Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

OD Pedal in the effects loop

Indianrock2020

This has probably been covered but I've been considering something like the Wampler Paisley pedal for the 500x's effects loop.  What have your experiences been trying something like that?

I can get overdrive/amp  mic/cab  combinations I'm quite happy with using built-in stuff, but it is a bit of work.   If I save a patch I like, then maybe switch guitars, it might take a fair amount of tweaking to get the earlier happy result.

Well, not necessarily a Wampler OD pedal, but I use sometimes an L6 M5 on the FX LOOP (sounds crazy but I pair it with my hd500x, mostly to save DSP). Sometimes I use overdrives (placing the FX LOOP Block before the AMP/MIXER) or Delays/Reverbs (moving the fx block after the Amp/Mixer).

I have a Strymon OB.1, BOSS DS-1 (modified TS), BOSS FZ-5 and BOSS LMB-3 (Limiter)...I have used them all with HD POD...Not in the loop, I just put them in line to the guitar input...leave the loop for post pedals like delays, etc....

I suppose partially sometimes I feel that way....To get just about everything the POD does, I have to add in my rack FX from my old ADA-MP1 rig....While those FX are true because they are the real deal...They always sound better...My SPX-990 has better reverbs, but it's harmonizer does not track as well...My Effection 1024s are fantastic delays...

I often rehearse with the POD alone as it's convenient and I can get it done. However, I have a BCB board full of old BOSS pedals. I sometimes run an amp or two with only that board and no POD at all...Sometimes I make the mega rig and have all of it going. Just depends...The Strymon OB.1 optical compressor is unlike any compressor in the POD....It have a voiced clean boost on this...My DS-1 is modified and is a better sounding Tube Screamer than the models in the POD IMO, but I can get by with them fine...The DSP savings is kinda nice for of the complex patches. But I don't really need that in my current situation and frame of mind... 

There's no absolution to this...I am just an old guitar player that has a bunch of gear...We all go through phases with our rigs...Use what you feel like works...However, remember the tone chase never ends... ;) It just stops for a break here and there.