Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HELP: Power cut while updating to 2.20, now it doesn't work

rccampeon

Ok, here we go. I was updating to 2.20 and right in the middle of it there was a power cut in my house (it was a quick one, but enough for the PC to get restarted in the middle of the update). Update obviously failed, now when I turn on the Helix (floor), all the LCD screens are blank, nothing happens, and tried to start the update again but it fails, it says that an error occurred. Tried to start the Helix with F6 and F12 pressed which should boot in Safe Mode, but nothing happends the update keeps failing, all the LCDs are in blank...arrrrrrrrrrrrrggggghhh!!! I'm so pissed, just when I decided to update the helix the power cut happends......any help is appreciated.

More info, when I turn the Helix On, the Line 6 Updater says the unit has already firmware 2.20 installed....just in case somebody already went through this nightmare and can share a workaround....I'm going nuts...

Thanks

post-2479546-0-40674100-1490909563_thumb.jpg

Wow that is terrible.

Maybe try a reset

1. Turn off Helix.
  2. While holding footswitches 9 and 10 (middle two switches on the bottom row), turn on Helix. Wait for the message “Will reset Globals and restore stock Presets, Setlists and IRs…†to appear and let go.
  • Upvote 1

Just a thought - if the Line 6 updater is recognising Helix correctly but won't let you retry installing 2.2 could you perhaps reinstall the earlier version then retry with 2.20?

The power failure during update hasn't happened to me yet, luckily, but I felt nervous about it this evening as there were glitches in the power last night.

• Upvote 1

I'd also try to roll back to a previous firmware. I've seen people solving that way.

In general; I would invest 40 or 50 bucks in a 300Watt UPS (APC or similar). You'll get a stabilized and filtered line, voltage stabilization, power protection and spike leveling, plus a good battery backup which give you a good 20/30 minutes of energy to (hopefully) conclude the process.

Not sure what would happen if Helix stay awake but you drop the internet connection. Probably nothing, as the Helix start updating once the update has been cached.

• Upvote 1

I did manage to reinstall the previous firmware version I had installed (2.11), but then tried again to install 2.20, it failed again and now I'm again where I was, can't make it work now....

That's bad luck. A power failure hitting you twice like that is just cruel. Third time lucky?

• Upvote 1

After being able to reinstall 2.11 and then tried to update again to 2.20 and failing again, now all I get in the big LCD screen is weird symbols, not even the Helix logo shows OK, all weird symbols...

BTW, I did try a factory reset, tried 9 &10, tried 6 & 12, tried 5 & 6....

Somehow I managed to get firmware 2.12 installed and now it is working....I think I had enough for today, my Helix doesn't seem to like 2.20 version, after today I think I'll wait for a few weeks before trying again to update. Thank you all for the suggestions and support.

Somehow I managed to get firmware 2.12 installed and now it is working....I think I had enough for today, my Helix doesn't seem to like 2.20 version, after today I think I'll wait for a few weeks before trying again to update. Thank you all for the suggestions and support.

I'm glad you got Helix working again, at least. I updated to 2.20 just a couple of hours ago and had no problems whatsoever. The Line 6 updater software did need updating first, though. I wonder if that has anything to do with what's happening at your end. Anyway, good luck. I hope you manage to make it work next time.

• Upvote 1

Sorry to hear about your problems, rccampeon. I always worry about exactly what you experienced. It's good to know that even in the event of a power failure, Helix can be revived. Hopefully a future attempt at 2.20 goes smoothly for you.

• Upvote 1

Now that you have 2.12 successfully reloaded, 2.20 installation should be just fine. 

There is a lot of hardware out there (non musical equipment) that is truly "bricked" if a firmware update is interrupted. I have personally thrown a $9000 piece of equipment in the trash because this happened. 

I am so happy for Helix being able to recover from such a scenario. 

• Upvote 1

Don't rush to get updates, bc plenty will, and you can learn a lot by their experiences.

I did....but it failed...Tried 3 more times, and it keeps failing....I'll stay with version 2.12 for now

I can understand waiting to install updates for possible performance reasons (bugs). But there's no general reason for the installation itself to fail if you follow the instructions other than purely technical issues with your computer environment. Other's experiences won't help in this regard.

To rccampeon: you might as well get the update issue resolved now. Your problem won't suddenly disappear. Start at the beginning again. Download and install the Helix editor (not firmware) package v 2.20, which includes the editor, driver and Line 6 Updater program. Follow the instructions carefully. Let us know exactly where/how it fails and we'll help.