Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

External wah-pedal for helix

Soultrainer

Hey, just replied to you in the other thread, basically saying that yes you can do this.  Its actually my exact plan and the same auto engage wah pedal I ordered myself.  The Dunlop 95q is a good sounding pedal and will work with other rigs, if you happen to use them.  It also will fill FREE up an expression pedal on Helix to control other parameters, instead of being strictly dedicated to a wah block.

Edited by vmoncebaiz

Hey, just replied to you in the other thread, basically saying that yes you can do this.  Its actually my exact plan and the same auto engage wah pedal I ordered myself.  The Dunlop 95q is a good sounding pedal and will work with other rigs, if you happen to use them.  It also will fill up an expression pedal on Helix to control other parameters, instead of being strictly dedicated to a wah block.

Ok sounds good. Shall they be connected like this:

Exp toe switch -> expression pedal

Exp 1               -> Cry Baby 95Q

If you connect them in this way does it mean that you can always use Cry Baby when you press the pedal and you can use expression pedal for whatever effect you like by clicking toe switch on/off? Or do you perhaps have to add another block to Cry Baby?

I also like the auto engage wah even if I have never owned one, haha. I just dislike those toe switches when you can never be sure if you got it on or not and then you get messed up pressing it all over again.  

OH.  I don't think you're looking at the the same way I am.  You can't use a wah pedal to control expression values (at least not without a mod of some sort).  I also had a typo in my response that might have been misleading. Sorry for the confusion.

I would use the Crybaby just as a wah pedal effect of its own, set in front of Helix (guitar -> 95Q -> Helix guitar input).  That way you have more blocks available in Helix and you can use other expression pedals to control whatever you want.

If thats not the way you wanted to use the Dunlop 95q, and you are strictly looking for an expression pedal, I'd recommend the Mission SP1-L6h pedal (if you want a toe switch).  Or simply look into using Helix's auto engage feature to use expression pedals without the need for toe switches.

OH.  I don't think you're looking at the the same way I am.  You can't use a wah pedal to control expression values (at least not without a mod of some sort).  I also had a typo in my response that might have been misleading. Sorry for the confusion.

I would use the Crybaby just as a wah pedal effect of its own, set in front of Helix (guitar -> 95Q -> Helix guitar input).  That way you have more blocks available in Helix and you can use other expression pedals to control whatever you want.

If thats not the way you wanted to use the Dunlop 95q, and you are strictly looking for an expression pedal, I'd recommend the Mission SP1-L6h pedal (if you want a toe switch).  Or simply look into using Helix's auto engage feature to use expression pedals without the need for toe switches.

In front of Helix is just fine with me. I was just afraid that you cant use 95Q with the Helix. Yes, I wondered what you meant by that fill word =) 

Do you think that 95Q sounds better than Helix´s wah systems?

I was so attracted to this expression pedal:

https://www.thomann.de/fi/mission_engineering_sp25l_pro_aero_gc.htm

but I dont think it works with Helix. I sent mail to them where I asked if they are going to make an aero model that works with Helix.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 2/17/2018 at 9:09 PM, twohandband said:

My question is what are you hoping to gain? Are you unhappy with the wahs models in the Helix?

Yes very no matter how I set them they under preform almost like the efeect is lacking like it's there but might as well not be more like a volume pedal not really but it's like quiet and loud with no swoosh in-between 

3 hours ago, bobofzimbabwe said:

Yes very no matter how I set them they under preform almost like the efeect is lacking like it's there but might as well not be more like a volume pedal not really but it's like quiet and loud with no swoosh in-between 

That's odd.  I'm happy you like your pedal now, but I get AMAZING tone from the built in wahs.  Silly question, but you're using the built in ones properly, right?/  Like you have to press hard on toe switch to make the light turn red, and have to configure the wah in a block and then configure that block to work with the built in expression pedal... or something like that.

23 hours ago, bobofzimbabwe said:

Something's wrong then... if anything, some of the models (especially the "Throaty") can be a bit overpowering, and you have to dial back the mix parameter a bit, and let some of the dry signal through so you're not completely drowning in "wah-ness". Where are you putting the wah block in the signal chain, and where do you have the mix set? It should be early in the chain (if not the first thing), or at least before any distortion FX.