Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is there a manual for 2.20?

Bangha

No, there is not.

I do also think would be the time for a manual update, considered the huge amount of changes.

Same boat as you with OSC stuff. Would really like to see some proper advice about that stuff which I never used before. I hate to feel a noob!!  :lol:  :lol:

It's been the stated policy from Line 6 that they only republish the manual on major updates.  For example, they updated the manual when FW 2.0 was issued.  Generally that's when major functional features have been added such as was the case in 2.0 with the introduction of Snapshots.

I'm generally okay with that although it would be nice if they split out a couple of sections like amps and effects that they updated with minor additions and changes such as this one.  But honestly, how much information do they actually provide in the manual regarding how to operate the amps and effects anyway?  Generally we've all been on our own to experiment and figure those things out.

I'm fine with that but still; I've stuff in the Helix that I don't know how to use properly (the synths), and judging by what I see over here, I'm not alone.

Also, should not be mandatory for a musician to come over here and spend hours of his time to search for information. That's why someone invented the operational manuals.

I think there's a judgement call that needs to be made concerning what to include in an operations manual, especially when it comes to the detailed parameters of amps/FX and their use. I think any operations manual for a modeling device needs to focus on the unique aspects of the specific modeling device (e.g. Routing, inputs, outputs, preset construction, etc...) and not get into the specifics of the devices being modelled other than to identify them.

To elaborate, each type of FX being modelled has its own set of parameters whose meanings are not Line 6 specific. They are generally understood within the context of the FX type. Any reverb device has parameters for things like decay time, predelay, etc. Delay FX have time, feedback, sometimes mod, and other parameters. Chorus nad other mod FX use concepts like rate, depth, sometimes waveform, etc. These are industry standard concepts and, while their usage may differ slightly among different devices I don't think it is Line 6's job to document all of this.

So I think Line 6 documents can seem to be lacking when it comes to the use of their modelled FX, but trying to include all these details would be both intimidating and redundant. Users need to consult the manufacturer's documentation of the devices being modelled to get this. And one of our generous users has produced a vary handy website to help with this. See helixhelp.com

And there will always be disagreement about where to draw that line..........

I think there's a judgement call that needs to be made concerning what to include in an operations manual, especially when it comes to the detailed parameters of amps/FX and their use. I think any operations manual for a modeling device needs to focus on the unique aspects of the specific modeling device (e.g. Routing, inputs, outputs, preset construction, etc...) and not get into the specifics of the devices being modelled other than to identify them.

To elaborate, each type of FX being modelled has its own set of parameters whose meanings are not Line 6 specific. They are generally understood within the context of the FX type. Any reverb device has parameters for things like decay time, predelay, etc. Delay FX have time, feedback, sometimes mod, and other parameters. Chorus nad other mod FX use concepts like rate, depth, sometimes waveform, etc. These are industry standard concepts and, while their usage may differ slightly among different devices I don't think it is Line 6's job to document all of this.

So I think Line 6 documents can seem to be lacking when it comes to the use of their modelled FX, but trying to include all these details would be both intimidating and redundant. Users need to consult the manufacturer's documentation of the devices being modelled to get this. And one of our generous users has produced a vary handy website to help with this. See helixhelp.com

And there will always be disagreement about where to draw that line..........

And this is why we have Google....to search for those terms....  ;)

Aside from the excellent effort presenting Helix information on HelixHelp.com, Line 6's Release Notes (accompanying each of the several firmware releases: 2.01, 2.10, 2.11, 2.12 and 2.20) following the July release of Helix 2.0 User Guide (Rev D) PDF comprise the only official contents to be found. The problem is that shortly after each is succeded by a newer release, the predecessor Release Notes on these Helix Support Forums of Line 6's website are removed from the accumulating thread: Latest Helix Firmware, thus making it quite frustrating to find them once again. 

If you have the time and inclination, following the threads here and on TheGearPage.net are most informative, and contain replies from Line 6 guys, beta testers, highly experienced users, as well as refreshing posts from new users with fresh eyes.

When firmware 3.0 arrives that's when Line 6 will present a new Helix 3.0 User Manual PDF. Until then, about the best we can ask for is for Line 6 to at least enable the Search Requests: "Helix Release Notes" and "Release Notes Helix" on the Line 6 site, resolve to the earlier Release Notes.

[Addendum: The Downloads area of the Line 6, when the first two dropdowns are set to Helix and your particular OS in the third dropdown, the Release Notes are found. However, even the current fw 2.20 Release Notes show a slightly different draft that merely states: Support for 22 new 2.20 models without listing the 22 new amps and FX models. It would be great if the info accumulated in (at least) one place without deletions, sections removed, etc. Bold content above was also added.]

.... The problem is that shortly after each is succeded by a newer release, the predecessor Release Notes on Line 6's website are removed from the original thread, thus making it quite frustrating to find them once again.

..... Until then, about the best we can ask for is for Line 6 to at least enable the Search Requests: "Helix Release Notes" and "Release Notes Helix" on the Line 6 site, resolve to the earlier Release Notes.

I hadn't noticed that the earlier release notes are deleted from the announcement thread as new updates are released. Your suggestion for easier searching is a good one.

Meantime, all release notes continue to be available in the Downloads area. The history of releases in that area of the website continue to show the earlier release notes.

Given that so few people read the update instructions, is it any wonder we don't bother writing novels about every parameter in every model?  ;)

As far as the new Generators go, there's not much to it. You press BYPASS to turn them on and turn knobs until it makes a cool sound. If you know basic music and chord theory, you can create organ or bass lines to play with your feet while playing guitar with your hands.

Start with the new preset 8 TEMPLATES > 05C Real Bass Pedals. It helps if Global Settings > Footswitches > Stomp Mode Switches is set to 10 Switches, so you can access the low C note. Each block is capable of playing three notes but this preset turned down notes/oscillators 2 and 3. Switching snapshots changes the waveform for all blocks; if you want a low sub bass, select Snapshot 4 for sine waves.