Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Snapshot Copy

jyanes

Is there a way within the Helix editor to copy a snapshot to another snapshot? 

I am using the Mac version, when i right click and copy a snapshot, there is then no option to paste on top of another snapshot. 

Any thoughts? 

I've not used the Mac editor, but on the Windows editor, when you right click on the camera icon near the snapshot pulldown menu, a menu comes up where you can choose the various functions. After you copy and go to another snapshot and right click on the camera icon, paste is one of the options.

From the hardware, it takes three seconds:

1. While touch-holding the Snapshot you want to copy, briefly touch and release the destination Snapshot.
  2. Press Knob 6 (OK).

^This^

Also something to keep in mind. If you play out with your Helix, try getting used to doing these types of things from the Helix and not the editor. You may find yourself in a pinch at a gig and you won't remember or not know how to do a simple task with just the hardware. Most of these functions are very fast doing them right from Helix. 

• Upvote 1

Most of these functions are very fast doing them right from Helix. 

Almost everything is way faster from the hardware. The only thing that's faster from the editor is naming stuff. And maybe reordering presets.

Assigning footswitches? 3 seconds. Swapping footswitch assignments? 3 seconds. Assigning controllers? 3 seconds. MIDI mapping? 3 seconds. Copying Snapshots? 3 seconds. Swapping snapshots? 3 seconds.

Oh, and you should all be navigating around the screen by touching switches. The joystick is there as a last resort.

Shortcuts are your friend.

Almost everything is way faster from the hardware. The only thing that's faster from the editor is naming stuff. And maybe reordering presets.

Assigning footswitches? 3 seconds. Swapping footswitch assignments? 3 seconds. Assigning controllers? 3 seconds. MIDI mapping? 3 seconds. Copying Snapshots? 3 seconds. Swapping snapshots? 3 seconds.

Oh, and you should all be navigating around the screen by touching switches. The joystick is there as a last resort.

Shortcuts are your friend.

Very true, I find myself hopping down to the hardware 95% of the time even if I'm at the computer. Thanks for the shortcut list DI, it made ma aware of a couple of things I'd forgotten.

Anywho, what's brings you to the forum? :D Got any plans for today? Doing anything special? :D

Very true, I find myself hopping down to the hardware 95% of the time even if I'm at the computer. Thanks for the shortcut list DI, it made ma aware of a couple of things I'd forgotten.

Anywho, what's brings you to the forum? :D Got any plans for today? Doing anything special? :D

I'm here all the time.  :huh:

Lots of plans for today, but they deal with future Helix stuff.

I'm here all the time.  :huh:

Lots of plans for today, but they deal with future Helix stuff.

You know that awkward feeling when a joke makes sense in your head, but then you have to explain it cuz it didn't make sense once you verbalized it?

My question was along the lines of, " hey stranger is that a firmware upgrade in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

Wow, I just made this even more awkward.

• Haha 1

You know that awkward feeling when a joke makes sense in your head, but then you have to explain it cuz it didn't make sense once you verbalized it?

My question was along the lines of, " hey stranger is that a firmware upgrade in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

Wow, I just made this even more awkward.

Oh, I got it—just pretended not to to make it awkward. Because I love "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and the BBC version of "The Office." You're welcome.

• 4 years later...

heya.  I cant seem to be able to copy snapshots anymore.  I can only swap them from the helix itself.  It used to be if you repeatedly touch (not press) 2 snapshots, it would offer to swap them, then copy them.  Any settings that I need to enable/disable?  Running the latest firmware.  thanks

10 hours ago, theElevators said:

heya.  I cant seem to be able to copy snapshots anymore.  I can only swap them from the helix itself.  It used to be if you repeatedly touch (not press) 2 snapshots, it would offer to swap them, then copy them.  Any settings that I need to enable/disable?  Running the latest firmware.  thanks

Do you have global settings 'Footswitches' --> 'Stomp Select' = "Touch"?  Touching and holding(NOT pressing) two snapshot switches will offer to swap the snapshots whereas a two-switch touch and release will offer to copy from one to the other.  Tip: If done shortly after the first, a second touch and release will offer to copy the snapshot in the opposite direction(e.g. SS2 --> SS1 instead of SS1-->SS2)  .

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theElevators said:

oh ok got it!  thanks.  that setting 'stomp select' still doesn't make any sense to me.  With it disabled, you can still swap snapshots.  With it enabled, you can additionally copy one snapshot into another.  

You are right about it not being intuitive. The two-switch touch for swap does continue to work, even with that setting off, although the copy does not. The 'Stomp Select' nomenclature isn't really that descriptive either. I think it is a legacy setting that originally only controlled whether or not touching a capacitance enabled footswitch would switch the focus to the assigned block and with one of the firmware updates also allowed the assignments for two blocks to be swapped. When snapshots were eventually added to the firmware, additional snapshot swapping/copying functionality got collapsed into that setting.

