Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FRFR fail!!! read before you buy one!

boynigel

As I said earlier...my worry is that I'm losing harmonics and frequencies that add to the sustain of the instrument when I am forced to artificially EQ my signal. 

It's VERY obvious when you use a clean sound. You put that high cut on it and it just takes away all the sparkle and liveliness of the sound. 

I can only assume that it's taking away from the high gain sound too.

I'm getting a great sound...don't get me wrong. Very happy. 

Just questioning WHY we have to apply a high cut to a model of a very nice tube amp. Just seems like something isn't right in the first place if you have to put a high cut on it to get it to sound good.   :)

Honestly has nobody else noticed this?

If you dial in the cab or IR to sufficiently remove the nasty fizz from the high gain amp model, when you switch to a clean it sounds really dull and lacking in sparkle?

Really? no one has noticed?

It's easy to deal with by saving different cab settings for the clean amp snapshot - but why do we need to?  it's not like you need to swap to a different speaker cab when you swap from clean to gain channel on a regular amp.

It is great when people find their sound.  As so many other have said FRFR allows you to get that mike up studio sound. Adin a mix live they still sound amazing and allow multiple flavors.   I don't think the real tube amp market will dwindle any time soon.. Thee is still a great market for modeling and amps. I do think over the next  20 years or so tube amp use will gradually lesson as more artists go to lighter rigs with more flexibility. As major artists continue to embrace Helix, Fractal etc. so will the public.

One thing have always wondered about is why are actual tubes used in modelers. I remember tube overdrive and tube compressor pedals had a brief run of popularity but never caught on big (I know there are still some out there).  Put  something like an  old stereo tube circuit in  one. I am sure it has been tried and didn't work for one reason or the other.  I know with the old Vetta's the secret recording sauce was to run it through a tube preamp. It really made iii record well. Sorry if I hijacked things..

I'm still pretty new to Helix. When I first got it, I went 4CM into the FX loop of my Bogner Atma. Sounded fantastic on stage, but I was never really happy with the FOH tone. So I bit the FRFR bullet and now go XLR out into the PA, and digital out to a Line 6 L2m as floor monitor.  I now hear exactly what the audience is hearing. The L2m is beefy enough that I don't really miss the 'real' amp.

One thing have always wondered about is why are actual tubes used in modelers.

More often than not, I think it was an illusion to give a sense of security to those who believed you couldn't get a good sound without at least one tube. About 12 years or so ago, a buddy of mine bought a Rocktron 2x12 combo amp called the "Taboo Twin." It didn't model specific amps, but it was basically a digital modeling amp. Sounded pretty good too, at least for the time. And it had a glowing preamp tube in it. So...

A bit later, they came out with a stomp/preamp version of it. It did not have a tube. I bought it and copied every parameter of a few of the Taboo amplifier's presets. Armed with a Rocktron Velocity (solid state power amp, probably the same as what was in the amp) and two closed back 1x12 cabs with simliar speakers to what was in the Taboo Twin, I did an A/B test between my rig and that amplifier... and they sounded virtually identical! That experience made me believe that the tube in that amplifier was placebo. I think a preamp tube can make a difference in some distortion/overdrive stomp boxes that use them, but in a digital modeling amp? I doubt it.

In fact, it's pretty simple: Who wants to use speakers only for electric guitar and wishes a certain speaker sound will be happy with a guitar amp or guitar cabinet.

Who wants to use the Helix 's flexibilty to play electric guitar, bass, acoustic guitar... will use a (so called) FRFR amp or speaker with - if needed - speaker/mic simulation.

The second way is certainly more flexible and the resulting sound probably will match better the sound from a PA but at the end of the day, it's a matter of taste.

Of course there are differences in FRFR (and PA), as there are differences even between premium class speakers for home hifi, wich all should be FRFR. It's not only linearity that counts, but also distortion, resonances, dissipation...

Some are more linear than others and i did even see 12" speakers without tweeter labeled as FRFR :rolleyes: . They are certainly not what i mean with FRFR and still get worse if measured/listened off axis.

There could be another advantage for FRFR speakers: I allways was a bit pissed on that my amps/combos had a completly different sound on and off axis, wich is the nature of a bigger speaker driver.

With a 2- or 3way speaker, the range/angle of higher frequencies can be much wider due to the smaller drivers (midrange/tweeter), so the sound can be more even over different angles. With the right cab sim, this would be my way.

