Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FB3 Visibility Issue

I played an outdoor gig a couple of days ago in bright sunshine (warm to hot weather). I used my Spider V240 + FBV3 for ease of set up.

Unfortunately the display and pedal lights on the FBV3 were totally useless and could not be seen. The pedal lights were slightly discernible, but the display could not be read at all. The display on the amp was clear and the pedal board functionality was fine, apart from visibility.

1.        I tried a different Cat 5 cable, but the problem persisted

2.        I covered the display with a thick towel to see if it was just the direct sunshine on the board making for poor visibility. Under heavy shade, the display was very dim and just readable from close up

As a short-term fix, I narrowed my patches down into 2 banks (1 & 2) and wrote scribble strips for each footswitch for the two banks. Worked ok, but very annoying.

When I got home and turned on the unit, visibility was fine again.

Also, during a song, I must have accidentally tripped the looper and recorded the main riff and I couldn't turn it off. I had to power down the amp mid song to reset - stern glares from band members ... I would love to be able to disable the looper button for gigs, but I am unsure how to.

Re the issue of FBV3 visibility, I recall reading about the same issue with the FV MKII and its poor functionality in warm/direct sunshine.

I suspect that, as the unit heats up in the sun, the display malfunctions. I think the footswitch lights (LEDs?) function ok, but there is just poor visibility in direct sunshine.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Cheers
Paul

• 2 weeks later...

No Experience with playing outside yet.

However I often hit the looping [function] button and sometimes accidentally record and then playback a loop of my guitar.  This usually happens when overreaching for the FS3 button.  When entering any looping mode I can stop it by double switching the function button.

Hope this helps

I don't think there's any problem with the display malfunctioning as it warms up. I think it's purely an effect of the sunlight / daylight. Any LCD display is very hard to read in sunlight. Your towel might help but I believe the problem is light, not a heat related malfunction. I think the best you can do in future is try to jury-rig some sort of visor that provides more light shielding than a towel.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
On 3/25/2017 at 6:14 PM, leperclown said:

I played an outdoor gig a couple of days ago in bright sunshine (warm to hot weather). I used my Spider V240 + FBV3 for ease of set up.

Unfortunately the display and pedal lights on the FBV3 were totally useless and could not be seen. The pedal lights were slightly discernible, but the display could not be read at all. The display on the amp was clear and the pedal board functionality was fine, apart from visibility.

1.        I tried a different Cat 5 cable, but the problem persisted

2.        I covered the display with a thick towel to see if it was just the direct sunshine on the board making for poor visibility. Under heavy shade, the display was very dim and just readable from close up

As a short-term fix, I narrowed my patches down into 2 banks (1 & 2) and wrote scribble strips for each footswitch for the two banks. Worked ok, but very annoying.

When I got home and turned on the unit, visibility was fine again.

Also, during a song, I must have accidentally tripped the looper and recorded the main riff and I couldn't turn it off. I had to power down the amp mid song to reset - stern glares from band members ... I would love to be able to disable the looper button for gigs, but I am unsure how to.

Re the issue of FBV3 visibility, I recall reading about the same issue with the FV MKII and its poor functionality in warm/direct sunshine.

I suspect that, as the unit heats up in the sun, the display malfunctions. I think the footswitch lights (LEDs?) function ok, but there is just poor visibility in direct sunshine.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Cheers
Paul

I have had the same issues you are reporting. I have been locked in the looper mode and could not get out, so had to restart. It really sucks when on stage. Also, We just played today and were under shade trees and could not see my songs, then once you get sucked in, there is no way out (RESET) lol. It always works well in the studio, but in the sunlight it is very dim, and totally worthless. That sucks! Have you figured anything out on this issue, especially the display dimness? Hoping so, wait to hear from you. Peace

On 6/28/2017 at 7:44 PM, Tboneous said:

Holy F-All! You weren't kidding about playing outside! The pedal is completely useless on a sunny day! My god what a nightmare!

Did you figure any ways to use the FBV3 during the day? Tips?

• 9 months later...

I have the same problem playing outside either in direct sunlight or under a canopy. Still can read the FBV3 display. I only use 8 patches so it's pretty easy to keep track of where I am. If I'm not sure I check the amp display. I also have to use the amp display to tune. I like the idea of rigging a hood to improve the display. I'll try that Saturday if Laura doesn't wash out the gig. Thanks for the idea. Johnny D.

ps. I've had no issues accidentally starting the looper. Lucky, maybe.