I guess adding an additional global setting or additional choices to the existing one ultimately would make the most sense as the expectation for many users when 'Stomp Select' = "Off" is that no functions of any kind will be invoked with a touch. I have seen similar posts from HX Stomp users confused about the 'Stomp Select' setting's modes of operation. Although its operation could(should?) probably be blown out into two or more global settings or additional choices available for 'Stomp Select' I can also understand Line6's inclination to resist global setting bloat.

In the meantime thanks for your post helping to lend some clarity to how this setting currently operates, at least on the Helix.

• 9 months later...

I'm unable to copy a Snapshot from one preset into another/different preset.   I'm running the latest (3.11) Helix Floor & editor on Windows10. 

In the windows editor, I can select a snapshot and "copy", however the "paste" option is greyed out when I try to paste into another preset.   

Another question:  Is there a way to "clear" or delete a preset?  Only way I know to do it is to copy an empty "New Preset" atop an existing preset that I want to delete/clear.

In order to copy a snapshot between presets I think the two presets would need to be identical in terms of blocks and routing. The same exact blocks would need to appear in the presets in the same exact order. They may even need to be identical in terms of which parameters are assigned to the Snapshot controller.

Even if implemented I don’t think it would be very practical or commonly used.

Thanks for response and opinions.

I disagree on usefulness. I would expect "paste Smapsot" action to completely replace routing, blocks, etc (ie, identical copy).  Having the capability to customize/design presets with snapshots snips from this or that other preset would be very helpful to my workflow, and arguably to others.

As a new user I'm still figuring out my workflow as well as best use of the controllers.  Snapshots are a powerful feature.  Copy/pasting snapshots between presets will save me a LOT of time as I build out my personal presets (so would other snapshot edit functions, such as a clear/reset snapshot).  I am also experimenting with A-B switching within a snapshot which is also useful and a bit more transparent to user. 

I may be misunderstanding you. If pasting a snapshot would completely replace the routing and blocks in the existing (target) preset - what's the point of having a target preset? Seems to me it's no longer relevant. Why not just copy the preset that contains the snapshot you want to copy? That, too, will replace all routing and blocks in the target preset, and it's an existing capability. Seems to me you end up in the same place.

What am I missing?

11 hours ago, dsmall2112 said:

Thanks for response and opinions.

I disagree on usefulness. I would expect "paste Smapsot" action to completely replace routing, blocks, etc (ie, identical copy).  Having the capability to customize/design presets with snapshots snips from this or that other preset would be very helpful to my workflow, and arguably to others.

As a new user I'm still figuring out my workflow as well as best use of the controllers.  Snapshots are a powerful feature.  Copy/pasting snapshots between presets will save me a LOT of time as I build out my personal presets (so would other snapshot edit functions, such as a clear/reset snapshot).  I am also experimenting with A-B switching within a snapshot which is also useful and a bit more transparent to user. 

If your "workflow" you refer to is to set up several presets that have exactly the same blocks, start designing snapshots in one and then decide you want a snapshot from another, I can see why this might be useful.

Think about the mechanics of what you are asking for though. A snapshot is as you know simply a variation of the blocks' parameters and bypass states in a given preset. You cannot alter the contents of a block, e.g. an overdrive to a phasor, from snapshot to snapshot. That means at a minimum to do what you are requesting, the snapshot routine would have to examine the target preset, do a comparison with the source preset, and then reject any snapshot assigned parameter or bypass states for blocks that don't exist in the target. Add to that the fact that routing parameters can be assigned to snapshots. I can see where copying that to a preset with different routing set up would wreak havoc on the preset. It would add computational overhead and additional coding for a snapshot copy. To top it off the snapshot you copied might sound quite completely different from the source as several blocks that had snapshots assigned in the source preset might not even exist in the target.

Let's say you decided to allow snapshot copies only between presets with the same blocks and routing. I could envision that being useful if the use case I laid out in my first paragraph accurately describes your workflow. My guess though is your Ideascale submission may not be compelling enough to acquire the development resources required when most people use preset templates for reuse of snapshots they employ repeatedly, particularly once they get more experienced at anticipating what they will be using in a preset/snapshot. Albeit, templates may not be as easy when the snapshots you want to use are spread across multiple templates. In that case cross preset snapshot copies (under very specific conditions) might be easier but they would also be a lot more prone to causing confusion due to the complexities described above as well as requiring the aforementioned additional development(and QA) resources.

An alternative concept occurs to me that more users might use, and it might get you most if not all of what you want in the way of workflow. They could add a grouping function to Favorites that allowed you to paste in multiple blocks simultaneously with the parameters and bypass states set as you wish. This would expedite preset construction. You would create a Favorites "Group" with your preferred blocks, bypass states, and settings, name it, and be able to paste in those multiple blocks in a single click. For example, a group named "Clean Snap" composed of the EQ, chorus, Reverb, and delay blocks and settings you frequently use in a clean snapshot. This approach also has its challenges though as the path would need to have enough slots and DSP available for your "Group" and the blocks would have to be sequential (although you could move them around after the paste). Again, not something Line6 might want to devote development resources to. Nonetheless, I could see it being very handy.