Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

3 band comp and Badonk

steevo1977

As much as I kind of grimaced when I saw Big Bottom was coming to Helix I have to say that its great played for a couple of hours just on that one model. The 3 band compressor is excellent too; it tightens things up nicely.

Having Workbench HD connectivity finally via Helix is brilliant (it appears you can't run it in tandem with Edit at this point - one app will disconnect the other)

Need to spend some time with the other new stuff...

A+ for this firmware Line 6

• Upvote 1

Hey I haven't upgraded to the new FW yet, holding off a bit longer, but I was wondering does that 3 ban compressor have a stereo separation parameter for each band?

Sorry for the late reply. No it doesn't although I'm sure you could make it happen (depending on the application you have in mind) using a bit of routing trickery. Each band has a separate level so in theory you should be able to isolate each band and route it how you please using mutiple blocks.

Cheers

S

• Upvote 1

Sorry for the late reply. No it doesn't although I'm sure you could make it happen (depending on the application you have in mind) using a bit of routing trickery. Each band has a separate level so in theory you should be able to isolate each band and route it how you please using mutiple blocks.

Cheers

S

Unfortunately not, I know of no stereo separation parameter, or FX in the Helix. Which is why I was hoping they would have it in this 3 band Comp.  Though hopefully they will upgrade this multi-band comp in a future update with stereo separation/merge  for each band.   They already added a parameter to one of the FX's in the helix, but I can't remember specifically which one, maybe one of the delays...

No worries on the late reply, I appreciate the response.

multibands are useful on a full mix sometimes.. it might be ok to tighten a guitar sound but i think it would be much more useful if it had a bit of visual metering.. i mean you'd rarely ever have hardware or plug in comps that have no metering display. It would be nice to have gain reduction meter on all the comps

Having Workbench HD connectivity finally via Helix is brilliant (it appears you can't run it in tandem with Edit at this point - one app will disconnect the other)

I'm able to run them simultaneously. I don't know if you're supposed to and I haven't really run it through the ringer. But I have changed models in each program and the other program will follow the changes.

Hey I haven't upgraded to the new FW yet, holding off a bit longer, but I was wondering does that 3 ban compressor have a stereo separation parameter for each band?

So why are you holding off?

Unfortunately not, I know of no stereo separation parameter, or FX in the Helix. Which is why I was hoping they would have it in this 3 band Comp.  Though hopefully they will upgrade this multi-band comp in a future update with stereo separation/merge  for each band.   They already added a parameter to one of the FX's in the helix, but I can't remember specifically which one, maybe one of the delays...

No worries on the late reply, I appreciate the response.

You can split the path using a crossover split. Send some frequencies to one path and pan it one day, send the others to the other path and pan it the other way. That has always been available.

Hmmm... just had a good look at what's new in 2.20 and I may be in the minority here but there's not much that's really compelling to me. I think I'll stick with 2.11 for a while. It's stable and pretty much does everything I need.

I guess I was hoping for other features and that just wasn't in the cards for this update. Oh well.

You can split the path using a crossover split. Send some frequencies to one path and pan it one day, send the others to the other path and pan it the other way. That has always been available.

Interesting, may not be exactly what I want, but it could open up other tonal possibilities. Thanks.

So why are you holding off?

I am in the middle of a project, last song on the album. I wanted to get all the rhythm guitars ReAmped before upgrading FW.  Just incase of any sound change at all, as I really liked a tone I dialed in for Left Rhythm guitar.  In this same project I have some bass guitar that I want to ReAmp as well. I was going to work on that after I upgraded FW, with all the new bass goodies. 

I am still on 2.11.

It was stable (the best so far for me) and I just decided I would wait until 2.20. As I didn't want to chance it unless it brought along with it some goodies. 2.12 didn't, but 2.20 does.  

I was also waiting to see if this FW update brought with it bugs that would hinder me. I figured most of those would have been posted about in the first week, or so of release. I will still probably give it another few days.

I still haven't figured out what to do with the 3 band compressor..i guess I'm too much of a guitar player lol

It's the key to the high gain/compression sounds of the 80's.  I haven't tried it yet, but can't wait.    FWIW...  3 band compression is the first effect in the "Boston" sound and was actually built into the Rockman gear.   Nicest part of the Rockman XP/XPR gear... unfortunately there was no way to bypass it.     but I digress.

Hmmm... just had a good look at what's new in 2.20 and I may be in the minority here but there's not much that's really compelling to me. I think I'll stick with 2.11 for a while. It's stable and pretty much does everything I need.

I guess I was hoping for other features and that just wasn't in the cards for this update. Oh well.

This. It's great to see any updates but since I don't play Bass, a Variax or use MIDI sync there wasn't a whole lot of gain for the pain of updating this time round. Hopefully we'll get some more effects and Amps next time!