Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Synth

fiveways

i wanted to thank you guys from this.  this is the lollipoping coolest thing ever included in a modeller/multi-fx.  i don't even need a guitar anymore.  Just the internal synth and a few pedals.

holy lollipop do you guys ever need to add a moog style filter.  that would set this over the edge (currently i am just running a moog LPF in the fx loop after the synth, but having it all done in the box would be great0

So yeah, my weird lollipop drone ambient side thanks you because i can now play entire shows with just the helix, a couple pedals, and 2 xlr cables.

Anybody interested in really integrating synth tones into their guitar tones owe it to themselves to check out the recently finalized Midi Guitar 2...

WWW.JAMORIGIN.COM

Are you using this Brad? Do I gather it's working well for you?

I got involved briefly back when they were looking for early testers, and it was very much not soup. I bowed out, didn't have the time to deal with it in that state.

Are you using this Brad? Do I gather it's working well for you?

I got involved briefly back when they were looking for early testers, and it was very much not soup. I bowed out, didn't have the time to deal with it in that state.

yeah, Ive had it for a couple years, more time in beta than not, but this recent final 2.0 release is a very refined app.  Tracks as well as any solution Ive tried,  and also serves as a great non-DAW host for any VST or Au synth or FX , I find it easier to use in standalone than within the DAW but either works.  only disadvantages compared to , say , Tripleplay,  you cannot assign MIDI instruments to Individual strings, and the pitchbends are mono only, but I find it versatile and fun.

not updating just yet and wondering what this is..? so it's not triggered by guitar, can you plug in a midi keyboard or it's all just droney and screen driven.?

you can assign note value to the switches and set them to momentary.  instant bass synth.  so my presets currently have 2-4 notes programmed i just trigger with my feet like a moog taurus.

haven't tried it with a keyboard yet as i don't want more lollipop cluttering my side of the stage.

i wanted to thank you guys from this.  this is the lollipop coolest thing ever included in a modeller/multi-fx.  i don't even need a guitar anymore.  Just the internal synth and a few pedals.

holy lollipop do you guys ever need to add a moog style filter.

IIRC, a Moog-esque ladder filter has been somewhere in our gargantuan backlog since the beginning.

• Upvote 3

How to use them? They are continuously sounding the same.. 

Assign the notes (or frequencies) to snapshot controllers, and play a different drone chord per snapshot... Run the 3 Note Generator into the 3 OSC Synth block into a delay, and you can create some very cool sounding pads. Really, there's all sorts of create stuff to be done.

• Upvote 1

Thank you Phill!!

Assign the notes (or frequencies) to snapshot controllers, and play a different drone chord per snapshot... Run the 3 Note Generator into the 3 OSC Synth block into a delay, and you can create some very cool sounding pads. Really, there's all sorts of create stuff to be done.

you can assign note value to the switches and set them to momentary.  instant bass synth.  so my presets currently have 2-4 notes programmed i just trigger with my feet like a moog taurus.

haven't tried it with a keyboard yet as i don't want more lollipop cluttering my side of the stage.

How does one do this? I saw something mentioned about snapshots earlier, but I would love to do this without involving snapshots. In one of our songs, I have been using a looper to record some swelling chords so that I can play over them, but if I could just set up an auto swell on a synth and trigger it with my feet, I could completely eliminate that hassle.

Don't know if someone else posted this already but I just noticed that there is a new template at 32D , titled "Snapshot 2: No!", buried as the last template in the Templates setlist. It is a quick and easy template to play with the new "3 Note Generator" in the 2.20 firmware. No guitar required. Just set it to the snapshot named "Don't".  

Btw, be sure to take note of the expression pedal scribble strip in this template which has been renamed "DEMON SQUIRRELS".  Not sure what it does but it is certainly named and ready for some demented synthesis.  :)

Just an FYI:

I recently got a Electro-Harmonix Synth 9 pedal, and added a send/return block to the front of one of my clean Helix patches. LOVE IT!

Now I can switch from Lead guitar to Lead synthesizer on the fly. This is crazy fun with my BeatBuddy on a metal drum setting.

(Running Helix version 2:20)

What, if any, effect would I want to use to try to re-create the siren at the opening of REO's "Ridin' The Storm Out" live version? Sounds like one of the synth effects would be good for this. I think they used a Moog in concert. I looked at the 3OSC effect, but not sure which controls/parameters would give me that same effect.

On a side note - using a 'Pump Organ' preset I found on CustomTone for J Geil's "Centerfold" intro - it rocks.

