Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Switching between paths in Helix

rchibnik

I want to use Helix to support playing solo with an external looper

I’d like to have  a patch with two paths,

- one for guitar with Eq, FX and amp

- another for Bass with pitch shift, bass amp and FXs.

I’d like to use a bypass switch to toggle between the paths but can’t figure out how to assign bypass to the Y-Paths.

Is this possible? Anyone built a patch like this that I can use as an example?

Unfortunately, you have to use Volume blocks at the start of each path. Turn the level of both volume blocks to zero or whatever negative number it gives you so that no signal go through. Then you can assign those volume blocks to a footswitch so that they alternate being on or off. It's a really ridiculously stupid and wasteful use of an effect block that ticks me off when I think too much about it but hey, that's what Line6 thinks is best. Humbug, I say!!

Unfortunately, you have to use Volume blocks at the start of each path. Turn the level of both volume blocks to zero or whatever negative number it gives you so that no signal go through. Then you can assign those volume blocks to a footswitch so that they alternate being on or off. It's a really ridiculously stupid and wasteful use of an effect block that ticks me off when I think too much about it but hey, that's what Line6 thinks is best. Humbug, I say!!

You could also simply assign a switch to alternate bypassing every block in each path, which would do the same thing without "wasting" an effects block. 

You could also simply assign a switch to alternate bypassing every block in each path, which would do the same thing without "wasting" an effects block. 

Unless I'm missing something, wouldn't this just result in sending raw signal to the output?

Another option that won't use up DSP is to utilize the level parameter in the output block of each path. Or, if you are using a "Y" split and merging to the same output block, you could change the split to an A/B and switch between 100%A and 100%B.

• Upvote 2

Unless I'm missing something, wouldn't this just result in sending raw signal to the output?

Another option that won't use up DSP is to utilize the level parameter in the output block of each path. Or, if you are using a "Y" split and merging to the same output block, you could change the split to an A/B and switch between 100%A and 100%B.

+1  I've been doing this for so long I forget what you actually call it without my Helix in front of me but Y split seems right.  It works flawlessly for me.  It give me much more versatility on one preset which I can use for many songs with snapshots or without snapshots if I want to use the FS switches.

YMMV

Dennis

Well, my question is, why give us two discreet audio paths designed to receive audio from basically one input (most will only use one instrument at a time), without giving us an efficient and elegant way of switching between those two paths?

You can control the "A/B split" block with a foot switch. You do have to assign the foot switch though.

This only works if you've split a path. If each path is complex enough that you can't use a split and need to use two full paths, the only option is to waste a gain block at the start of each path acting as a mute switch to A/B between each path. BAH!

It works, but to me it's akin to a "duct tape solution". Far beneath the status of the Helix.

If you're using the top path (1A&B ) for one signal chain and the bottom path (2A&B ) for another, then assigning the level parameter in the output block of the individual chains to a controller or to snapshots will allow you to alternate muting without using DSP or an effect slot.

As the first post mentions, there are two different instruments, so you could have guitar stuff on path 1 and bass stuff on path 2. When you are done playing guitar, turn the volume pot on the guitar down to zero, then play your bass. It  would be the same as if you playing separate "real" rigs. 

It works, but to me it's akin to a "duct tape solution". Far beneath the status of the Helix.

The A/B split was engineered to be assigned to a foot switch, which is not beneath the Helix. Just throwing out a simple suggestion of doing exactly what the original post was looking for. If you have duct tape in your tool box, then use it when appropriate. 

On each path's output block's volume, toggle between 0-100 on path A, and 100-0 on path B.

This is the correct way to do this.... I have been using this for nearly a year now. (used to use 2 volume blocks and controlled them with the exp) some of my presets have 3 and 4 separate paths, though my current fav I started to experiment with using the master volume on each amp in each path and changing the volume from 0 - whatever I need for that amp wile the other 2 amps in the preset go to 0.... you need to think outside the box (not in the real world way you did with real amps and FX) and you will be surprised what the Helix can actually do. One thing I started to do a wile back was use a volume block at the end of my path with the EXP instead of at the beginning so I could have distorted over driven goodness at very low volumes when the rest of the band was playing softly. I learned allot from looking at what others had done on there presets like Glen D. he opened up a few ideas for me last year.

When I say separate paths I mean SEPARATE from beginning to end no A/B splits at all, some inputs of paths use variax mag some use multi some use just variax and all the outputs got to multi or all. Example of three separate paths: path input 1A to output, path input 1B to output, path input 2A to input 2B to output.

If the bass has active pickups, the solution is even simpler. Simply have the bass go in the Aux input, and the guitar go in the other. Simple.

However, if you are not playing the bass and guitar at the same time, the far more elegant solution is separate patches imho.

Thanks for everyones suggestions - I haven't had a chance to implement them all, but the solution that seems to work is the A/B split path. 

Just to be clear - there's only one instrument - a Guitar - and I want to set up a rhythm layer (scratching/tapping the neck) and a bass line using a pitch shift, then a rhythm guitar accompaniment using a clean tone, then solo using an overdrive.

