Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The "IR Tango" when updating

timmyo

Its worth the extra effort to rename your IR files in the Helix editor by placing a number in front of the IR name. Add a "1" in front of the IR in slot 1, a "2" in front of the IR in slot 2, etc. Then save the IRs to your hard drive, sort them alpha-numerically, and Bob's your uncle the next time you need to reload your IRs into Helix, as they will be in order.

That's what I've done, except that I used a three didgit number for consistency (001, 002, 003...) It certainly works around the issue but the loss of character spaces to the numbering system sucks given that the allowable filename lengths are so short. I have a couple where I had to abbreviate to the point that I can no longer interpret my own shorthand and have to go back to my notes to remember what they are. I too would like to see an update to the update process that would eliminate the need.

That's what I've done, except that I used a three didgit number for consistency (001, 002, 003...) It certainly works around the issue but the loss of character spaces to the numbering system sucks given that the allowable filename lengths are so short. I have a couple where I had to abbreviate to the point that I can no longer interpret my own shorthand and have to go back to my notes to remember what they are. I too would like to see an update to the update process that would eliminate the need.

If you add a title tag to the wav files, when you import them, it will use that, essentially discarding the 001, 002, ...

If you add a title tag to the wav files, when you import them, it will use that, essentially discarding the 001, 002, ...

That's interesting, I'll have to check that out. So you're saying leave the numbering in the filename and use the Title field in the metadata to describe the IR, and Helix will file by filename but display the contents of the Title field? That would sure be sweet, thanks for the tip!

That's interesting, I'll have to check that out. So you're saying leave the numbering in the filename and use the Title field in the metadata to describe the IR, and Helix will file by filename but display the contents of the Title field? That would sure be sweet, thanks for the tip!

Exactly.

They have bundles and set lists for patches. Don't see why they can't do the same for IR's. 

The numbering trick works but I have several gaps in the IR list for different "banks" from different sources so it's not as easy as it should be.

Yea I know we just got a major patch handed to us for free. Well free if you own Helix  ;) ...  Much appreciated. That said, yes we have IR work arounds. That not what we need. What we need is the firmware to recognize where the IR is per slot and then recall it back to that same slot (provided it's in the proper folder for the software to find it) after an upgrade. I'm sure that's not an easy task to do (because it would have already been done if it was) but here's wishing for that someday too.

I take a pic of my screen via Prnt Scrn. Th fastest way to document where you put those things.

I do that too. If you're on windows there's a nice free program called greenshot that helps.

But IR Management is definatley one of the weaknesses of helix.