Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

connecting POD HD500x to Mac

mikefilmguy

Hello all

New to forum, line 6 and pod. Old hat at computers for audio and video

Trying to connect POD HD500x to Mac Mini running 10.10.5. the mac can see the POD HD500x in the system diagnostics, so I know it is connected via USB. However, I have had no luck in launching Monkey. I do the control click on it (so that I can have the mac open it even though it does not come from an approved software vendor) and just do it regular. Either way, I get no response - it never opens.

I can get the line 6 license manager to run.

I've tried restarting.

I'm contacting others and doing research about this issue, but I figured the forum is often where the best/fastest info comes from, so I am starting here.

thanks

Michael O

Thanks for your response and that suggestion. I donwloaded it and launched it and it indicated that it could not be installed because I needed to be running 10.5 or higher. I am running 10.10, so I am not sure what is going on.

Michael O

So far:

I downloaded line 6 updater - it ran, and I could sign in but it did not show any devices

I downloaded POD HD500x edit - could not install - I am running 10.10 and it indicated (oddly) that I needed 10,5 and above which I have so not sure why that is not working

I downloaded line 6 license manager - it ran, and I was able to enter my info, but it doesn't seem to do anything

I downloaded line 6 monkey - it bounces in the dock like it is going to open but never does (it bounces for a long time too - 30 sec -much longer than any other app that opens or doesn't)

I've switched out USB cables - it is always recognized by the Mac in the system set up.

Anyone? 

Thanks

Sounds like Mac isn't letting Monkey start up - usually anything to with installing/updating you would do through Monkey. Maybe Google Mac restricting applications from starting up, and take it from there... I have HD500 Edit on both PC and Mac.

Please try all possible USB-ports on your iMac because only the primary will work

It is necessary that you have a Line6 account and you are logged in into the monkey.

If you download HD edit manually be sure to get the latest version.

If you are not able to install the Monkey everything else won't work, too.

Does the Mac Mini officially run the OS-X 10.10 or is there a hack applied?

I would suggest to install the latest JAVA version possible.

• Downvote 1

thanks all for your suggestions - looks like Monkey behaves similarly with others running Yosemite as per this thread:

http://line6.com/support/topic/9239-cant-update-line-6-monkey-on-mac-osx-yosemite/

I've been putting off updating the OS for a while now since I am in the middle of a big project, but it looks like I might have to if I want to get this to work.

best - Michael

I can run Line 6 Monkey 1.74 on Sierra 10.12.3 even when POD HD is not attached;

when none is auto-detected, Monkey then asks to select the Line 6 device.

That symptom:

"running 10.10 and it indicated (oddly) that I needed 10,5 and above"

sounds suspiciously similar to

one of the problems when trying to run older Variax Workbench 1.75,

for which part of the solution is installing Java 6 runtime that is available from https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572

I installed JDK 1.6 before installing any Line 6 software, which may be why I encountered no issues..

• Upvote 1

looks like I am going to have to update to Sierra.

Nice to know that monkey works there!

My Mac was running Sierra before getting Line 6 stuff; I doubt Sierra helps Line 6 software and first would try installing JDK 1.6 on your current setup.

For one thing, that might help others if it proves to be a quick fix..

• 1 year later...

I'm having the same issue. I have IOS 10.13.4 and cannot get monkey to download. I get an error message stating that I have to have 10.5 or higher. I got the updater to load, but even with a new USB cord, my HD500X isn't being recognized by the MacBook Pro. Cant get any further.
Suggestions??

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2019 at 1:56 PM, rodrigoea said:

Sad, I've tried everything but it still not connecting. I'm using Mac os 10.14 - Mojave.

When I try to open Line 6 Monkey to connect my device, it recognizes the gear, but when I try to open Pod HD500x Edit, it doesn't connect.

You could try the trick described here, using SDK Man to make a Java 6 JRE visible on Mojave:

http://richsitblog.com/index.php/2018/10/01/use-java-6u65-apple-with-skdman-on-mojave-high-sierra-sierra-el-capitan/

It is probably no accident that the newest version available does not specify Mojave. 

POD HD500X Edit
Version 2.26
Released 4/9/15

... and may be no mere coincidence that Line 6 "dream rig" is replacing HD500X with Helix.

Another trick:  install latest Line 6 drivers directly,

rather than using Monkey.  Even on High Sierra,

I never saw macOS security warnings that needed override

when using Monkey.

According to a Mar 5, 2019 Apple employee post:

"It may or may not help but the latest - last version of Java 6 provided by Apple

is available here - https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572?locale=en_GB

it does not mention any support for Mojave but I believe it will work.

It is certain that it will not work for whatever version of macOS will come after Mojave

and is due to be released this autumn."

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250209038

I don't have Mojave to verify the SDK Man trick;  my MacBook is not Mojave-compatible,

and Line 6 VariaxWorkbench quit working after Sierra - macOS 10.12.

I am building an USB SSD bootable Sierra to use offline for Line 6 software,

rather than continuing to struggle with Apple's relentless backward compatibility breakage.

One might imagine that a company with Apple's resources could provide better support,

but it appears their main concern for macOS upgrades is providing iOS developers with a platform relatively robust against malware.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally found a solution -- I CAN'T BELIEVE!!!!!!!!

I had to disable the Gatekeeper. http://osxdaily.com/2016/09/27/allow-apps-from-anywhere-macos-gatekeeper/

Here are the instructions on how to do it. After some research and many failed tries, I succeeded after I did these steps:

- Open Terminal from Applications > Utilities > Terminal

- Run the following command: 

sudo spctl --master-disable

It may ask for your user password.

- Open Security & Privacy panel and you will be able to see this new option Anywhere. Enable it! (unlock the padlock will be needed to make this change). 

image.png.ab5e80c717c1476caea09d7322c08bad.png

- Now, If you had previously installed the Line6 driver, it must be uninstalled.

- Install the driver again -- I've installed directly from the driver file, without using Line 6 Monkey, don't know if it will work.

- When prompt, restart your computer. Open up the Security & Privacy panel again and *crossed fingers* you'll be able to see this message:

image.thumb.png.cf6fdd6545b09ec37e59431127ec4e90.png

- Click Allow and that's it :)

After those steps I could open POD HD500x Edit and BOOM, it's connected

I hope this works for those who are having the same problem!

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/1/2017 at 4:44 PM, mikefilmguy said:

So far:

I downloaded line 6 updater - it ran, and I could sign in but it did not show any devices

I downloaded POD HD500x edit - could not install - I am running 10.10 and it indicated (oddly) that I needed 10,5 and above which I have so not sure why that is not working

I downloaded line 6 license manager - it ran, and I was able to enter my info, but it doesn't seem to do anything

I downloaded line 6 monkey - it bounces in the dock like it is going to open but never does (it bounces for a long time too - 30 sec -much longer than any other app that opens or doesn't)

I've switched out USB cables - it is always recognized by the Mac in the system set up.

Anyone? 

Thanks