Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT25 COMBO VS DT50 HEAD

hichembell

well, after a long road , I have finally decided that i needed the DT for my hd500.

now, I have the opportunity to pick up either the 25 combo or the 50 head. 

What's the main difference between the 25 and the 50 model as far as tone , headroom , power ?? is the 50 a great improvement in terms of power and headroom ?? what about the feel ?? is it any different ??

something else : direct out?? i think in the 50 I will not be able to use it when in stand by mode 

IS the low volume mode different on the 50 model

last, is the 25 more reliable in terms of building quality ?? thank you

• Downvote 1

I have a DT50 112 and a DT25 head/cab....DT50 is a better sounding amp. But that has more to do with my preference for EL34 power amps over EL84s and the increased headroom. DT25 is barely enough power for louder situations (clean tone gets spongy). Both are great sounding amps and remarkably similar. Build quality is the same IMO. great.

I have a DT25 and love the sound. It's 25 'valve watts' and so I've never needed it past 2:00 (I have my 500X on 12:00-3:00 depending on venue). I'm playing pubs etc. and have never felt I needed more volume. In my opinion, if I played anywhere bigger, so needed more volume, I'd either be mic'd or have a DI to the desk anyway....

If you play a more clean tones and need the headroom get the 50. If you like a bit more breakup and distorted tones get the 25. Smaller wattage breaks up quicker. I've played outside with my DT25, no mic'ed and only had to about 6 to match the Drum and small PA used. It's a loud little amp. If your going into the PA, it don't matter anyway. 

FYI

I have the D25 Head & Cab. It is plenty loud for what I need. I've never been able to use it full out.

I also much prefer the H&C over the Combo. A nicer, tighter sound IMHO and ... it splits the weight up. For me, the D50 would be total over kill but I am not playing the type of music that needs that huge volume.

Have 2 D25 cabs. Stacked or side by they sound great. It is a nice little rig. Totally happy with it. Might get another DT25 head to make it stereo at some point. When a nice deal comes along I'll scoop one.

I will reiterate as I have said before, I took Space's recommendation to get an AVR and I have never had a problem anywhere. I run our whole band through it. A beautiful thing indeed.

• Upvote 1

I also much prefer the H&C over the Combo. A nicer, tighter sound IMHO and ... it splits the weight up. For me, the D50 would be total over kill but I am not playing the type of music that needs that huge volume.

Good point the DT25 combo is an open back cab. The DT25 extension cab is closed back. So you get the close back or open back sound depending on which you like better. With the head you could always hook to any cab as well, each will change the tone but you might find one you like better than the DT ones.

AVR is one of the best gear investments I have ever made. It's the reason I have electronic gear that is nearing 40 years old that still works. Interesting how gear benefits from stable input voltage/current....I better stop before I start preaching again...  :lol:

I have the DT25 combo with a DT extension cab. Best of both worlds. Either or both. Small gigs, just the combo, bigger gigs full rig.

I also have an anologue pedal board using the 4 cable hook up. (5 if you count the channel switch). Very versatile, change on the fly, no endless tweaking (did that with the Flextone III) and easy to adapt for each venue.

Easily loud enough for medium sized (300 pax) pubs if you want to actually hear the music, not just make a lot of noise. If the venue is bigger, hook up to the pa.

DO you feel the difference between EL84 of the DT25 and the EL34 of the DT50 ??

With the difference in headroom, most definitely on clean Fender flavor and low gain Marshall tones. The guitar doesn't jump out of the cabinet can grab you around the neck like a real Twin does...DT-50 gets a whole lot closer to this but 2xEL34 is never going to match the clean dynamics of a 4x6L6 amp. Those sorts of spank tones generally need 50-100 watts of tube power to render something convincing...Tonally, both amps are fantastic...DT50 has a little extra mojo with the tube buffer driving the inverter tube. DT25 has a solid-state buffer to drive the inverter tube...I think it's FET...

Im getting the 50 version..lot of videos where i was pleased with the DT sound was about the 50 version , se maybe there is this magical thing about EL34 tube. Im also getting he 50 version for being absolutely sure to be able to use it what ever the situation is (live /rehearsal ). Hope i will not be defeated with low power mode. Does is sound good ?? shall I have two different versions of the same patche for LOW volume and normal volume mode ?? or using pre amp version with low volume mode adds power amp simulation to the sound ??

Im getting the 50 version..lot of videos where i was pleased with the DT sound was about the 50 version , se maybe there is this magical thing about EL34 tube. Im also getting he 50 version for being absolutely sure to be able to use it what ever the situation is (live /rehearsal ). Hope i will not be defeated with low power mode. Does is sound good ?? shall I have two different versions of the same patche for LOW volume and normal volume mode ?? or using pre amp version with low volume mode adds power amp simulation to the sound ??

I use low power mode at home and it's strong. Sounds great. Your patches might be different with the mode switch so make them appropriately. Test out your sound whenever you make changes like different guitars, different rooms and outdoors.

Edited by Brazzy