Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Looking for some guidance

R_Z1

Greetings.  My very first post.  I've been a member for some time, but mostly to look around, learn some about my current setup, and download the editor.  I've had the Pod X3 with the shortboard for some time.  I've never taken the time to program it, but just downloaded a few creations from users.  I no longer play in a band, and the majority of my music is done in my home studio(hence the pod).  I play a few instruments so one system for guitar and bass is great. 

But now, I've got GAS for the Helix.  I've been watching some videos on youtube trying to get a grasp on how to do more than just push presets.  And herein lies my problem.  I know to get a more realistic sound than I get from my current Pod, I'm going to have to learn to tweak the Helix. Plus there are terms you folks use that I have no clue about such as an IR.   I just haven't found the right sources, and for me visual is so much better than reading.  I've looked just a little through the forum, but I thought I'd just go ahead and ask here for some help.  Are there any links or videos that can be put on this thread that you think would be good for the initial learning curve.  Or perhaps there's already a thread you can point me to that answers a lot of my noob questions.  I would appreciate any and all suggestions. 

Thanks in advance.  Ron

Have you viewed any of the introductory videos from Line 6?  They're pretty good at introducing you to the key concepts and how things work.  You can also download the manual in PDF format from the line 6 support site.  Beyond that just search for "Line 6 Helix" on YouTube and you'll find TONS of videos to keep you busy.

As far as IR's, that's a concept that was never present in the X3 and it's simply a different type of cabinet that is constructed by any number of companies and individuals that you can import and use in your Helix patches.  You have the stock cabinets that come with the Helix, and you can get IR's from all sorts of outside sources.

The difference with IR's is that they're basically a snapshot or model of a specific real-world cabinet and mic response characteristics...so basically a cabinet and mic model.  The difference being that the each IR file represents a specific cabinet, microphone, and microphone placement on that cabinet, so the sound can vary quite a bit even on the same cabinet.  They're very flexible and you can combine them to really craft the sound of a given amp.  It's really basically the same process that's been used by manually by sound engineers on real cabinets in both studios and live performance for producing a specific, polished sound.

Most people start out just using the stock cabinets and mics supplied by Line 6 because they're very easy to use and adjust.  Once you're comfortable with them you might consider looking into IR's as a way to better refine your sound.

This is more less words of encouragement than advice but I found myself in a similar situation quite a few years back.

I had (still have) a X3 at the time but had been on a self-imposed sabbatical from the being in band thing, and the whole music scene in general.   About a year before Helix was released, I re-entered scene and was back in a band with that X3, which was severely dated.  I had seen some promo stuff for Helix and I upgraded to Helix when it first became available.  Talk about a night and day difference from that X3.

I had the same concerns that you did.  I had no clue what an IR was or how to use it.  However I used YouTube to find people who actually knew what they were doing and just crammed my head full of knowledge.  By watching the videos and browsing this forum, I soon became familiar with the lingo used and developed a "best practice" routine for creating patches.

There are a lot of people on YouTube who just want to sell you patches instead of showing you how it is done or giving you tips.  However, there is Scott Minchk of The Helix Channel.  I think he does a fantastic job going under the hood and describing what he does with his creations.  He even has a couple of vids on IRs.

You can find his channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpJrfCxQmio6zyjut4n0qRw

Just my two cents. 

Thanks for the great info.  I have watched some of the Line 6 videos, however, most that I've seen are more of an introduction to the unit and not how to do things.  I'm glad to get a better understanding of IR's.  That makes sense.  As for snapshots, I did watch a Richie Castellano video on them, but I still have more work to do at understanding.  I'll check out Scott as recommended and continue my quest to get a decent understanding of the unit before I order.  I know having it in front of me is the best way to learn so I'm sure I'll pull the trigger soon.

Again, thanks for the help.

Hey Ron – I know you asked for videos.  I spent a lot of time watching them on YouTube and reading this Forum and I really didn’t get it until I started creating my own patches and sculpting my sound based on Forum advice.  I’ve had the helix about 7 weeks now and this forum took me from dispair to ecstasy, which is why I follow it looking for other newbies I might help. 

