Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

variax 600 reliability, serviceability

I'll be trying out a used V600 from gc, supposedly in "excellent" condition, and so i'm trying to gather as much info as i can before it gets here, to help me make a decision about whether to keep it -- i think i already know i'll like the sounds, probably the feel, but i'm a bit concerned about the technology -- i'm used to working on my guitars, certainly as far as pickups, wiring,i'm concerned that when i search "problems" on the forum, seems most are addressed by "take it to an authorized repair shop" -- i guess these are not guitars that i can maintain/repair myself? -- i admit i'm someone who is used to doing my own computer repair, etc., and have never taken anything to a "authorized" repair place -- i certainly don't have anyone mess with my guitars, including refretting, and building my own -- i'm not saying i would dismiss owning a variax because of this, but i'd just like to know what i may be getting into -- also, maybe i'd be better off with one of the current models, like the standard, rather than a legacy model, as i wonder about the availability of parts for the 600?  I mean, my 71 hagstrom will still be doing its thing long after i'm gone, or if necessary, a quick fix will get it back in action -- but my 99 thinkpad, once "cutting edge", is almost worthless, due to inherent limitations to its design, which make it incompatible with most types of interface -- i wouldn't want to be in the same place if i keep the 600

a used guitar is usually a good idea, and depending on the market, can even be an investment -- with some occasional fretwork, can go on about forever -- but maybe this is not the case for a variax? -- and maybe, as a much more advanced piece of technology, it presents many more potential problems, which can only be fixed by an "authorized repair facility", and only if the parts are available?

thanks for any input.

thanks for that information -- it seems that on the Full Compass site, looking at the older, legacy parts, i see a lot of 300, 500, and 700 parts, very little 600 -- there are a lot of used V300s for sale, and even some V700s, maybe i'd be better off with one of those?

thanks for that information -- it seems that on the Full Compass site, looking at the older, legacy parts, i see a lot of 300, 500, and 700 parts, very little 600 -- there are a lot of used V300s for sale, and even some V700s, maybe i'd be better off with one of those?

For sure - same electrics, interchangable with 600, and cheaper 2nd hand as it has no tremolo. I have one of each, transplanted into Strat copies. Win/win!!!

thanks again -- i just missed a V700 yesterday, for unreal 249 usd, but i already had the 600 coming -- anyone know what the lightest legacy variax is?(i have back problems) -- or maybe a standard, if it is light

with guitar center i get to try out the 600, to have the variax "experience", then return it if i decide on a different model, i just take it in to the local store, pay $20  -- its worth it to spend a couple weeks trying out the different sounds, but i'm not committed to keeping the 600, unless i feel its the best variax for me -- and that will primarily have to do with the feel, including the weight, and the availability of parts

My China made V600 is a very nice and well made instrument. Got a JTV59 too and like it also but it is very heavy and the neck feels like a baseball bat. For your back I would suggest something like this strap https://www.thomann.de/de/gibson_gitarrengurt_mit_logo.htm

Very comfortable! But of cause a Gibson branded strap on a Fender stlyle guitar may disturb you ;)