Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Suggestions for SMALLER frfr amplification for Helix

jfroines

So, I've been seeing plenty of suggestions here for pretty heavy hitter FRFR amp solutions to use as the power amp after the Helix, but to be honest, everything I'm seeing is waaaay too big for my purposes. Line 6's own L2t, Atomic CLR, Yamaha DXR10, that stuff, way too big for me and way too expensive as well.

Here's my thing: I'm not looking to play live, and I don't have any sort of professional studio setup where I can blow the house down with volume. What I really want is a way to play through an Helix+amp as a practice setup, using cab sims or not, whatever works, get good low-to-medium volume sound, and then when the time comes, use the direct USB outs of the Helix to my computer to record. So, my main desire here is something that'll allow my custom presets to sound as close to the same as possible when through the amp OR through headphones OR when recorded through USB to my DAW, all without needing huge volume.

Any suggestions for smaller FRFR amp solutions? Am I barking up the wrong tree expecting to get consistent amplified vs direct tone using something small?

I just got a couple of JBL EON 610s. You can use just one though. About 25 lbs and fairly compact (10" woofer version). Plays very well in the home at low volume levels and will crank pretty darn loud as well. Built in EQ so you can put it in "monitor mode" and have it on the floor as a wedge. I found them on Amazon for $324 each, free shipping, no tax.

If you are using headphones with your DAW, no speaker with Helix will sound exactly the same as monitoring your DAW tracks with headphones. Just be aware of that.

I just got a couple of JBL EON 610s. You can use just one though. About 25 lbs and fairly compact (10" woofer version). Plays very well in the home at low volume levels and will crank pretty darn loud as well. Built in EQ so you can put it in "monitor mode" and have it on the floor as a wedge. I found them on Amazon for $324 each, free shipping, no tax.

If you are using headphones with your DAW, no speaker with Helix will sound exactly the same as monitoring your DAW tracks with headphones. Just be aware of that.

Agreed. Also consider JBL LSR305's. Good small frfr

This!

Another option may be the Alto TS210. Sounds good, lightweight and not very expensive.

• Upvote 1

So, my main desire here is something that'll allow my custom presets to sound as close to the same as possible when through the amp OR through headphones OR when recorded through USB to my DAW, all without needing huge volume.

Here's the deal, real amps and cabs will not sound like headphones or studio monitors unless they are EQ'ed. They sound like amps and cabs as they are supposed to. So if you set up Helix to sound good thru a real amp and cabinet, generally speaking, It will sound like lollipop thru studio monitors or headphones. The reverse is also true. So there is a choice to be made. Since you are not playing out I'd get a good pair of studio monitors. I use an old pair of Mackie HR824's and they sound killer for my daw. They also match in frequency/tone my FireHawk 1500 amp, because this amp is made to be like an  "FRFR" flat sounding powered multiple speaker systems in a box setup. Thus I have very very little tonal difference between my daw sound and my FH-1500 amp sound (besides the stereo spread). I hope I have explained this where it will help you decide which way to go, because once you dial Helix in its just awesome stuff!

Suggest ILOUD Micrmonitors. They sound amazing for the size ( can hold in the palm of your hand ). Good low end for this size monitor. Only issue you have to be careful not to send too storng a signal to the monitor. It will shut itself off to protect itself and then reset. Anoying until you find the right setting. 

I'm using Mackie CR4 4" monitors - have only ever had them up beyond 50% volume once!

I have a small study and with a young family there is just no way in hell I'd be able to play even a small amp in the house.

I also invested in a pair of Audio Technica monitor headphones and whilst there is a clear difference in tone to the studio monitors they work really well when you need a virtually silent setup.

I use an EON610 with Helix for live monitor, but its mostly for the rest of the band as I use IEMs - gives great tone and protects my ears at the same time.

I have also had excellent results using a Roland AC90. This is an acoustic guitar amp with two channels, one for a vocal mic and one for acoustic guitar. But it also has stereo line inputs in the back and these work great at medium volume levels with Helix. Its a very flexible amp and I use it a lot for jams, and sometimes for rehearsal.

i am using amplfi 150 in the back aux sounds good they come in 3 different sizes , i have 2 of them but you can run in stereo with one, using all 5 speakers. line 6 has discounted and maybe discontinued making them. they sound good listing to music too . wife likes the look of them ,

If a DXR10 is going to be too big then so will the Eon, the Alto, etc.

If it's the size that matters, the iloud or some small studio monitors are what you want.

I bought a single studio monitor so I didn't have to set up my PA wedge to play at home between rehearsals and such

I also have a set of IK iLoud Micro Monitors and they are indeed awesome. Great for Helix and just great all around speakers for monitoring or enjoying music through. The Bluetooth is a bonus I thought I would never use but it has come quite handy. Don't let the size fool you.

I have an Alto TS110A and it does a pretty good job, especially for the price.  

I don't find I need to tweak my patches to get them to work well with the Alto.  I'm not aware of anything else in the Alto's price range that really competes with it.  Small, compact, lightweight, and PLENTY loud enough if you ever need it to be.  So it's a great solution for bedroom or gigs.  

Not saying it will sound as good as L2T or CLR, but those are much more expensive and as you stated overkill for what you're looking for.  

One other option to think about if it's just you practicing is getting a really good pair of headphones.  I have a pair of Beyerdynamic dt 770 and LOVE them.  When I'm in the studio that's what I'm using the majority of the time.  They are what I've used to build all my patches and the patches translate very well on different PA's and different rooms.  

I love the way they sound and I can blast them at midnight without waking up everyone in the house :)

Thanks for the input everyone! I suppose I'm not being too realistic in thinking I'm going to find a way for my amplified sound to be suuuuper close to a headphone sound no matter what the gear.

I had forgotten that I actually already have a pair of Behringer Truth B2031A powered monitors in storage somewhere. These are not high end things, and I didn't choose them, I kind of inherited them, but they're in more or less mint condition.

I think my main concern isn't so much the physical size, it's the ability to get consistent sound at both medium and much lower volumes, and price. I don't own the Helix yet, but I think it's next up on the shopping list, but it'll leave me pretty flat once it's bought. So, maybe I'll try these Behringer knock-off things (isn't everything from Behringer basically a knock of of something else? Usually Mackie?) since I already have them, and if they don't cut it, maybe look into these Alto TS110A or JBL EOD 610 or something like that.

Dude those Behringer Truth B2031A powered monitors will be just fine. You'll also get a strereo sound which is cool and even though it is true the volume will affect the sound it is not as apparent with modern modelling because they can still scream at low volumes. I have a cheap pair of powered Yamaha ms3p's AND a L2t. Trust me the little yamahas still sound good straight from the Helix. They can't compete with the L2t for low, low end but you can still hear a great signal and if you are not playing live I would say this is all you'll probably ever need. I only really use the L2T for live      ( Bass and Guitar ) and when practicing bass. I can get controlled feedback from both the little 4" monitors and the L2t but I do have to crank the volume and that's risky for those little 4' speakers so if you try this with your Behringer Truth B2031A powered monitors get really close. Enjoy this unit man, you are going to love it! Happy playing to you. Prepare to be inspired.

MG

• 6 months later...