I was new to IRs too and I searched this site and found links to download a zillion (literally so many I haven’t even tried a small %).  For my taste, they sound really alive compared to what I get tweaking the cabs and I only use IRs.  It seems that most discussion is on RedWirez, OwnHammer and 3Sigma IRs.  I got some free ones from their sites and then I bought more of the ones I like the most (RedWirez).  And Line 6 gives you the “Allure†IRs which some people like (I don’t use them – just a matter of what sound you want). 

On the Helix sound, you will almost certainly encounter the “hiss/fizz†issue.  There are a lot of posts on that but basically you’ll need to have EQ in your signal chain to manage that.  I have eq before my amp and again after it and the effects. 

I bought some patches and don’t use any (I don’t like the sound).  But they showed me some other ways to think about how to build my signal chains.  If you use effects like I do (comp, eq, distortion, verb, delay…) you need to use both signal chains or you’ll run out of DSP power. 

I also use a lot of snapshots to have a clean sound, crunch, dist, and overdriven sound for one setup. Note that snapshots only turn things off and on so I’ll use two of the same dist pedal in a chain to have diff settings for diff snapshops.  Another approach is to have 2 independent signal chains (paths A and B) with amps and cabs/IRs and use snapshots to switch between them to have two really diff setups available at once.  You’re limited in the number of effects you can use for a path when doing this. 

Sorry for the long post – I’m working on music 4-6 hours a day/night and the Helix is integral to that so I’m excited to talk about it! 

Richie Castellano does have some great videos showing how he programs different patches with amps versus FRFR, stereo versus mono, snapshots, and more. Very helpful for me. I watched them before taking the leap to a Helix (about a week ago). I've also read a ton on the forum and I'm VERY happy with the tones I'm getting now (using an L3T). I will continue to experiment and I can imagine that I will get even happier as I learn more.

Aha!  Searching for Helix IR's on youtube has opened doors to videos I would have never seen.  While I'm still all fuzzy on editing anything at this point, watching the first IR video and how to place it in the chain was inspiring.  Scott at The Helix Channel mentioned he picked up a bunch of free IR's.  Where would he have found them?  On this Line 6 site?

Great info!  I'm soaking up as much as I can.  Still in overload mode at this point, but I so appreciate all these links.  For an old geezer like myself, I'm very motivated to get as much out of the Helix as I can.  Can't thank you all enough. 

I had a hard time bending my head around snapshots at first, but I'm getting better.  My last setup before getting the Helix was pedalboard + amp, so of course I fell right back into the comfort zone of building my presets, then running the helix in stop mode and individually toggling the effects on and off when needed.  That method has its place sometimes, but honestly it's wasting a good portion of the Helix's talent. 

Since the Helix is a bit more complex than the modelers I used back in the 90's, you can't really hot-change patches mid song because there's a slight delay in the changeover.  Snapshots are a partial way around that.  Basically you load the signal path(s) with all of the amps and effects you'll need for a song, then use snapshots to handle multiple bypass or setting changes in one punch of a footswitch.  They will NOT reconfigure the signal path or add/remove individual effect blocks from the chain, but creative use of bypass states and signal splits allow you to run multiple configurations within the same preset, to the extent the processing power will allow for.  In the cases where I do run out of DSP on a path, I have an M5 stompbox modeller I plug into one of the loops since it has much of the same effects the Helix does.  The really cool thing about that is that the Helix will send preset change messages to the M5 over MIDI, the only hook is you can only use that loop once in the same preset, so you have to choose its place carefully and not expect to be able to use it both as a pre-amplifier distortion and a post-amplifier delay in the same preset. 

I have always believed in fully educating yourself on a product before starting to use it. I have always been the kind who read manuals from cover to cover before even turning stuff on.  I think, by and large, it's the best approach, whether it's a piece of software, hardware, a camera, etc...

But...

...that's not the way Helix needs to work. And that's good news.

Stop worrying about IR and terminology and all that is my advice. For some of us, the built-in cabs are just fine, or even preferable, and for many (I'm not saying any of YOU guys of course) there is the confirmation bias of "well, I spent all this money on IRs from all these companies, so if I don't think they're better I'm making myself look foolish... or I'm not one of the cool kids..." For some people, the IRs that are out there are a must for getting your tone. Wait to see what the cabs have, especially dual cabs, before you plunk down any money (try the free samples, though, sure!)

here's what you should do, imho.

Get the unit, get it out, plug it in, get the cheat sheet out, and put the USB key with the manual aside for now (read it while you're watching TV at night or something, 80% or more of what you need to know is on the getting started sheet).

