Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sad day.... Helix in for repair!

kramer_nut

Had to take my Helix in for repair today.  I've got a three week layoff of gigs right now... Hope it's done in time!!     I had originally contacted them about the expression pedal rubbing on the side of the case but at the gig on Saturday I opened the case and the power switch rocker was laying in the case.   I was able to push it back in and turn it on but I don't trust it.  So of course I'm out of warranty so I'm sure it will be expensive to fix but I"ll be glad when it is done.  Here's to hoping it's done in time for my next gig!!!   Todd

Had to take my Helix in for repair today. I've got a three week layoff of gigs right now... Hope it's done in time!! I had originally contacted them about the expression pedal rubbing on the side of the case but at the gig on Saturday I opened the case and the power switch rocker was laying in the case. I was able to push it back in and turn it on but I don't trust it. So of course I'm out of warranty so I'm sure it will be expensive to fix but I"ll be glad when it is done. Here's to hoping it's done in time for my next gig!!! Todd

Mines is going in Saturday for a headphone output repair... so obviously I bought myself a TC SCF to make up for its absence

A few of gigs with an amp and a couple of pedals will be a little breath of fresh analog air

Looks like the bushings were worn badly causing the expression pedal to lean and rub.   The repair center at Line 6 wanted to take a look at it because of the unusual defect/damage as they put it.  I assure you there has been no tampering with the unit.  Here's hoping it gets repaired quickly!

kramer_nut, what case have you been using to store or transport your Helix?

MusicLaw,  I use this case...

http://www.rondomusic.com/product7517.html

It's a nice built case, it's the same one that Glenn DeLaune uses.    For $100.00 you be hard pressed to find a nicer case.  

Here is a picture of it.  

post-792289-0-76970600-1459786866_thumb.jpg

Good news!!!  I would like to thank the good folks at Line 6 for the quick turn around time on my Helix.  I dropped it off at the Authorized repair facility Wednesday March 22nd.  Got an email from them telling me that Line 6 didn't have the parts to send them but they wanted it sent to them to them for review since it was an unusual repair.   They graciously offered a loaner but I declined and said as long as I have it back by my next gig in two weeks I'd be fine.   Got a call this Wednesday saying my Helix was back, they replaced the entire expression pedal with a new one and replaced a faulty power switch.  Even better news was they covered it under warranty.  I was pretty sure I was out of warranty since I've had it over a year, but they covered it anyway.   So it's back, I've upgraded to 2.20 and it's working great!!  

Thanks again Line 6!!!

Todd Larick

Hi Todd,

I am very very happy for you that Line6 seems to be a stand up company and made you whole

even though your product was outside warranty period.

I purchased 2 Relay G10's and then HELIX.

The G10's were my first Line6 purchases. I did like the G10's very much.

A very close friend on mine also purchased a Relay G10(I purchased 2, soon to purchase 2 more to use with my HELIX).

He is also on this thread. We both liked them very much on many levels.

My friend found a microcode defect. Line6 was aware and made aware by my friend of the defect. It was corrected it

the next release of the microcode.

My friend was first to purchase the HELIX product. He was so enamored with it and made a case about why the HELIX product was

superior to a competitive lower end product that I own and was using, that I made the decision to investment and purchased a HELIX.

The HELIX is for my own enjoyment. One thing troubled me about the Line6 products in general.

I read about the development cycle and howit was in development for 6 years, uses state of the art electronics, programming and languages, how it's tour grade, but and here is the big but, Line6 touts how rugged and state of the art the HELIX is, yet it has a miniscule warranty. You would think that if Line6 is extolling all these virtues of HELIX product(six years of development, state of the art electronics, and tour grade) and with a price tag consummate to the advertise capabilities and durability, you expect to have a warranty to back up the claims made by Line6. Since the HELIX product was so researched and rugged Line6 should be receiving little claims for warranty service.

Even when you purchase a low end Fender Amplifier like Frontman 25R(as I did, I purchased 2), Fender backs up their claim of reliability with a 5 year warranty. The same is true when you purchase a high end amplifier like a Mustang IV V2 Modeling Amplifier(I did not purchase one of these products, I purchased 2 of them) it came with the same 5 year warranty. The morale of the story is Fender really stands behind all of their products, period, regardless of weither it's a low end or high end product. IBM(where I live) has a very similar business model.

I like Line6 products very much. But if you think $1400.00 give or take a few bucks is a not lot of money (it is for me) I do accept donations. So the HELIX product enhance my enjoyment of music, so to me the money was worth it. Again any who thinks $1400.00 is not a lot of money, I accept donations.

All I'm saying is if the product is tour grade, industrial strength, and bullet proof, if we the customers are willing to invest in purchasing Line6 products, Line6 should see what the rest of the music manufacturing industry is doing and update its' business model and just for the HELIX product, but for their entire product line.

Hey Todd, I'm glad Line6 made you whole again in a very timely fashion, especially when your HELIX was outside the warranty period.

Even though they have a legacy business model, someone's heart was in the right place.

Earth to Line6, Earth to Line6. Hello Line6.

Ricky from IBM

IT Architecture / Systems Engineer / Programmer

RIcky,

I agree with some of your post, I have been a lifelong Roland/Boss user,  I have uses the GT series for many years.  I've had the GT-3. GT-8, GT-10 and most recently the GT-100, all with Zero issues.  I kept each one for a minimum of 5 years or longer and yes no issues.   I've had the Helix for just about a year with one issue, I don't think this is going to be a long term issue, but only time will tell. Yes I would like the Helix to have a better warranty, but I understand why they don't.  I appreciate the generosity that Line 6 has extended to me by repairing the unit.  It seems to be a common occurrence lately with anyone who has had a legitimate issue and I thank them for it.    

Hi Todd,

IBM has a similar business model, if the products are as advertised it will save Line6 money and bring in additional revenue.

Fender seems to be doing OK with their business model.

I have not had a Fender model fail yet. I have several Strats and Telecasters besides the products I mentioned above.

I too came from the Boss world. Started with the ME-25. Still have one.

What happened to your HELIX ?

Ricky From IBM

IT Architect / Systems Engineer / Programmer