outboard (not on your computer) equipment such as your Spider amp. You would connect the amp output (or place a mic in front of the amp) to the audio interface to record the processed sound. However there are also software options for guitar processing that run on your computer, eliminating the need for a physical guitar amp and associated pedals.

There are many manufacturers of both audio interfaces and software-based guitar processing tools. Since this is the Line 6 forum I will point you to their offerings in this domain. The Studio suite of audio interfaces come bundled with the Pod Farm software so that you get interface device and processing software in a single package.

http://line6.com/products/#computer

The other piece you will need is the audio recording software (DAW). Again there are many options - and generally you get what you pay for. Line 6 does not play in this domain. You will have all the looping tools you need for recording (not live gigging) in any reasonably capable DAW.

I think your needs, at least initially, would be well met by one of the free or low-cost DAW options. I suggest you look at GarageBand (Mac only), Audacity, Riffworks, and Reaper. The latter, Reaper, is a seriously powerful DAW that is, imho, the best bang-for-the-buck price you will find in this domain. But it has a steeper learning curve than the others.

My overall recommendation for your daughter would be the Line 6 Studio UX1 including Pod Farm, Reaper, and a reasonably powerful computer. Sell your FBV MKII to generate some funds. You can sell or keep the Spider amp depending on whether or not your daughter wants to be strictly studio/computer dependent or wants to occasionally just plug into a guitar amp either for practice or playing out.

Hope this helps, and good luck to you and your daughter!

Many thanks for the clear explanation! I will see what she really wants to do, having said about keeping the FBV I think at this stage she can't have her cake and eat it...like you say (and I'm sure she'll agree) rather sell the FBV and go the PC route with a laptop (any recommendation on specs?) Would we be better off with a Mac/Apple for this kind of work?

Thanks guys, this info is gold :)

.......... and go the PC route with a laptop (any recommendation on specs?) Would we be better off with a Mac/Apple for this kind of work? ..... 

Any reasonably new laptop should be OK. You can find the minimum requirements for most software products on the mafacturer's website for that product. For instance, the Pod Farm requirements are at the bottom of this page:

http://line6.com/pod-farm/

Mac vs. PC is a matter of religion...... ;)  They will both do the job quite nicely.

Just about any current computer will have a fast enough processor for audio recording.  4G or more RAM will suffice as well - of course the more RAM (and faster processor) the better.  Be sure that whatever audio interface you choose has drivers available for the computer's OS (Win 10, etc).

• 1 month later...

Any reasonably new laptop should be OK. You can find the minimum requirements for most software products on the mafacturer's website for that product. For instance, the Pod Farm requirements are at the bottom of this page:

http://line6.com/pod-farm/

Mac vs. PC is a matter of religion...... ;)  They will both do the job quite nicely.

Just about any current computer will have a fast enough processor for audio recording.  4G or more RAM will suffice as well - of course the more RAM (and faster processor) the better.  Be sure that whatever audio interface you choose has drivers available for the computer's OS (Win 10, etc).

Hi, so I finally got round to this - I have a Line 6 Pod Studio UX1 (V2) with Pod farm en route, I also have picked up a reasonably powerful laptop (i5 with 8GB)...so am on my way.

Regarding software I will likely go with Audacity then upgrade if she is using the kit to Reaper as suggested.

I do have a couple more questions;

1) The laptop only has a 128GB SSD HDD, is that going to be enough space for editing? I guess I could add an external HDD for completed work.

2) Any advice on mics, it'll be for recording acoustic guitar and potentially drums (thought she does have a keyboard) - I've seen the M-Audio recording studio, is that any good?

Thanks again for all your help :)

128G is fine to get started.  Note that what takes up memory are the stored files.  If she starts using the computer to download/process videos, that memory will fill up pretty quickly, though.

For a mic - you are limited, by using the UX1 to a dynamic mic that does not need phantom power - not an ideal choice for recording acoustic guitar (or vocals, really), but its a place to start.  If your daughter decides she wants to keep doing this (and be serious about it), you'll need to move up to an audio interface that can supply phantom power and that has more than one mic preamp.  I would not suggest getting a phantom power preamp device, much better to move up to a better AI.