As there are a lot of so called FRFR speakers on the marked wich aren't really FRFR for my definition, with their weight and their form factor, i decided to build my amp/cab by myself: 12" coaxial (useful for nearfield use), 2way poweramp, fully configurable dsp in a classic combo form factor and a XPS/Carbon sandwich baffle should mach my needs.

All this with less than 10 kg/22 pund and i will be happy. The linearity is'nt a problem with good drivers and a powerfull dsp.

As a gimmick, one could rebuild the frequency response of a guitar cabinet as a preset in the dsp (tweeter off, "big mountain" around 2-3 KHz, highpass at 100 Hz) to have the same angle dependent dissipation as a normal 12" speaker. But who should want this?

To do the inverse (even dissipation and a wide frequency response) with a 12" or 10" guitar speaker is out of reach ;)

I've used Helix FRFR for years with outstanding results.

I think you mean: "For less than 2 years"

I got my Helix in the first shipments from Sweetwater in Oct. 2015...today is August 19 2017

Not even 2 years since the Helix hit the street. 😊

• 3 months later...

It is great when people find their sound.  As so many other have said FRFR allows you to get that mike up studio sound. Adin a mix live they still sound amazing and allow multiple flavors.   I don't think the real tube amp market will dwindle any time soon.. Thee is still a great market for modeling and amps. I do think over the next  20 years or so tube amp use will gradually lesson as more artists go to lighter rigs with more flexibility. As major artists continue to embrace Helix, Fractal etc. so will the public.

One thing have always wondered about is why are actual tubes used in modelers. I remember tube overdrive and tube compressor pedals had a brief run of popularity but never caught on big (I know there are still some out there).  Put  something like an  old stereo tube circuit in  one. I am sure it has been tried and didn't work for one reason or the other.  I know with the old Vetta's the secret recording sauce was to run it through a tube preamp. It really made iii record well. Sorry if I hijacked things..

Vox used the preamp tubes in the early Tonelab series well (SE and LE).  The preamp tube did actually warm it up.  You could even hit the secret buttons and

eventually get to a "bias" setting for the preamp tube that was used in a little mini "power amp" circuit.  I still have a Tonelab SE and an LE.  Had they done what

Line 6 has done with Helix with the Tonelab concept (they went cheaper with the Tonelab series and have practically killed it), who knows what might have been.

Even though Tonelab made it more of a simulated power amp tube section with the tube preamp, you could probably get the same effect with Helix running

it through a really nice studio tube preamp... but it would probably be overkill at this point with Helix.

Whew!!   I'm just glad that the thread did NOT turn out to be what I thought when I read the title!  I love the sound I'm getting through my K-Series monitor.  I bought Helix to AVOID carrying an amp to gigs.... so when I read the title, I though there would some catastrophic reason I needed to stop what I'm doing and start lugging a heavy amp around again.  Okay.. .back to building presets with cab models.

I though there would some catastrophic reason I needed to stop what I'm doing and start lugging a heavy amp around again. Okay...

What could possibly have been in this thread that would have dictated that you give up a rig that suits your needs? Not for nothing, but 98% of internet content is some blithering idiot's tale of woe. Making decisions based on forum ramblings is guaranteed to leave you disappointed eventually. If something is working for you, run with it. Just because Bob from French Lick, Indiana decided he didn't like it, doesn't mean you have to give it up too...

More often than not, I think it was an illusion to give a sense of security to those who believed you couldn't get a good sound without at least one tube. About 12 years or so ago, a buddy of mine bought a Rocktron 2x12 combo amp called the "Taboo Twin." It didn't model specific amps, but it was basically a digital modeling amp. Sounded pretty good too, at least for the time. And it had a glowing preamp tube in it. So...

A bit later, they came out with a stomp/preamp version of it. It did not have a tube. I bought it and copied every parameter of a few of the Taboo amplifier's presets. Armed with a Rocktron Velocity (solid state power amp, probably the same as what was in the amp) and two closed back 1x12 cabs with simliar speakers to what was in the Taboo Twin, I did an A/B test between my rig and that amplifier... and they sounded virtually identical! That experience made me believe that the tube in that amplifier was placebo. I think a preamp tube can make a difference in some distortion/overdrive stomp boxes that use them, but in a digital modeling amp? I doubt it.

