Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Needing suggestions on setup for hd500x

ryanh92

Hi everyone! So I'm trying to figure out the best way to setup my HD500x. For live shows, I use an electric through a fender hot rod deville, an acoustic, and a mandolin. I'd like all of my effects to go through the HD500x for all instruments. But, obviously, I don't want the acoustic or mandolin running through my amp. Ideally, I'd like to set it up to where each instrument would be able to have a separate channel for mixing. But since this is impossible (to my knowledge at least), what is the best way to set this up? For only the electric to go through the amp and the mandolin and acoustic basically be run direct. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot! 

Or, if you don't want to use up an FX block for the loop, use the mixer to rout the electric signal path to Left and acoustic signal path to Right. Plug the amp into the Pod's left output and the mixing board into the Pod's Right output. I call up different patches for electric and acoustic instruments (to EQ the acoustic instruments to minimize feedback for example).

Given your current situation, the 500 is not the unit for you. You need more input/output/routing options.

HOWEVER...

You could skip the amp, and run your guitar direct to the PA (through the Pod). This would make the entire situation easier.

You'd would still need to use an A/B box to switch between the acoustic and mandolin, which then runs into the pod. But it becomes a much easier situation when you remove the amp.

The way the Pod handles output, you can run direct and still use the amp as a monitor. But by going direct, you don't need to worry about routing left/right into you patches.

I figured that since he can only play 1 instrument at a time he'd just unplug the cord from the instrument, swap instruments, plug the cord into the new instrument, then stomp on the new patch. Only 1 input is required. I do this all the time with 4 instruments (1 per ABCD patch). This new patch could then automatically mute Left and unmute Right. Amp/mixer cables don't need to change. I also assumed he doesn't use stereo since he only mentioned using 1 amp.

I never would have considered doing all of that plugging and unplugging. 

At least, not in a live situation.

Not only wasn't I thinking that way - in my head, I was taking it a step further and thinking that he may have needed to use them in the same song. 

I don't really do that too often anymore. But I used to do multiple instruments for years. 

But, you are correct. Depending on his actually usage, there are various options.