Note here's a link to the PodFarm/UX1 online manual:

http://line6.com/data/6/0a060b316ac34f0593c764e79/application/pdf/POD%20Farm%202%20Advanced%20User%20Guide%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20B%20).pdf

For a mic, the obvious answer would be a Shure SM58 (primarily a live vocal mic) or the Shure SM57 (primarily an instrument mic, but its basically the same as an SM58 without the ball end)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SM58

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SM57

The Sennheiser E835 is also a decent choice: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/E835

Note that these all typically sell for $100, but you can sometimes get package deals that include an XLR cable and mic stand.  Do not buy a used Shure mic from ebay or any private seller - there are a ton of counterfeits out there.

None of these mics are ideal for recording, but if your daughter later wants to start performing live, they are mainstays of the live stage.

There are cheaper versions of the Shure mics, too.

"recording drums" - if you mean recording a set of drums, typically you would use at least 4 mics to do this (snare, kick and 2 overheads).  More mics for bigger kits.  If you mean electronic drums, these often have a USB output (hopefully audio and not just MIDI) and this can then be plugged direct into the computer, not using the UX1 at all.

128G is fine to get started.  Note that what takes up memory are the stored files.  If she starts using the computer to download/process videos, that memory will fill up pretty quickly, though.

For a mic - you are limited, by using the UX1 to a dynamic mic that does not need phantom power - not an ideal choice for recording acoustic guitar (or vocals, really), but its a place to start.  If your daughter decides she wants to keep doing this (and be serious about it), you'll need to move up to an audio interface that can supply phantom power and that has more than one mic preamp.  I would not suggest getting a phantom power preamp device, much better to move up to a better AI.

Note here's a link to the PodFarm/UX1 online manual:

http://line6.com/data/6/0a060b316ac34f0593c764e79/application/pdf/POD%20Farm%202%20Advanced%20User%20Guide%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20B%20).pdf

For a mic, the obvious answer would be a Shure SM58 (primarily a live vocal mic) or the Shure SM57 (primarily an instrument mic, but its basically the same as an SM58 without the ball end)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SM58

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SM57

The Sennheiser E835 is also a decent choice: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/E835

Note that these all typically sell for $100, but you can sometimes get package deals that include an XLR cable and mic stand.  Do not buy a used Shure mic from ebay or any private seller - there are a ton of counterfeits out there.

None of these mics are ideal for recording, but if your daughter later wants to start performing live, they are mainstays of the live stage.

There are cheaper versions of the Shure mics, too.

"recording drums" - if you mean recording a set of drums, typically you would use at least 4 mics to do this (snare, kick and 2 overheads).  More mics for bigger kits.  If you mean electronic drums, these often have a USB output (hopefully audio and not just MIDI) and this can then be plugged direct into the computer, not using the UX1 at all.

Cheers, she may want to do vocals too so I will keep an eye out for a deal on either the E835 or SM58 (I assume they will be ok for instruments too?). She will have to make do with the keyboard for drum recording for now!

I had no idea how expensive all this stuff is, this looks like a pretty good deal but what with the other bits bought will have to wait. If she starts showing real interest then I will pick something up and as long as she's using the stuff and showing interest I don't mind putting some better kit behind her down the road, but for now at least she has something to get her going.

I don't suppose you know if there are any mics around half that price that would be ok for a stop-gap or would I be better off just waiting?

Didn't realize you are in the UK, not sure what standard prices are like there.  Thomann is the large equipment dealer I have heard of over there, and their price for the same Shure mic package is a little higher.  The Sennheiser package is a little cheaper:  https://www.thomann.de/gb/sennheiser_e835_s_bundle.htm  and this lower-model Shure is even cheaper:  https://www.thomann.de/gb/shure_sm_48_lc_bundle.htm

You have quickly found what everyone involved in music production already knows - it can be a bottomless money pit!  But much better to spend a little more now, than to be ocnstnatly replacing inferior cheaper equipment.

Didn't realize you are in the UK, not sure what standard prices are like there.  Thomann is the large equipment dealer I have heard of over there, and their price for the same Shure mic package is a little higher.  The Sennheiser package is a little cheaper:  https://www.thomann.de/gb/sennheiser_e835_s_bundle.htm  and this lower-model Shure is even cheaper:  https://www.thomann.de/gb/shure_sm_48_lc_bundle.htm

You have quickly found what everyone involved in music production already knows - it can be a bottomless money pit!  But much better to spend a little more now, than to be ocnstnatly replacing inferior cheaper equipment.

Thanks again, the sm48 bundle seems quite reasonable - I will see how she would like to proceed.

Thanks again for you help :)