Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Controlling patch/snapshops through Logic

samclarke666

Hi all.

So i'm having a bit of trouble with this.

To start with i have a midi region in logic set to "PROG CHANGE" with the value of 69. On my Helix patch i have the CC value as 69, then 0 1 2 3 etc for my snapshots.

Bur it doesn't seem to change.

Am i missing something really obvious here? I think I'm on the right lines but falling at a hurdle.

thanks in advance

Sam

Hi Sam,

The only thing that you still have to do is draw in the corresponding velocity into the program change. The snapshots works from Value 0 - 7 ( Snapshot 1-8 on Helix Hardware).

You will see once you created a midi clip in logic & changed it to Program change, a extra window pops up under the piano roll.

It will have numbers on the side ranging from 20, 40, 60, 80, 100, 120. You just take the pencil tool & click anywhere & you will see a pink line appear with a number.

From there you just draw on the timeline where you want the snapshots too change. (0 - 7 as mentioned above).

Feel free to message me if you have any further problems.

Hope this helps!!!

Hi all.

So i'm having a bit of trouble with this.

To start with i have a midi region in logic set to "PROG CHANGE" with the value of 69. On my Helix patch i have the CC value as 69, then 0 1 2 3 etc for my snapshots.

Bur it doesn't seem to change.

Am i missing something really obvious here? I think I'm on the right lines but falling at a hurdle.

thanks in advance

Sam

If this isn't a typo, there's your problem.  There are two basic types of MIDI commands- Program Changes (PC) and Continuous Controllers (CC).  To change presets on the Helix you want to assign a PC number, not a CC.  CCs are used for controlling parameters within a preset.

• 10 months later...

Hi Guys,

Hope I can help.

My band is using Logic Studio for live backing tracks and I am sending Helix LT a variety of Setlist, Preset and Snapshot changes during the performance.  (It works great....remember to turn "Trails" ON when using Delay as the repeats crossover nicely when jumping between snapshot changes!)

In the HELIX LT manual on page 59 there are clear instructions how to maneuver a Setlist.   However, the manual doesn't describe all the CC information Logic studio needs to send to HELIX. 

After hours of typing in program changes into the Logic event window, I gave up and simply took the MIDI out of HELIX and recorded the info it generated from a Preset Change.  Here’s what the Manual indicates, vs. recording the MIDI data generated by a perset change from HELIX into Logic: 

IN THE MANUAL

CC32: 000                             Control change for the Factory 1 set list

PC:005                                  Program Change for ‘16B Bottle Message’

CC69: 000                             Control change for Snapshot 1

WHAT IS NEEDED

CC61: 0                                 (#29 LSB)…this control change needs to precede the next three events.

CC0: 0                                   Bank MSB

CC32: 000                             Control change for the Factory 1 set list

PC:005                                  Program Change for ‘16B Bottle Message’

CC69: 000                             Control change for Snapshot 1 ….once Logic sees the initial CC and PC info, you only need to send CC69 #Value to send Snapshot changes.

I hope this helps you fellow Logic + Helix users.

Bob V in Melbourne FL.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1