Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hooray - Helix 2.20

suedehead99

Yup, I owned (past tense) a Helix and sold it on. Amazing unit, but with reports of scribble strip pixels dying and displays of that quality just having a shorter life length than your simple LCD (and I guess the amount of freeze ups I experienced requiring a reboot) it just wasn't something I was hugely confident in. I still wanted native Variax VDI input and a floorboard with a bank up and down (Amplifi doesnt) so when Firehawk went to $350 I jumped. Really happy with the purchase and a great unit. I will concede though, it's about time they threw a damn update out there even to add a few extra stomps or cabs etc. Just saying.

Yup, I owned (past tense) a Helix and sold it on. Amazing unit, but with reports of scribble strip pixels dying and displays of that quality just having a shorter life length than your simple LCD (and I guess the amount of freeze ups I experienced requiring a reboot) it just wasn't something I was hugely confident in. I still wanted native Variax VDI input and a floorboard with a bank up and down (Amplifi doesnt) so when Firehawk went to $350 I jumped. Really happy with the purchase and a great unit. I will concede though, it's about time they threw a damn update out there even to add a few extra stomps or cabs etc. Just saying.

How much sound wise are you finding the FH to the Helix you had,Is it a big step down?

I keep gassing for a Helix/LT coming from owning a Firehawk,just the amount of money gives me the shivers.

I won't lie, I bought the Helix for the functionality not primarily the sound quality. I know that sounds odd but I've never really been hung up on being too damn wrapped up in tone, I mean to the extent that digital effects units differ. SRV primarily used an amp and a tube screamer and look what he did. I have also never ever listened to a recording or watched someone live (over the past 30 years) and liked or disliked a song or player based on the equipment they were or were not using. So to me, the sounds you get from building a good patch on a Firehawk absolutely and completely suffice. I never was really at ease with the Helix, it's all but a computer inside a guitar floorboard chassis, amazing power but after years of having devices with minimal technology in them (analog pedals etc) just be workhorses without flaw I favored that. Yes, FH is a digital system, but at $350 I am not utterly worried if the thing starts to exhibit wear and tear.

• Upvote 1