Im going to say you are dead on. A single preamp tube isnt going to make much difference at all. I mean it can, but this isnt really the proper application. Poweramp tubes would be the thing, which would offer a whole host of problems, but they'd do a much better job of "refining" the original sound..... and then at that point you may as well call it a tube amp. It makes more sense to simply run it into a tube poweramp if thats the sound you want.

98% of internet content is some blithering idiot's tale of woe.

lol that number might be a little high because what i see a lot of, are dudes who looooove giving themselvs a pat on the back.

lol that number might be a little high because what i see a lot of, are dudes who looooove giving themselvs a pat on the back.

Nah...the "check out my awesomeness" types are just louder and more ceremonial in their presentations. The excessive pageantry makes it seem like they're everywhere, but the whiners will always outnumber them. In contrast, it's hard to throw a fit in style, which makes those folks easier to ignore... ;)

• Upvote 1

Nah...the "check out my awesomeness" types are just louder and more ceremonial in their presentations. The excessive pageantry makes it seem like they're everywhere, but the whiners will always outnumber them. It's hard to throw a fit in style, which makes them easier to ignore... ;)

Yeah... but... unboxing videos for the WIN!

Nah...the "check out my awesomeness" types are just louder and more ceremonial in their presentations. The excessive pageantry makes it seem like they're everywhere, but the whiners will always outnumber them. It's hard to throw a fit in style, which makes them easier to ignore... ;)

One of the most perfectly worded comments I've read in my personal history of reading on the internet.

Perfect summation.

(We now return you to the thread topic, already in progress...)

"It's work to get rid of, and I wish I didn't have to do it too. Point is, I'm not sure there's any other way for them to do it. The "amp in the room"thing that so many lust after would require modeling a dizzying number of mic positions and distances in an 180 degree arc from the cabinet. In front, above, left, right.."As soon as these amp modellers start heading the direction that 2 Notes Torpedo is going with mic placement, and more importantly the addition of convolution reverbs that simulate the reverb that is generated from the mics placement, and location in the room you will have nearly solved the problems the current modelers face, with having to high cut, or low pass the frequencies that we can not stand. This is one of the defining features I feel is necessary for me to buy another modeller in the future. I currently went back to a real amp/ cab, and use the 2 Notes Torpedo live, or Reload, because I like the fact that if I want to I can use the 2 notes BlendIr software to copy my ideal cab, and mic placement if I so choose. It is not the most Ideal thing because I need a nice linear solid state power amp to create a IR/ Tur file that I can use that sounds pretty dang close to my real amp, which would then be sent to front of hall, and my real amp gets the thru jack sound, which allows me to have the real amp sound, live or just mute it entirely with the load box that the Live, or Reload has.

• 1 year later...
On 3/26/2017 at 5:10 PM, boynigel said:

"FRFR fail" was merely a way to possibly get someone's attention who might be shopping for one and to let them possibly take from my experience and learn that maybe they don't need one. 

And here I am 2 years later in that exact position.  Appreciate everyone commenting on the subject and the OP thread. Some of us out here are newbs and just trying to learn. Was looking at Rokits, Yamahas, JBLs, etc.  Maybe I will give it a shot through my little Vox AC4 first to see if I really need "FRFR".  Personal playing, won't ever leave the house. 

• 7 months later...
On 3/24/2017 at 8:14 PM, Verne-Bunsen said:

I'm with you, it wouldn't have occurred to me to try it that way. A little Rivera magic could very well be part of that recipe, they are spectacular amps! Good reminder that rules are made to be broken. I'll be interested to see if anyone else chimes in with similar experience?

On 3/24/2017 at 5:44 PM, boynigel said:

shortly after purchasing my helix i purchased a QSC K12 as it's always been my understanding that modelers sound best through these kinds of speakers.  one day for sh!ts and grins i decided to see how my Helix sounded through the front of my Rivera Venus Deux, which is Rivera's "pedal" platform amplifier.  i called up some of my favorite patches, turned off any IR's and/or cab sims and plugged it in to the Rivera.  wow.  just, wow.  sounded absolutely incredible.  even through the Rivera's single 12, there was more "oomph" and resonance than what i'd experienced w/the cab simulations through the QSC.  to be fair, the Rivera is a hell of an amp and its enclosure is a bit larger than the average 1X12 combo, but still...  after about 15 minutes i plugged back in to the QSC which left me even more floored as to how much better the Helix sounded through the Rivera.  who knew?  i suppose YMMV as they say, but for me it's a no-brainer.  the QSC is now on CL.  i would encourage any one who has a good tube amp with a nice sounding clean channel to try what i did before plopping down a good chunk of change on a FRFR.  you may be very pleasantly surprised...or not, but it's worth a try before you buy.

