Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

need some help and direction--audio interfaces

Hey all, im super new to recording. With that said, i am using a line 6 GX with pod farm 2.5. From what i've read i can use any interface (outside of line 6) with pod farm 2.5. With the GX i've noticed it doesnt handle high gain (i play metal /hard rock). What would be a great step up from the GX? Within a 300$ range that isnt line 6?And do i need to have the gx connected for pod farm show my settings for the licensing? Any and as much info as you guys can spare is greatly appreciated .TIA

You might want to try the Metal Pack add-on, you can get a refund within 30 days if you do not like it.

The PF license that comes with the GX is a hardware enabled license, which means you need the GX connected to use the models.

Do you have the Toneport or the POD Studio?

Line6 also has a Hardware Independent version of PF, but it is a separate purchase.

I have heard of some Line 6 devices not doing well with active pickup guitars (wonder if that's what you mean about 'high gain').   Usually that can be rectified by using a stompbox between the guitar and device input that does not have 'true bypass' so acts as a buffer.

I'm using the pod studio GX. Is the metal pack that good?

Also yes, im ising EMG 81/85's. I own a a few stomps as well as a 10 band eq. i tried using the eq before the toneport to see if i can use it, but when activated the feed is cut. Can i not use it at all as part of a chain? only as a buffer?

I'm using the pod studio GX. Is the metal pack that good?

That's very subjective.

A different interface is not going necessarily going to make POD Farm sound different. We need to figure out what you are hearing as "doesn't handle high gain".

If you are clipping coming in, that would be the first hurdle.

What DAW are you using?

You can certainly use stompboxes in the signal chain between guitar and Pod.

Not sure what you mean by

so i have my guitar-->MXR 108 10 band EQ-->toneport

the MXR is activated with a foot switch. when passive the channel is open and there is sound. when activated to use EQ,the channel is closed and there is no feed.

so i have my guitar-->MXR 108 10 band EQ-->toneport

the MXR is activated with a foot switch. when passive the channel is open and there is sound. when activated to use EQ,the channel is closed and there is no feed.

Assume your power supply to the MXR is working. :)    Make sure you don't have the 'volume' and 'gain' sliders on the MXR at '-12', same thing with all the EQ band sliders.  Do you have an amp that you can check the MXR with to make sure its really working?