Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Routing for different instruments

MartinV100

Hi

I'm thinking of buying Helix but need to know one more thing before I do...

In one of the bands that I play in I use an acoustic guitar, electric bass and mandolin on different songs. I need to be able to route the bass guitar to a different XLR output (e.g. Left) than the guitar and mandolin (e.g. Right) so that they get processed by different PA channels.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance

Martin

Yes - that's no problem at all.

Simply pan one instrument to the left and set it's path output to XLR,

then pan the other to the right and also set it's path output to XLR

if you wanted you could send the mandolin separately to the guitar by setting one of the paths to 1/4 in jack output - (or any of the 4 send sockets) and then using a DI box to get the jack into the PA's XLR sockets.

Helix also has offers four independent signal paths you may use, and Helix provides Multiple Inputs.

You could bring the Acoustic, Bass, and Mandolin signals in to Helix through the Main Guitar In, AuxIn, Mic In, or any of the 4 FX Returns. Each may be assigned to it's dedicated independent Signal Processing path as you desire.

Helix's versatile signal routing and processing paths are very flexible!

Thanks. I use a Line 6 G55 wireless system for all instruments (electric guitar with passive pickups, acoustic guitar with active preamp pickup, mandola with passive pickup, bass with passive pickup). Will it be a problem using the main 1/4" guitar jack for all of them even with the mix of active and passive pickups? Thanks

As long as all your instruments currently work well enough with the G55 there should be no problems when you connect it to Helix.

Of course you'll be able to set up different presets for each instrument (or snapshots if you prefer) so that you can set up the EQ, compress, or add reverb and FX for each and switch between them easily. 

I use my Helix for double bass, acoustic guitar and mandolin sometimes in my folk band - works great :)

Martin, if the G55's XLR out is always active, it could also be of use should you wish to route your signal to Helix's Mic In, or via adapter to any of Helix's other 1/4" Ins. If using the Mic In you will likely need to boost the Input sensitivity of that Input Block by at least 60db or more. This is simply another way to route your signal should you wish to use a distinct Signal Path in the Helix.

• 1 year later...

Old thread I know, but really glad to see this as I am in a similar situation and play electric guitars, pedal steel, acoustic/electric guitar and mandolins live.  Have been using a Morley ABC switcher, but this will give me a lot more flexibility with setting up unique settings effects for all my instruments AND be able switch on the fly with the Helix.  I think I'm really going to love this bad boy!