On 3/27/2017 at 8:20 PM, hideout said:

Have you tried other FRFR speakers?

sweetwater has a whole write up on em- very informative.

Reason I mention this , is because they talk about many FRFR manufacturers designed for modeling supposedly have that “UmPh” of a speaker cabinet. At the end of the list they mention the QSC k-12 as like a “this also “works” option”....

I know your running it thru the front of your amp and that’s something I likes about these posts- the willingness to go outside the box and yield with promising results .

I had to look at this with an open mind to believe your getting great results that way- but I absolutely do-

My 2nd guitarist gets great results running 4cm through his JC-120,

but we kind of expected that to work, considering it’s a very clean /neutral amp.

I however have a problem even running an IR through my vox ac50 because I already love the tone of that amp- so I split my signal at the end / pan it hard over, and  run an IR straight out so that it doesn’t color my amp.

Im just giving examples of my thought process , and my desire to want to hear the modeled tones as accurately as they were intended.

Just wondering if ya tried any oof those FRFR designed for modeling/ if they have that oomph or not, and if you find that your sims still sound remarkably similar to what they are supposed to be??

54 minutes ago, AdamAndroidFG said:

Reason I mention this , is because they talk about many FRFR manufacturers designed for modeling supposedly have that “UmPh” of a speaker cabinet. At the end of the list they mention the QSC k-12 as like a “this also “works” option”....

I know your running it thru the front of your amp and that’s something I likes about these posts- the willingness to go outside the box and yield with promising results .

I had to look at this with an open mind to believe your getting great results that way- but I absolutely do-

but we kind of expected that to work, considering it’s a very clean /neutral amp.

I however have a problem even running an IR through my vox ac50 because I already love the tone of that amp- so I split my signal at the end / pan it hard over, and  run an IR straight out so that it doesn’t color my amp.

Im just giving examples of my thought process , and my desire to want to hear the modeled tones as accurately as they were intended.

Just wondering if ya tried any oof those FRFR designed for modeling/ if they have that oomph or not, and if you find that your sims still sound remarkably similar to what they are supposed to be??

This thread is 3 years old... don't hold your breath for a response.

20 hours ago, AdamAndroidFG said:

You quoted me but it's blank... Wha'd I say?  lol

• 3 years later...
On 3/28/2017 at 11:55 AM, Spacetoner said:

I'm trying to remember...as it was when I first got my Helix. I tried the Helix thru my QSC K10 and it was alright. But it wasn't what I wanted. However, my main use for the Helix is for effects and Variax control. For me, the amps and cabs are secondary. I was using amps and cabs when running into the K10, of course.

If I recall correctly, I then ran the Helix into my Fender DRRI, and things were infinitely better. I gigged with that rig for quite some time. I didn't want to keep lugging around the DRRI, tho. About 50 lbs in its case, plus I wanted to get away from the tube world...the maintenance/fragility and weight aspects of that world, anyway. I have been all about streamlining my rig. Cos at 3AM, the less stuff you have to unload, the better.

Ultimately, I wound up running my Helix thru a Quilter MicroPro Mach 2. Oh my stars. Sounds amazing and weighs 18lbs or so. 8" speaker. How can this be?  :o

I'm sure running direct for recording and such will be fine. Haven't tried that. All my tracks get reamped anyway. For live, and for me, tho, it's the Helix and the Quilter. Fantastic.

Cheers!

How do you connect to your Quilter - into channel, or into effects return?

THNX

• Confused 1

On 3/25/2017 at 9:00 AM, Joepeggio said:

I found with 2ts110's side by side in the floor wedge position gets really really really close, but all my tones ended up thin and a little shrill when going to the PA.

