Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using External MIDI Foot Controller to Control iPad over USB through Helix MIDI Connectors?

c00lkatz

I am wondering if the Helix will route through MIDI commands from its hardware MIDI connectors over USB to an iPad? I already have the Helix hooked up to an iPad Mini 2 via USB (and the camera connection adapter), and using MIDI from Helix to control the iPad works great. However, I would like more footswitches.

I would like to hook up an additional MIDI foot controller to the Helix's MIDI ports, and have those commands passed through the Helix over USB to the iPad to control various apps.

Is this possible? Trying to see if this will work before I shell out the cash for a controller.

Thanks!

Yes it works fine - I think there might be a MIDI thru option you need to turn on somewhere perhaps.

But yeah - I've used both my Behringer FCB1010 and also a H&K Midi footswitch with my Helix to control apps on iOS via the CCK.

Currently I am trying to set up a rig with MIDI Guitar 2 feeding into Infinite Looper, which then plays samples from ThumbJam and Korg Gadget - and also I am using Group the Loop (or Loopy) to loop the actual guitar tones as well...  Need lots of foot switches to control all of that ;)

No problem :)

I have to say - now I am used to how easy it is to set up MIDI message on Helix foot switches - and also the amazing Scribble strips so I can tell what the switch does, my FCB1010 feels so primitive, with it's letterbox menu editing and "white tape and sharpie" scribble strip.

I wish the Helix control unit could be made to plug into Helix to double up the buttons :)

Yeah that would awesome. I'm looking at some of these controllers, and they are all just so antiquated compared to Helix - we've been spoiled lol. Thinking about getting a Voodoolabs Ground Control Pro - there's one used close to me for $250. Tons of footswitches but man, looks like a pain to program. In case this didn't work I also toyed around with the idea of getting an FBV 3 or FBV Shortboard MKII and using a powered USB hub to connect both the Helix and the controller via USB. Then I could use FBV Control to edit the pedal. However I read there may be some issues with multiple USB devices requiring a certain boot up or app startup sequence to get them to jive correctly. Was also thinking about modding it with a MIDI connector and wiring up the FBV RJ45 jack to it, since that's all it is plus power - and from what I've read about the Quicco Sound mi.1 working with the Helix (and it requires MIDI phantom power), might even get power for the FBV from the Helix MIDI ports. Might have to pick one up and try it out.