Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

AXE FX XL+ --> Firehawk1500

maorgr

Hi guys,

I'm a bit lost here, currently I loaded an empty preset on the FH and connected the L/R output of the axe fx 2 to the monitor in of the FH1500.

is this the correct way to connect the axe to the FH1500 and get the best sound quality out of both devices, or am I missing something in the process ?

also, How should the FH1500 output configuration menu should be configured (on the android application) please ?

Thank you very much for your continuous help.

Best wishes,

Maor.

You can connect your Axe L/R output to the FH1500 monitor input, and set gain pot to zero (middle position). This scheme is already bypassing the effect/modeling chain in the amp, but it's better to create a FH1500 preset with all OFF, so you don't get extra noise produced by blocks running in the preset, despite the fact you are not running through that route.

To do so you can use the Firehawk app, create a preset with all blocks off, and in the amp section you can load a NO AMP model from the "clean" amp list. Save this as "BLANK PRESET" and put it in your Tones, or store it in the Amp. Just remember to load this preset every time you use your AXE.

In alternative, you can connect your AXE L/R to the L/R Returns in the FH1500. In both cases check both units are running at same Line or Instrument level.

• Upvote 1

Hard to tell from the picture, as this is just the output section.

BTW, I just uploaded the preset I'm using, to make the FH1500 a FRFR monitor with the minimum amount of extra noise coming from the built-in processor.

You can go to Tone Cloud, using your app, and search for "Blank FRFR". You'll find my preset. Just save it either on your local tones or in your FH1500, better if in a empty preset. With this one you'll be setting your amp as it should to be used just as Monitor. Just be sure to load this every time you turn on the amp and want to use it as FRFR.

As for the levels you are using, unless you don't need to mix different sources, you could keep your guitar input at 70/100% and then just use the Overall to control the final output. 50% is a bit weak and could force you to use high overall volumes, introducing extra hiss because of the Signal To Noise floor. Ok for the wide stereo if you like. Speaker Mode set to WALL is good if you really have the amp close to a wall, but in general would be better to keep a bit of air around, and set it just as FLOOR.

Let me know if this helps. :)

• Upvote 1

Using just the Monitor Inputs in this way will only use the Left/Right Coaxial speakers in the amp to produce a stereo output (and the main 12" speaker will be used as a sub), which is ok, but...

If you also connect another output from the Axe/FX (which I believe can be done) and connect this to the guitar input on the firehawk, this will go to the centre channel (which uses the main 12" speaker and the horn) .. so you'll get true wet-dry-wet output rather than just stereo, with your main guitar sound coming from the main speaker and stereo effects from the left/right speakers.

You would need to setup something in your patch on the AXE/FX to send an appropriate output in the signal chain to the "main" output to do this, and just output from stereo effects to the left/right outputs.

I don't have an AXE/FX, so I can't advise how to create a suitable patch, but I know It can be done and I have read posts from others on here that have done this...

Hope this helps

Rich

• Upvote 1

Wish they'd give us an update to match the New Helix Update from today!! A firmware update that does a WDW setting for the FH 1500 with the Monitor ins would be great. Issues resolved with the phasing etc. resolved would be amazing!!!

Wish they'd give us an update to match the New Helix Update from today!! A firmware update that does a WDW setting for the FH 1500 with the Monitor ins would be great. Issues resolved with the phasing etc. resolved would be amazing!!!

A W/D/W does require 3 paths, so it's impossible to make it working with a L/R Stereo pair.

All I'd need is a better DSP crossover programming, to better assign frequencies to the different speakers when using the Monitor IN, and some fix for the digital hiss. But imho the size ratio between the center speakers and the two coaxial it's too big, so it's really hard to balance the output without overflooding the stereo drivers, or without compressing the entire scheme, as it is now. I stopped my wishful thinking on that product, honestly. It's bad engineered, as stereo monitor.

A W/D/W does require 3 paths, so it's impossible to make it working with a L/R Stereo pair.

All I'd need is a better DSP crossover programming, to better assign frequencies to the different speakers when using the Monitor IN, and some fix for the digital hiss. But imho the size ratio between the center speakers and the two coaxial it's too big, so it's really hard to balance the output without overflooding the stereo drivers, or without compressing the entire scheme, as it is now. I stopped my wishful thinking on that product, honestly. It's bad engineered, as stereo monitor.

I wouldn't say it's badly engineered as a stereo monitor - it does a pretty good job when used with just the L/R monitor ins.. but its output power is limited in that configuration for the reasons that you identified.. The Firehawk 1500 is designed primarily for Wet-Dry-Wet output, where the left/right outputs are for stereo effects and the main centre channel for the main guitar output. In this case the stereo drivers don't need to have the same output power of the main speaker(s).

can you elaborate on how exactly to connect the cables in order to achieve WT-DRY-WET configuration with the FH1500 and the AXE FX 2 XL please ?

I am not sure if this will help because I have a kemper , and I do this at times. I owned an axe fx 2 a few years ago and I believe you can do the same thing

I have the XLR's main out , from kemper , going into the monitor ins on the FH1500 there're is a setting that has reverb and delay only.

Then I have my 1/4 out or "send" from the kemper ( have to look at it again, can't remember ) going to the guitar input of the FH1500. I have this set to "Stack only" so it's just the dry portion going thru that signal. And I can adjust the wet effects volume with one knob on the kemper and another for the dry and mix. As mentioned, don't need a lot of signal this way, but I am not gigging so take that into consideration.

I am pretty sure you can set up the axe fx similar , at minimum you can utilize the send routing . If you go to the fractal forums, you will probably get an answer within minutes.

But have not been doing the WDW lately, I have really been using it as an frfr cab with my 1/4 inch out from the kemper or the helix , and going directly to the input of the FH1500 and it sounds great. Of course I am not using it to its full capacity , but sometimes I just want to plug straight in and just go .