Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

L3t Vs Anything

well i talked to people  on hear about the stagesource speakers and finally took the plunge and got my first (of many i hope) l3t today.I did something i don't normally do but i ordered it without ever seeing one or let alone hearing it!!!! in australia they don't seem to carry them in-store at many places, so i don't know how they expect to sell them if you can't see them.Anyway i digress, i un-packed it and plugged it in - HOLY F(lollypop) S(lollypop)-those of you in the know can see that my posts have been censored before so i thought i'd beat them to it this time. i've always had quality speakers- bose l1, fishman soloamp,yamaha msr400,jbl prx.This thing blew 'em all out of the water.I  am a vocal/guitar & use a boss rc30 looper in a duo with a bass player. the percussion on the looper always sounded "jumbled' & unclear. The kick had no punch and tambourine had no definition or clarity.But not on the l3t, i was blown away by the clarity and how each instument i had going through it sounded. the improvement in tone and fullness had to be heard to be believed.In my youth {i'm sure i'm not old enuff to be saying that] in the late 80's i used to own a single 3-way PA and light show, back then i needed a 5 ton truck to transport it. As well as my band using it, i used to hire it out and would mix for other bands.i thought  i did a pretty decent job of FOH &FB , bearing in mind that some people don't realize that cr**p on-stage = cr**p out FOH. That was until the day i got some regular work from a full-time professional (in the true sense as these guys were red-hot players) cover band. They had there own sound engineer and he made that PA sound way better than i ever did,i tried to learn as much as i could off him but that sound he produced always alluded me. it's something that has always haunted me and has always been the standard that i have used to compare other systems with-until today. The curse has finaly been broken and i did it straight out of the box with-out any effort at all. i finally have found that sound , clarity and definition again. i only hope my l3t loves me as much as i love it because a one-sided love affair never works!!!!!! Sound and tonal characteristics are a personal thing and i appreciate that , but in a lot of peoples cases they don't realize how poor their sound is as they've never used pro-quality gear for a decent amount of time.It's a bit like the time we first heard fm radio - initially we didn't understand what the fuss was about until we had been listening to it over an extended period of time , then after a while when we heard am radio again we realized how bad am really sounded. i'm sure not every-one will love stagesource speakers the way i do but i don't think any-one with experience with quality gear will deny the sound quality of these. anyway thats my thoughts and if you're thinking of getting these then just do it - you won't be dissapointed i'm sure.

PS- i would rate myself as fairly competant with PA gear so if you don't seem as pleased with your stagesource speaker as i am then i've only one thing to say READ THE MANUAL!!!!!!!! to learn how to use them.

• Upvote 1

Congratulations! :)

I honestly have not heard such a small set of speakers fill such large rooms as we have with our StageSource and StageScape.
They're worth their weight in gold for getting rid of so many sound issues and allowing a musician to focus on making good music and having a good time.

I don't think we've even come close to clipping and we've turned them (2 L3M's and 2 L3S's)
up to ear bleeding heart pounding levels that we would never get to during actual performances. (with the sound still clear as could be mind you)

We actually had a professional sound engineer come up to us one day after hearing our performance
who said it was the clearest most crisp sound he's ever heard at something that wasn't a top notch profesional event.

Enjoy falling in love lol

• Upvote 1

telf - I am so glad to read a post from someone as happy with their purchase as I was. I was going to try the stagesource system out before committed to them, because I didn't believe they could compete well with my set up I had. But after the store agreed to get them in for me with no money down try out, I sold my other system. Didn't expect it to sell so quick but when someone wanted it for exactly what I asked, I sold the system. So I had nothing while I waited for the stagesource speakers to arrive. I was worried, but was soon "wowed"! I completely understand how you feel!

I love them!

• Upvote 1

I just picked up my 2 L3M's and 2 L3S's yesterday...haven't had a chance to jam with them yet but did run some backing tracks through them. As with everyone I have spoken to and every review I have read...I was not let down. Actually I was more than impressed! This system is absolutely phenomenal!! 

