Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Error! Helix control update failed!

Soultrainer

I just bought Helix and I got this message when trying to update Helix Control:

Error! Helix control update failed! Reconnect to try again. 

I have reconnected and shut down equipment maybe 20 times and always the same error message. All I can see in helix Control are lights in F1-F12, no text, in the upper screen there is no even light on it.

I already send a ticket to Line 6 but does anyone have any ideas what I could do. it might take 3 days before they answer.

You did have Helix control OFF (step #4) when you updated Helix, correct?

Helix Firmware 2.12 Release Notes (Released Jan 9, 2017)

Helix v2.12.0 is a firmware update that includes fixes, stability improvements, and optimizations. It is highly recommended that all Helix users perform this update!

IMPORTANT! YOU *MUST* FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS TO INSTALL 2.12!

1. Shut down all Line 6 software as well as any software that streams audio, including, but not limited to: iTunes, Spotify, DAWs, browsers, etc.

2. Use your CURRENT EXISTING Helix application to back up all of your presets and IRs (if you want to keep them). For example, if you’re running Helix FW 2.01, your current Helix application version should be 2.01.

NOTE: You may want to back up individual Setlists so you can restore them to empty setlists without affecting the 2.12 factory presets.

3. Quit the CURRENT EXISTING Helix editor application and download and install the latest Helix editor application (2.11), available here: http://line6.com/software/ This also installs the newest version of Line 6 Updater (1.10).

4. If you’re using Helix Rack with Helix Control, turn off Helix Control.

5. Using the latest Line 6 Updater (1.10), update Helix/Helix Rack to the newest firmware (2.12). At the end of the update process, Helix/Helix Rack will reboot automatically and begin rebuilding presets. Wait for this process to complete.

6. If you’re using Helix Control with Helix Rack, connect and power on Helix Control. The inspector will ask if you want to update its firmware. Press Knob 6 (OK). Wait for the update to finish.

YOU MUST RESET GLOBALS AND RESTORE PRESETS, OTHERWISE HELIX 2.12 WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY. DO IT. DO IT NOW:

7. To reset globals and restore presets, turn off Helix/Helix Rack.

HELIX FLOOR ONLY: While holding footswitches 9 and 10 (middle two switches on the bottom row), turn on Helix. Wait for the message “Will reset Globals and restore stock Presets, Setlists and IRs…†to appear and let go.

HELIX RACK ONLY: While holding knobs 5 and 6 below the screen, turn on Helix Rack. Wait for the message “Will reset Globals and restore stock Presets, Setlists and IRs…†to appear and let go.

8. Using the latest Helix editor application (2.11), restore the user presets you backed up in step 2.

You did have Helix control OFF (step #4) when you updated Helix, correct?

Helix Firmware 2.12 Release Notes (Released Jan 9, 2017)

Helix v2.12.0 is a firmware update that includes fixes, stability improvements, and optimizations. It is highly recommended that all Helix users perform this update!

IMPORTANT! YOU *MUST* FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS TO INSTALL 2.12!

1. Shut down all Line 6 software as well as any software that streams audio, including, but not limited to: iTunes, Spotify, DAWs, browsers, etc.

2. Use your CURRENT EXISTING Helix application to back up all of your presets and IRs (if you want to keep them). For example, if you’re running Helix FW 2.01, your current Helix application version should be 2.01.

NOTE: You may want to back up individual Setlists so you can restore them to empty setlists without affecting the 2.12 factory presets.

3. Quit the CURRENT EXISTING Helix editor application and download and install the latest Helix editor application (2.11), available here: http://line6.com/software/ This also installs the newest version of Line 6 Updater (1.10).

4. If you’re using Helix Rack with Helix Control, turn off Helix Control.

5. Using the latest Line 6 Updater (1.10), update Helix/Helix Rack to the newest firmware (2.12). At the end of the update process, Helix/Helix Rack will reboot automatically and begin rebuilding presets. Wait for this process to complete.

6. If you’re using Helix Control with Helix Rack, connect and power on Helix Control. The inspector will ask if you want to update its firmware. Press Knob 6 (OK). Wait for the update to finish.

YOU MUST RESET GLOBALS AND RESTORE PRESETS, OTHERWISE HELIX 2.12 WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY. DO IT. DO IT NOW:

7. To reset globals and restore presets, turn off Helix/Helix Rack.

HELIX FLOOR ONLY: While holding footswitches 9 and 10 (middle two switches on the bottom row), turn on Helix. Wait for the message “Will reset Globals and restore stock Presets, Setlists and IRs…†to appear and let go.

HELIX RACK ONLY: While holding knobs 5 and 6 below the screen, turn on Helix Rack. Wait for the message “Will reset Globals and restore stock Presets, Setlists and IRs…†to appear and let go.

8. Using the latest Helix editor application (2.11), restore the user presets you backed up in step 2.

Yes, I tried to follows those steps one by one. When I reset the global setting the update is still there, so it doesnt go back to firmware 1.xxx but stays 2.xxx. I can try it tomorrow again but how can I reset the factory settings so that the update will be reseted too? And yes I havent read too much manual yet.

Ok, check the port on the back of Helix. The controller port is the SAME size as the Variax port (and right next to each other). Make sure you are not connected into the Variax port with the controller cable.

Ok, check the port on the back of Helix. The controller port is the SAME size as the Variax port (and right next to each other). Make sure you are not connected into the Variax port with the controller cable.

The port is correct. Should there be any text in those windows when you get the Controller from stock? As I said I have only lights no text and the upper windows is blank and dark.

HI,

Had the same issue, was running me crazy for half a day. Was like runnung in a loop every retry for FW 2.12. caused this error.

At the end the solution was to reinstall a very early firmware version ( I think it was verion 1.04 or 1.10) and after that update to FW 2.12.

Everthing was fine after not having any error messages any more.

Don't forget to reset globals an presets after the update !

Hopefully solves your problem.

HI,

Had the same issue, was running me crazy for half a day. Was like runnung in a loop every retry for FW 2.12. caused this error.

At the end the solution was to reinstall a very early firmware version ( I think it was verion 1.04 or 1.10) and after that update to FW 2.12.

Everthing was fine after not having any error messages any more.

Don't forget to reset globals an presets after the update !

Hopefully solves your problem.

I took the Controller back to music shop and propably get a new one. Line 6 told me to do so and they thought it is a hardware failure.

Why do you need reset the globals and presets after update. I would think that you need to do that before installing update. Well, maybe I should read a manual =)

• 1 year later...
On 3/18/2017 at 4:49 PM, Soultrainer said:

I just bought Helix and I got this message when trying to update Helix Control:

Error! Helix control update failed! Reconnect to try again. 

I have reconnected and shut down equipment maybe 20 times and always the same error message. All I can see in helix Control are lights in F1-F12, no text, in the upper screen there is no even light on it.

I already send a ticket to Line 6 but does anyone have any ideas what I could do. it might take 3 days before they answer.

Did you ever get this fixed? if so how? i seem to have the same problem.... :(