Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Firmware (march 2017) : looper midi quantize ?

stepgimb

• 4 months later...

I switched from an HD500X to the Helix and I was expecting a better looper, how disappointing. Loopers seem cool and magical effects on youtube demos; in reality they are virtually useless for a band without a metronome, and it's impossible to manually sync a looper to a click. I´ve only come across three loopers with MIDI quantization so far: Pigtronix Infinity, TC Ditto X4 and EHX 45000; they are all apparently prone to syncing issues, clock glitches and firmware freezing. Also, way too expensive and overly bloated with features. I think what you and I want is simple rec start/stop quantized to a clock coming through a MIDI-in, nothing else.

IIRC, Boss RC-300 also does quantise with MIDI sync.

yes, but Boss loopers with MIDI are too big and too heavy. I also read about the Boomerang III Phrase Sampler but it's discontinued and out of stock everywhere, similarly to EHX 2880 —though that one was replaced by the 45000. Again, too much, it's a multitrack mixer/sampler/looper. I guess that's our only recourse until line6 updates the Helix looper to quantize to MIDI clock. no multi tracking, no advanced stereo sampling, no time-warping, only MIDI clock quantize ...and maybe a metronome assignable to any of the 8 outputs.

I agree with you that the helix looper block, as it is right now, is nothing more than a gimmick! Unusable as a serious looper functionality ;-)

We don't have to use it of course, as it's just a function block, but even so.., I guess it is not up to the professional standards of this machine nor that of it's buyers.

Tmho, line 6 should better, OR improve it, OR toss it. I don't really need gimmicks on this nice machine, just quality fx's and features!

We don't have to use it of course, as it's just a function block, but even so.., I guess it is not up to the professional standards of this machine nor that of it's buyers.

Couldn't agree more. A Looper is an aid for bedroom practice, but nothing short of a gimmick for live use without click and tempo sync —and Helix is about performance and pro use. there's an Ideascale campaign for this, I'm heading there to vote right now            Vote On Idea        (Idea No. 2354)