Can't wait to Jam tomorrow with the rest of the guys and see the expression on their faces! :D

had my first hit out with my duo partner me on vocals/ guitar and him on bass. i use an jumbo acoustic strung with nylon strings ( i like the way it sounds so stop your laughing } into a digitech rp-500 and yes i use all the overdrives, delay,reverbs, wah etc. Percussion is a boss rc-30 looper using the on-board rythms as well as tambourines , hand-claps, spoons , shakers,beat-boxing and what ever else we can hit that makes a sound ,layered on top.the bass player uses an old-school 80's ibanez musician bass (think Sting) DI out of a roland cube 30. the roland's only purpose is as his personal monitor and the volume is turned really low. the l3t on the other hand is cranked really loud. as stated in my previous post i can't understate the clarity and purity of the tone. obviously at the levels we played at with normal speakers using an acoustic with overdrive would lead to barely controllable feedback (but you learn a few tricks on how to minimise it ) but the thing i found super impressive with the l3t was that i could hear when feedback was building and could hear it being killed off by the feedback suppressor (set on green mode ). i'm sure no-one else was aware of it as it wasn't obvious and some-times i was using the feedback as a sustain before dampening it my self. just super happy that i can use heavy overdrives at high volumes now where-as i used to use a "crunch" sound at high volumes to avoid any un-controllable feedback.we generally play small rooms up to 200 people and will get another l3t but that would only be for dispersion ,not for pumping out more DB's.i really enjoy how an audience (usually other muso's) wonder how i get such a heavy sound out of an acoustic. they appear bemused by it. and now i can do it at any volume!!!   i used to use a fishman soloamp and some msr 400's as extension speakers when required. i used to think the soloamp was hi-fi clean sound (which it is for vocals and traditional acoustic guitar-   ie. with-out the the effects i put on it) but i was pushing the limits of its designed purpose ,especially putting percussion through it (tried putting bass into it at low volumes as well but it doesn't handle it at all) . the l3t on the other hand can handle everything (vocals ,distorted guitars, bass and percussion ) that i put thru it with ease and headroom to spare.i just simply wouldn't fail to recomend it to any-one as an all round weapon thats as good as and often better than any-thing else on the market. perfect for a soloist, great for a duo/trio/quartet, a small band has a vocal PA that they can now put a kick & snare through to give a bit more punch(i've done this as well) or if you think your Motorhead ('coz they're definitely the loudest gig i've been to) just add some l3s under your l3t and you won't be "Killed by death " you'll be killed by volume .(haven't done this but i'd like to try it) do you think i like 'em ? sure do!!!!!

PS just as a footnote i've noticed in a lot of topic's that people seem to be causing themselve's a lot of pain by "fiddling with all the knobs on their equipment". in my experience i've found that if i shape my sound/tone from my guitar and effects unit, which is always set the same, then it doesn't really matter what i plug into after that wether it be an amp, powered speaker or DI into a pa. i just set the EQ flat and master volume to 12 o'clock of whatever it is i'm plugged into. sure it affects the sound to a certain degree but if you're plugged into a crap PA then it's always going to sound crap even if your onstage sound is brilliant. this brings me to my point- i have my l3t pulled straight out of the box set to Pa mode, feedback suppression on green mode, master volume at 12 o'clock indent, all eq set flat, reverb on 9 o'clock for vocals and-- abra cadabra , sounds absolutely brilliant . set up and rung-out almost as quick as i can turn the power on. this thing is pretty much idiot proof ( i say pretty much only because it never ceases to amaze me how idiotic some people can be and no matter how they design the stagesource speakers i'm sure they will never be completely idiot proof. ) so if you can't pull a great sound out of these speakers then i suggest you look further back into the sound chain because i'm pretty confident the problem isn't with the stagesource speakers.  

PPS some people have also commented that they believe the stagesource speakers to be over-priced. what is the price of the perfect sound we're all trying to achieve? if you spread the price over the number of gigs you play over the speakers life-span you'll probably find that you will have spent far more moolah on guitar strings over the same time frame and i don't hear any-one complaining about the price of guitar strings. also add up the cost of a small mixer , reverb unit,feedback destroyer,compressor/limiter,eq unit , a powered speaker to go with it and what ever other processing is tucked under there - along with cabling ,a longer set-up/pull-down time and then have to tune the whole system which not many people (including myself) can truly do properly. by any reckoning at it's current price i think the stagesource is cheap cheap cheap!! you only get what you pay for except in this case i feel like i've got more than what i paid for.

PPPS any-one want to buy a second-hand fishman solo-amp and pair of yamaha msr 400??????