Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Some questions (upgrading from HD500x to Helix)

J_V_RO

Hi! 

I am planning to buy a Helix. I did some research about the following questions but I am not 100% clear, maybe someone can help?:

• Using the "stomp footswitch mode" how many switches can I control/assign? 8,12? Can I still use the BANK switch by pressing both at the same time in this mode?
  • For example, can I have patch 1A in "footswitch mode" and patch 1B in "Preset Mode"?
  • In Path 1A, if I select the output: Í¢   (to expand my chain) I will be able to add more blocks in Path 1B, this means that Path 2 dissapears? Also, how many effects can I assign on path 1A and 1B? (I know there is a DSP limitation, but in the best scenario, can I have 16 for example?)
  • I cannot find a "Mixer" block in the examples I've seen on youtube (this block existed on the HD series), it has finally dissapeared? (thank God)

Thanks! 

Stomps - 8 or 10, depending on which mode you decide upon using the Global settings menu.

Bank - ... sorry, I'm not completely familiar with how this aspect works to date, but there are mode shifts which happen when pressing both - plus there's a mode switch which jumps back and forth from stomp mode to the mode you've configured from the global settings.

Path 1A routed to 1B, path 2 will remain available - and that can be further split into 2A & 2B - you can run them all into one another (Super Serial - see factory presets) or other variations.

It's very flexible.

The number of block spaces available per path - 8 per 'line,' so 16 per path (incl. A&B) for a grand total of 32 blocks which can be populated (and of course, as you stated, this is dependent upon / affected by DSP usage).

Mixer - doesn't show as a 'block' as the processing blocks do, but they are there at the split/merge points of the paths to allow manipulation of mix levels and panning.

Hopefully this adds some clarity.

Feel free to ask any other questions you might have; many extremely knowledgeable members here, not to mention the Line 6 staff and their Expert Users here.

• Upvote 1

The Two DSP are dynamically allocated. One dedicated to Path's 1A and 1B. The other dedicated to Path's 2A and 2B.

Aside from the Mix Parameter of the Split > A/B feature that does not appear as a square block (nor does it count as one of the 8 per Path), the Mix Parameter is common to the FX Blocks, IR Blocks, and FX Return Blocks to adjust the blend of Dry vs. Wet, IR vs. Direct, and Return vs. Main signals.

Firmware 2.10 (November 22. 2016) also introduced a Pan Parameter to the Split > Y feature:

- Split > Y Balance parameters—The old Split > Y block sends both left and right signals to Paths A and B equally. 2.10 adds individual balance (pan) control of the signals sent to Path A and B. By default, they’re set to “Centerâ€, which behaves exactly like the old Split > Y block.

- Split > Y can now be bypassed; when bypassed, the block sends both left and right signals to both paths equally (like the old Split Y block)

• Upvote 1

Hi! 

I am planning to buy a Helix. I did some research about the following questions but I am not 100% clear, maybe someone can help?:

• Using the "stomp footswitch mode" how many switches can I control/assign? 8,12? Can I still use the BANK switch by pressing both at the same time in this mode?
  • For example, can I have patch 1A in "footswitch mode" and patch 1B in "Preset Mode"?
  • In Path 1A, if I select the output: Í¢   (to expand my chain) I will be able to add more blocks in Path 1B, this means that Path 2 dissapears? Also, how many effects can I assign on path 1A and 1B? (I know there is a DSP limitation, but in the best scenario, can I have 16 for example?)
  • I cannot find a "Mixer" block in the examples I've seen on youtube (this block existed on the HD series), it has finally dissapeared? (thank God)

Thanks! 

A few more notes: The mixer features are rolled into the places in the signal chain that they make sense. You do need that functionality. It's better here, but I never minded it in HD 500.

But in answer to your second query, you need to learn about snapshots. You don't want to switch presets during a song, because everything stops and starts again (delay and reverb trails most notably). But with snapshots, you can get a LOT of different sounds out of one patch.

The best time you'll spend is making patches with the quick reference card in your hand and the manual on standby. Within a couple days or so, you'll know as much about Helix as you did about HD 500 after a month. It's THAT much easier to use.

Stomps- 8 with bank/preset up/down, or 10 without bankpreset switches

Snapshots- 8 with bank/preset up/down (LOTS OF POWER AND FLEXIBILITY WITH SNAPS)

Paths- all 4 paths can be run serially if you want, or they can be re-routed. All 4 are available though. 

Thank you all for your responses!

I will definitely buy it! (Waiting for next payment day only...)

I guess snapshots is probably the most versatile option inside of the beast... I will do more research about it, 

thank you all

• Upvote 1