Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

When will Line Monkey windows 10 for Spider V be released

Doug_Gl_Phillips

When will a Windows 10 Line Monkey for Spider V be available?

I'd had various Spider  amps for years and the  Line 6 Monkey app on Windows is the only reasonable way to set them up for live performance.

I'd like to get a new Spider V 240 but I won't get one until the Line Monkey app is available.

Well, Line 6 Monkey was/is the original Line 6 app that handled firmware, driver, and other software updates for various Line 6 products. It has pretty much been replaced with the Line 6 Updater app now, at least for new products. It sounds like what you're asking for is an editor app that will work with the Spider V. Currently, the only editors are the tablet-based apps. Whether or not Line 6 creates Mac and PC editors for the Spider V remains to be seen.

They keep saying you have to vote at Ideascale. The Spider remote app is very much the same as AmpliFI and Firehawk. See other threads about that. Those users requested and voted over 1000x for Win & Mac editors for a year and counting. Nothing. Get used to what is provided regardless of the issues or use the front panel. That's our answer thus far.

It would also be nice if Line6 would release the API for the Spider V. I can understand, if for financial or logistical  reasons, they don't want to do a Windows or Mac version of the Spider Remote app, but I"m sure people here could build one very quickly if they had the proper tools.

Of course releasing the API is not without risk for Line6, if their code is not rock solide they might run into problems with people crashing or worst killing the amp, So this might be why they prefer to keep the amp in a closed ecosystem. Only Line6 knows for sure,,,

If you look at what happened with the  Firehawk and Amplifi], It's sure looks like Line6 will continue without a PC or Mac editor for the Spider. However I hope they continue to improve the Spider Remote app... It would be nice to have access to the drum loops, metronome settings, RIFFs and tuner from the remote app It would also be nice to be able to build setlists in the app and manage them there.

One thing that is funny, on the TGP forum  people on one of the many  Helix thread are requesting that Line6 adds support for tablets to the Helix...

• Upvote 2

It would also be nice if Line6 would release the API for the Spider V. I can understand, if for financial or logistical  reasons, they don't want to do a Windows or Mac version of the Spider Remote app, but I"m sure people here could build one very quickly if they had the proper tools.

Of course releasing the API is not without risk for Line6, if their code is not rock solide they might run into problems with people crashing or worst killing the amp, So this might be why they prefer to keep the amp in a closed ecosystem. Only Line6 knows for sure,,,

If you look at what happened with the  Firehawk and Amplifi], It's sure looks like Line6 will continue without a PC or Mac editor for the Spider. However I hope they continue to improve the Spider Remote app... It would be nice to have access to the drum loops, metronome settings, RIFFs and tuner from the remote app It would also be nice to be able to build setlists in the app and manage them there.

One thing that is funny, on the TGP forum  people on one of the many  Helix thread are requesting that Line6 adds support for tablets to the Helix...

But the other side is, if they make computer editors, they satisfy many customers of the Spider V, Amplifi products, and Firehawk. All of which have placed many requests for the computer editors.  I agree though, that that is not going to happen, nor will the API be released. These products will live or die based on what is provided.

Spider is being outsold in my neck of woods, and a bunch have came back because there were no computer editors and no plans to create one. Some of the replies on other guitar forums are previous Spider IV owners stunned they can't use the computer for editing. They returned the V, kept their IV, and bought competitor products that had computer editors available.

Helix support for tablets wouldn't be required. They can buy a wide assortment of Win tablets, Surface, and other devices that will blow away the majority of Android or iOS tablets. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 1 month later...
Guest Doug Phillips

If line 6 won't support professional users of the new products, then I'll have to go see what Fender and Marshall are up to.

• 3 weeks later...

LOL Fender and Marshall don't have computer based editors either... though I think someone created a 3rd party Code editor. With Line 6 I get Fender and Marshall tones plus a whole lot more. 

Mustang Series do have editors for computers. Newer GT Mustangs have mobile editors, but Fender said expect a PC editor soon. That made those new owners happy.

Vox's new unit has PC, Mac, Android and iOS. Blackstar has computer editors.

I read Marshall gave the API to users that created their own editor for Win and Mac. Might have been the guys at VG forum. I'm not sure. The same group VG forum are the ones just killing it recently with Katana amp and doing 10x for that group of users than Boss is. There was a thread here months ago where programmers offered to create a Win Mac editor for the Spider V lineup. Nothing came of it.

Developers for GSP1101 created mustbe beta unofficial firmware for that product and added new features and the biggest feature of IR loading options. That unit remained a huge seller many years past the expected shelf life. Unofficial firmware and editor support made that unit really great.

Previous Spider IV's had Pc and Mac editors. No mobile connection so no mobile app. Mobile apps started with Amplifi and Firehawk. Those are Bluetooth. 

Spider V Remote will be what it is. Over 1000 app downloads so far at Google Play. App given just over 3 rating. That's about the same sentiment. All it takes is reading those reviews, retail site reviews, and over 1/3 of them are not very glowing. 100's of votes at Ideascale for computer editors too. That's the actual users that like the product that are hoping for the computer edit option.

Here's the post from the guys that wanted to create an editor:

http://line6.com/support/topic/25526-source-code-or-interface-for-the-remote-app/

No official reply, and thread just kind of died. Not sure what transpired either way. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, I have been trying to find the Spider V editor for my Windows 10 computer but couldn't, now I know why, there is none.  Luckily, my Android tablet works with the app.  I also noticed that the firmware updates descriptions don't include how to check what version is on your amp.  Press and hold the home button and the firmware version will be at the top on the LCD screen.   Use the Line 6 updater on your computer to update it over USB.  My amp was purchased in May 2017 and the firmware was 1.02