What, if any, effect would I want to use to try to re-create the siren at the opening of REO's "Ridin' The Storm Out" live version? Sounds like one of the synth effects would be good for this. I think they used a Moog in concert. I looked at the 3OSC effect, but not sure which controls/parameters would give me that same effect. On a side note - using a 'Pump Organ' preset I found on CustomTone for J Geil's "Centerfold" intro - it rocks.

The 3OSC effect is an oscillator generator, as is the 4OSC effect. They are not synths in and of themselves. I doubt you will be able to achieve that exact sound, but you may be able to use it in conjunction with some other effects to get close. I suggest you do some digging on oscillators (and their uses in synths) to get some ideas. I took an entire semester dedicated to synthesis and I still can't figure it out.

What, if any, effect would I want to use to try to re-create the siren at the opening of REO's "Ridin' The Storm Out" live version? Sounds like one of the synth effects would be good for this. I think they used a Moog in concert. I looked at the 3OSC effect, but not sure which controls/parameters would give me that same effect. On a side note - using a 'Pump Organ' preset I found on CustomTone for J Geil's "Centerfold" intro - it rocks.

Check it out. Sounds awesome. arround 2:50. It is not the same, but sounds cool. Guy is also awesome.

Ah, the "glissando guitar" technique, one of my favourites.

Here's a quote from an old (2010) "Guitar Player" interview with Steve Hillage, a premier exponent of gliss.

How do you create your classic glissando sound today?

Glissando involves stroking the strings with a metal rod. It’s different from using a bottleneck in that you put the metal rod on the strings and stroke the strings right there on the neck. It interacts with the harmonics of the guitar to produce a unique unearthly and angelic sound. Daevid Allen of Gong developed it after seeing Syd Barrett from Pink Floyd doing it with a Zippo lighter. In terms of effects, I use the Zoom 9050 with a modest amount of distortion, a lot of compression, subtle chorus, amp modeling, and a lot of delay set to around 300 milliseconds.

Here's Steve explaining the effect.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_mwQdAQqd8k

Also check out the Glissando Guitar Orchestra

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2jHqds3IqlY

• Upvote 1

Anybody interested in really integrating synth tones into their guitar tones owe it to themselves to check out the recently finalized Midi Guitar 2...

WWW.JAMORIGIN.COM

Thanks for this - I hadn't heard of this and had completely given up on guitar to MIDI after a VG-99 failed to deliver satisfactory stability. This ACTUALLY WORKS! 

I have bought it after trying the eval for a few hours as I reckon for the money it is well worth it. A few things that need sorting with it such as not saving important defaults in the stand alone version and I am a little screwed using an E string tuned to C as it only goes as low as Drop D. So hows this relevant here? Well it finally for me gets the benefits of the available signal routing in Helix to deliver a clean signal via USB to MIDI Guitar 2 and also a switch (Volume pedal block tied to a bypass switch) to turn external synth on and off. Until now I had used Helix in the simplest Guitar in to Stereo Out and adding this no-brainer functionality was neat.

I would  urge anybody that still hankers after MIDI guitar to go take a look at  Jam Origin's product - major improvement on any previous efforts that were expensive and largely unsuccessful.

Thanks again for the tip. 

Thanks for this - I hadn't heard of this and had completely given up on guitar to MIDI after a VG-99 failed to deliver satisfactory stability. This ACTUALLY WORKS! 

I have bought it after trying the eval for a few hours as I reckon for the money it is well worth it. A few things that need sorting with it such as not saving important defaults in the stand alone version and I am a little screwed using an E string tuned to C as it only goes as low as Drop D. So hows this relevant here? Well it finally for me gets the benefits of the available signal routing in Helix to deliver a clean signal via USB to MIDI Guitar 2 and also a switch (Volume pedal block tied to a bypass switch) to turn external synth on and off. Until now I had used Helix in the simplest Guitar in to Stereo Out and adding this no-brainer functionality was neat.

I would  urge anybody that still hankers after MIDI guitar to go take a look at  Jam Origin's product - major improvement on any previous efforts that were expensive and largely unsuccessful.

Thanks again for the tip.

My pleasure..once you get over the minor glitches and learn how to route it properly, it is very usable indeed, and hope that it catches on so they will continue development!

We have synth / oscillators / tone generators. The Helix has midi in.

What are the chances that we get a version of the synth models that can be set up to listen to midi in for notes? It seems like the next logical step.

As is, the synths are cool to play with, but very burdensome both to set up in a patch and to use in a live setting. Allow it to be played via a midi keyboard and HOLY CRAP.

If there's already a way to do this, then I totally missed it and you may mock me thoroughly and without mercy.