Granted this is an old thread, but it seems the subject never gets old. One factor I don't see mentioned much is that most PA speakers are on a pole, or otherwise more or less at ear level. It may be possible that a lot of the "amp in a room" sound (or more realistically, "cab in a room sound") is due to having amps that sit on the floor. Any bass/lower mids (which are very non-directional) that are headed toward the floor reflect upward, and reinforce what's coming out of the speaker. Simply turning up bass on a pole-mounted PA speaker isn't the same thing, because you're not getting the complex phase interactions from the reflected waves. 

Also, highs are more directional than bass. When mounted on a pole at ear level, you'll hear more highs. So, more highs, less bass, and fewer lower mids would likely produce the thin, shrill effect that's mentioned - particularly because presets may boost the upper mids somewhat to give more articulation through a cab. That kind of a boost would add harshness if heard directly through a PA system.

The reality that's frequently (and I believe, correctly!) mentioned here is that if you find a sound you like, it doesn't really matter how you got there. I have a slightly different take - pretty much any configuration can make the sound you like, but some take more work than others to get there.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

These are some of the key reasons I've always emphasized the differences between budget powered speakers and more premium quality speakers as well as speaker placement as key factors in how these types of speakers will work with modelers in general.

For more than 10 years I've depended on Yamaha DXR12 speakers for live stage production both as monitors and mains.  In my experience Yamaha was one of the first to really spend the time and energy to crack the code on how to design these types of bi-amped DSP driven powered speakers so that they have a more musically pleasant sound due to the way they developed their design and technology to tame these various frequencies.  I've recently moved away from DXR12 as my front speakers to using QSC KLA12 speakers for my mains as those employ waveguide designs which are a step beyond the standard bi-amp and DSP processed speakers on the market, but are also in a significantly higher price category.

It's always mystified me that someone would spend a premium price on a modeler only to run it through bargain basement powered speakers and then wonder why it doesn't sound that great.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2023 at 11:49 PM, craiganderton said:

Granted this is an old thread, but it seems the subject never gets old. One factor I don't see mentioned much is that most PA speakers are on a pole, or otherwise more or less at ear level. It may be possible that a lot of the "amp in a room" sound (or more realistically, "cab in a room sound") is due to having amps that sit on the floor. Any bass/lower mids (which are very non-directional) that are headed toward the floor reflect upward, and reinforce what's coming out of the speaker. Simply turning up bass on a pole-mounted PA speaker isn't the same thing, because you're not getting the complex phase interactions from the reflected waves. 

Also, highs are more directional than bass. When mounted on a pole at ear level, you'll hear more highs. So, more highs, less bass, and fewer lower mids would likely produce the thin, shrill effect that's mentioned - particularly because presets may boost the upper mids somewhat to give more articulation through a cab. That kind of a boost would add harshness if heard directly through a PA system.

The reality that's frequently (and I believe, correctly!) mentioned here is that if you find a sound you like, it doesn't really matter how you got there. I have a slightly different take - pretty much any configuration can make the sound you like, but some take more work than others to get there.

OP here.  with TONS of due respect to Mr. Craig, both my Quilter K12 and Friedman ASM sat on the floor and still didn't have the "it" factor of an actual amp...and that's certainly not to say Craig's claims are incorrect.  They're totally on point, but sound works in mysterious ways i guess.  

FWIW, my preferences have changed.  I found i got even better results, in terms of achieving "amp in a room" realism by bypassing the speaker modeling of the Helix and going into the effects return of one of my Bad Cats.  This has been a constant for me for about 4 years now...which says a lot if you knew me.

When it comes to the technicalities of "why" this is, i can't say...nor do i care, because I'm getting my best modeling tones since modeling emerged back when i got the very first generation of POD...or, if you want to split hairs, back when Sansamp came out almost 35 years ago.  

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 5:51 PM, boynigel said:

OP here.  with TONS of due respect to Mr. Craig, both my Quilter K12 and Friedman ASM sat on the floor and still didn't have the "it" factor of an actual amp...and that's certainly not to say Craig's claims are incorrect.  They're totally on point, but sound works in mysterious ways i guess.  

FWIW, my preferences have changed.  I found i got even better results, in terms of achieving "amp in a room" realism by bypassing the speaker modeling of the Helix and going into the effects return of one of my Bad Cats.  This has been a constant for me for about 4 years now...which says a lot if you knew me.

When it comes to the technicalities of "why" this is, i can't say...nor do i care, because I'm getting my best modeling tones since modeling emerged back when i got the very first generation of POD...or, if you want to split hairs, back when Sansamp came out almost 35 years ago.  