The bass / rhythm will be on the B path, which I'll start with, then switch to the A path for standard guitar.

Another possibility that I didnt consider at first was using the Variax pitch shift to create a bass model on the Variax - I havent been keeping up with JTV Variax firmware - is there a bass model available?

When I say separate paths I mean SEPARATE from beginning to end no A/B splits at all, some inputs of paths use variax mag some use multi some use just variax and all the outputs got to multi or all. Example of three separate paths: path input 1A to output, path input 1B to output, path input 2A to input 2B to output.

Do you have any sample patches posted that I could look at - this sounds like a good approach. I agree that there are some remarkable things you can do with this unit - SOOO much easier than the HD500 (about 3x easier, by my estimate - maybe more, which makes it a bargain.)

I want to set up a rhythm layer (scratching/tapping the neck) and a bass line using a pitch shift, then a rhythm guitar accompaniment using a clean tone, then solo using an overdrive.

Sounds quite interesting, I'd love to hear some of what you do when you get it all sorted out!

Thanks for everyones suggestions - I haven't had a chance to implement them all, but the solution that seems to work is the A/B split path. 

Just to be clear - there's only one instrument - a Guitar - and I want to set up a rhythm layer (scratching/tapping the neck) and a bass line using a pitch shift, then a rhythm guitar accompaniment using a clean tone, then solo using an overdrive.

The bass / rhythm will be on the B path, which I'll start with, then switch to the A path for standard guitar.

Another possibility that I didnt consider at first was using the Variax pitch shift to create a bass model on the Variax - I havent been keeping up with JTV Variax firmware - is there a bass model available?

One thing I have done for bass, but it is not perfect, is to pitch shift a regular guitar down an octave. I did that on my strat neck pickup through one of the bass amp/cab models with just a little reverb and it sounded kind of Fender Jazz Bass-like. Then you only have one instrument to deal with. 

This is a better solution than using the Helix pitch shift FX. While there is no built in bass model in the Variax it is very easy to create one in Workbench. This provides a more stable and polyphonic octave down tuning than the pitch shift FX which is designed as a monophonic shifter and can suffer from warbling.

This is a better solution than using the Helix pitch shift FX. While there is no built in bass model in the Variax it is very easy to create one in Workbench. This provides a more stable and polyphonic octave down tuning than the pitch shift FX which is designed as a monophonic shifter and can suffer from warbling.

Very true. You have to play very well articulated single notes for the pitch shift to track well. 

This is a better solution than using the Helix pitch shift FX. While there is no built in bass model in the Variax it is very easy to create one in Workbench. 

Well, that's for sure. I created a patch with the JTV pitched down an octave, a compressor and a bass amp and it played MUCH better. Now I'm using two patches for my looper exercised (mostly I use this for practice, but sometimes for jams with other players.) So I guess I need two inputs, a Variax normal into a guitar amp and a variax down an octave into a bass amp and A/B those two.

Havent had too much time to futz with the routing because this thing is so addictive to play through. I thought I'd have some buyers remorse because of its cost and the fact that I dont really NEED it, but I'm just so happy with it. I'm making up for the guilt by selling off all those other multi-efffects pedals I've collected in the past.

Its really a sweet piece of kit.

• 2 months later...

Do you have any sample patches posted that I could look at - this sounds like a good approach. I agree that there are some remarkable things you can do with this unit - SOOO much easier than the HD500 (about 3x easier, by my estimate - maybe more, which makes it a bargain.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/noxtz195xzhi7vf/LoudnCleaner%20PRS.hlx?dl=0

try that one .... I will have to get you a more updated one soon ... haven't updated and saved my presets in a wile ....    I use the snapshots part not the individual fx part and i use 2 EXP's #3 being the volume peddle for all paths. I also use a JTV-89F so the guitar model changes with the snapshots as well... let me know what you think good and bad... sorry for making you wait so long I have had a lot going on.

Hi Guys, I have read this post, and I think is the best place to ask this:

I was trying to do a momentary A/B, also added both output level parameters frmo 100-0 and 0-100.

So it A/B well, but the problem: I am using for A a delay with one time  (100%feedback and 100%MIX)  and for B, the same delay with a different time  (100%feedback and 100%MIX).

And when switching A to B, the delay I played before does not reset to cero (because is playing the 100% feedback). It is continue playing from the past A/B pressed...keep repeating hidden)

I was trying to set effects like Bloc Party "Octopus", but something is missing... it adds all my pre-switched delays...they keep repeating after pressing the switch hidden...
Here is a link to a video which explains the effect with a Line switcher and 2 delay pedals.
Hope you can help mke figure this out...

HEre is the setup with different pedals:

https://youtu.be/JBKHzDEsChs?t=81

Never mind, I figure it out, by adding both delays to the momentary switch also.

Then:

Added a feedback parameter for each delay:

DLY 1 parameter of the momentary position 1 (feedback parameter 100-70), momentary position 2 (feedback parameter 70-100).

DLY 2 parameter of the momentary position 1 (feedback parameter 100-70), momentary position 2 (feedback parameter 70-100).