Get a computer with the editor on it and Facebook and this forum open in a browser (join the Line 6 Helix Group ORIGINAL).

go to a blank patch and dial in an amp that you like and tweak it. Ask questions on the fb forum and watch in awe and wonder how you get answers in less than 15 minutes!

add a comp before or after the amp.

add a delay if you like delay.

add a dirt box if you like a dirt box.

etc... ask questions when it sounds like crap and we'll help you out.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

imho, Helix is the simplest to use digital effects device ever made. It only LOOKS intimidating, and only for a few minutes. I was as comfortable with Helix after 3 days as I was with HD 500 after 3 or 4 weeks.

• Upvote 2

I had a hard time bending my head around snapshots at first, but I'm getting better.  My last setup before getting the Helix was pedalboard + amp, so of course I fell right back into the comfort zone of building my presets, then running the helix in stop mode and individually toggling the effects on and off when needed.  That method has its place sometimes, but honestly it's wasting a good portion of the Helix's talent. 

Since the Helix is a bit more complex than the modelers I used back in the 90's, you can't really hot-change patches mid song because there's a slight delay in the changeover.  Snapshots are a partial way around that.  Basically you load the signal path(s) with all of the amps and effects you'll need for a song, then use snapshots to handle multiple bypass or setting changes in one punch of a footswitch.  They will NOT reconfigure the signal path or add/remove individual effect blocks from the chain, but creative use of bypass states and signal splits allow you to run multiple configurations within the same preset, to the extent the processing power will allow for.  In the cases where I do run out of DSP on a path, I have an M5 stompbox modeller I plug into one of the loops since it has much of the same effects the Helix does.  The really cool thing about that is that the Helix will send preset change messages to the M5 over MIDI, the only hook is you can only use that loop once in the same preset, so you have to choose its place carefully and not expect to be able to use it both as a pre-amplifier distortion and a post-amplifier delay in the same preset. 

Unless you had TWO M5's (or M9's or M13 or H9 or Zoom 70cdr or Zoom MS-50G).  ;)

At the prices of these things It's not even that unrealistic....

I do hope someday they allow you to have multiple splits in a path, as sometimes I'm not limited by DSP so much as slots when I split two cabs off an amp on two different paths.

Greetings.  My very first post.  I've been a member for some time, but mostly to look around, learn some about my current setup, and download the editor.  I've had the Pod X3 with the shortboard for some time.  I've never taken the time to program it, but just downloaded a few creations from users.  I no longer play in a band, and the majority of my music is done in my home studio(hence the pod).  I play a few instruments so one system for guitar and bass is great. 

But now, I've got GAS for the Helix.  I've been watching some videos on youtube trying to get a grasp on how to do more than just push presets.  And herein lies my problem.  I know to get a more realistic sound than I get from my current Pod, I'm going to have to learn to tweak the Helix. Plus there are terms you folks use that I have no clue about such as an IR.   I just haven't found the right sources, and for me visual is so much better than reading.  I've looked just a little through the forum, but I thought I'd just go ahead and ask here for some help.  Are there any links or videos that can be put on this thread that you think would be good for the initial learning curve.  Or perhaps there's already a thread you can point me to that answers a lot of my noob questions.  I would appreciate any and all suggestions. 

Thanks in advance.  Ron

Once you have read up on the Helix, make your purchase through Sweetwater. If you don't like it after 30 days, just return it. Not much of a risk there. Just keep in mind, 30 days is not much with the Helix. I have had mine for about 8 months, and it still feels new to me in terms of different workflows that I am learning to create all the time. You have virtually endless combinations of stuff you can put together in the signal chain. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.  I appreciate all the help.  I did talk with my rep at Sweetwater.  All I have to do is pull the trigger.  I've tried to watch what videos I can find, and read what I can, although I find visual learning much better for me.  I really want this Helix, but I'm questioning myself as to learning it.  I've yet to find a video that starts you from the beginning and walks you though things.  Am I just missing it?  I sure want to have a decent understanding before I get it delivered.  Anyone know of any specific videos that can give me some direction?

Once you get it, here's what I know.

It will be the easiest piece of modeling gear to learn to use ever. It was for me.

You don't need a video.

Get a blank patch, and the quick reference card that comes in the box, and build a simple patch from scratch.

You will learn SO much more from that than anything else.