With due respect, I'm not surprised that the best AITR sound you've gotten was by using an Amp In The Room.

Considering that thousands of others get perfectly satisfactory results with any number of other solutions, I can only say that we all have different ears and some are more picky than others.

Everybody should use what makes them happy. Rock On!

• Like 2

On 10/12/2023 at 7:29 AM, DunedinDragon said:

It's always mystified me that someone would spend a premium price on a modeler only to run it through bargain basement powered speakers and then wonder why it doesn't sound that great.

U and me both.

On 10/12/2023 at 6:51 PM, boynigel said:

Thanks for circling back and adding your feedback! I guess the issue is that nothing will have the "it" factor of an actual amp, even to the point where one actual amp won't have the "it" factor of a different actual amp. So really, the question is how close you can come to a particular sound you hear in your head, or have experienced in the past. Placement is part of that, where even the angle of the cab's kickstart makes a difference, as do the materials on the floor and in the room. But there are a lot of moving parts in trying to obtain an exact duplicate of a sound made with one technology using a different technology.

When I did speaker emulation with analog filter circuits back in the 80s I could never get the sound right. Then one day for the heck of it, I did everything wrong - chose components that gave phase shift, passband ripples, and other anomalies "good" engineers avoid. Finally, it sounded like a cab :)

When I consulted to Gibson, at one point I said that since they made Cerwin-Vega PAs, why not use the guts to come up with a Gibson-approved FRFR amp? I was told that there was no way it would sound the same as a "real" amp. So I set up amp sim software through a Cerwin-Vega PA, and frankly, it sounded wonderful - super-detailed and balanced. The people at Gibson agreed that it indeed sounded fantastic, but it didn't sound like a "real amp." Sounding "fantastic" was good enough for me :)

I switched from tube guitar amps to solid-state FRFR keyboard amps in 1968, during my 60s/70s touring days. The goal was to get "my sound" before it hit the amp, so the sound would be the same on stage or in the studio when going through a console. Modelers like Helix going through an FRFR system are like a dream come true for me.

And now that I figured out how to make Helix do surround, I can't wait to start feeding it into immersive audio projects with more than two channels! At least when it comes to playing guitar, it's a great time to be alive.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

FRFR vs AITR ... The discussion shouldn't be a debate... it's just a preference. When someone doesn't understand the FRFR concept it will never work, and once someone does understand the concept it "may or may not" work for them. No right, no wrong!

FWIW... In my beginning years of touring I was taught to listen to my amp through my monitor mix and side fills. This fundamentally changed how I would set my amp, and I started delivering far better tones to the FOH for the people to hear. Even with an amp on stage, I was already listening to the equivalent of an FRFR. This made the evolution to modeling and FRFR seamless for me. 

That's what works for me... I do not insist that it would work for everyone. 

On 10/13/2023 at 1:37 PM, craiganderton said:

The goal was to get "my sound" before it hit the amp, so the sound would be the same on stage or in the studio when going through a console. Modelers like Helix going through an FRFR system are like a dream come true for me.

^^^^ I really can't say it any better than this!  ^^^^ 

On 8/14/2017 at 6:26 PM, johnfrancis said:

I'm still pretty new to Helix. When I first got it, I went 4CM into the FX loop of my Bogner Atma. Sounded fantastic on stage, but I was never really happy with the FOH tone. So I bit the FRFR bullet and now go XLR out into the PA, and digital out to a Line 6 L2m as floor monitor.  I now hear exactly what the audience is hearing. The L2m is beefy enough that I don't really miss the 'real' amp.

If your amp sounded fantastic on stage  but not so hot through the P/A then that is not the fault of you amp.  Nor is it because of how you were using your Helix.  It sounded great.  

It's the fault of one or more of several things:

Sound guy issues

P/A issues

Mic selection or placement

The "room" not properly being accounted for

Could be any number of things

You didn't "fix" anything by switching.  You side stepped it.  That's okay too and if you like it, great but don't try to make it sound like the fault was your amp or 4CM or that method of using Helix.  It was human error.  You had a great sound but you (or your sound guy) didn't learn how to get that great sound to the house.

Lots of people, myself included, use Helix in 4CM and get great results both on stage and in the house mains.