Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pedalboards are never "done", but I'll call this one ready for practice.

StruckingFuggle

First live practice with Helix tomorrow.  Patches  are in the ballpark.  Snapshots are set up.  This should be interesting.

Currently resisting the temptation to upgrade to 2.20.  Hmm...... My 18 years as a firmware engineer are only making it harder.  It's like Golumn  having a conversation with Smeagol.  

You knows you wants it.

But it might crashes.

We are smart, we can fixes it.

No, we promised we would go to bed.

Cowardly toad, it has the new powers.

Yes but if we breaks it we will be angry.

CA1BFF6B-88CE-4270-980C-B3E213D3B92A_zps

• Upvote 6

You knows you wants it.

But it might crashes.

CA1BFF6B-88CE-4270-980C-B3E213D3B92A_zps

That's hilarious. Anyone who spends a lot of time dealing with software or upgradeable hardware should print this off and keep by their computer.

First live practice with Helix tomorrow.  Patches  are in the ballpark.  Snapshots are set up.  This should be interesting.

Currently resisting the temptation to upgrade to 2.20.  Hmm...... My 18 years as a firmware engineer are only making it harder.  It's like Golumn  having a conversation with Smeagol.  

You knows you wants it.

But it might crashes.

LOL - Awesomely hilarious AND too true!

• Upvote 1

Just wondering why you're keeping your möbius in your setup?

Because I paid $450 for it.  

Lol.  Actually, I love the Mobius.  The effects are top notch.  They're so good, and I'm so comfortable with them, that to recreate them using Helix effects would take time that I currently don't have.

Helix mod effects are great.  With enough time and effort I can probably take the Mobius off the board.   But for now, why not both?  I have an embarrassment of mod effect riches.  :)  Life is grand.  

Cool man, I have and love my möbius and originally purchased my helix as a practice tool / at home rig and was going to keep my big board to use in my band but it just seems complete overkill.

One option would be to put the helix on my pedaltrain pro and use the 4 loops for pedals currently on my big board and seeing your möbius made me interested as to why it's sticking around.

Cool man, I have and love my möbius and originally purchased my helix as a practice tool / at home rig and was going to keep my big board to use in my band but it just seems complete overkill.

One option would be to put the helix on my pedaltrain pro and use the 4 loops for pedals currently on my big board and seeing your möbius made me interested as to why it's sticking around.

I have two rack drawers full of really nice pedals that I used with a loop switch.  I've A/B'd all my distortion/OD pedals with Helix, and found Helix just as good (for what I do).  But I'm having a hard time letting go of that Mobius.  And no disrespect to Helix's delays, but my Timeline may just end up on that board as well.  With the loops and MIDI it's all just so flexible and powerful.  I'm not doing fly gigs, so weight and space constraints don't matter.  If I was traveling, it'd be just Helix and a polytune.  

It's like Golumn  having a conversation with Smeagol.  

You knows you wants it.

But it might crashes.

LOL, that's great! I'm hearing it in my head with Gollum's unique voice!

Honestly, I was scared to do the update myself because the last time I did it, I lost most of my user patches and had to bebuild them from scratch. But I shamed myself into being brave. I had a few boneheaded moments, like where I couldn't find the newly downloaded firmware on my computer, only my old 2:10 version. And other stupid stuff. But after I found 2:20 on the Updater, it went without a hitch; I even successfully loaded my third party IRs back in place (didn't have any the last time I updated).

But while I'm being honest... I personally didn't find 2:20 to be worth the anticipation. None of the new models are anything I'll likely use. The new chorus and compressor are cool, but I was fine with the old ones and I don't find the new ones to be substantially better. Autoswell was disappointing and I still prefer using a volume pedal for that effect. I won't continue to go down the list; it's just a matter of personal taste. And I certainly appreciate that we get these free firmware updates; it's just that this one didn't bowl me over. YMMV. The best thing I got from it is that I'm not afraid of updating anymore! 

I have two rack drawers full of really nice pedals that I used with a loop switch. I've A/B'd all my distortion/OD pedals with Helix, and found Helix just as good (for what I do). But I'm having a hard time letting go of that Mobius. And no disrespect to Helix's delays, but my Timeline may just end up on that board as well. With the loops and MIDI it's all just so flexible and powerful. I'm not doing fly gigs, so weight and space constraints don't matter. If I was traveling, it'd be just Helix and a polytune.

I've got the 3 big strymons, I'll spend a bit of time seeing if I can live without them over the next few weeks. I could keep my pedaltrain pro and squeeze a couple of pedals on there in the loops I suppose but it'd be cool to just take the helix, I could make back the money I spent on the helix by just selling those three!

Because I paid $450 for it.  

Lol.  Actually, I love the Mobius.  The effects are top notch.  They're so good, and I'm so comfortable with them, that to recreate them using Helix effects would take time that I currently don't have.

Helix mod effects are great.  With enough time and effort I can probably take the Mobius off the board.   But for now, why not both?  I have an embarrassment of mod effect riches.   :)  Life is grand.  

Also, if you don't mind dealing with adding loops to your presets, it can really free up DSP and blocks for amps and IR's and other stuffs when needed.

50 years old, been playing since I was 7. Tone snob, tone chaser, tube fanatic. I have a ton of boutique pedals and power supplies and boards I be happy to sell to you. All I need now is my Helix and a simple backup with a DI box to PA for if/when the Helix goes down. I absolutely love my Helix and it's the first modeler that I have truly felt this way about. I can't get enough of it and the more I play it the more it sucks me in.

At my age with 26 surgeries under my belt (recent spinal neck with a titanium plate) I am done hauling massive gear around. it felt good this last weekend to carry my guitar in my mono bag on my back and the lightweight helix in the bag!

• Upvote 2

After a few weeks with Helix, I've decided that I till want some pedals. More choice is a good. The OD choices in Helix are great, but sometimes I just want my Maxon 808 or MXR OD.

So I've added a pedal tier to my board. It makes rapid pedal changes super easy. I can try out new pedals, or swap out whatever my favorite OD is at the moment. Plus it gives some protection to the ins/outs.

I've got the top tier pedals wired into effects sends 1-3, and my Möbius in 4. Guitar in goes through the Polytune and Drop.

I can power 5 pedals on the top, and wire some in series if I want to have a few overdrives but only turn one on at a time (or gain stack).

It's not super compact or super light, but it's a heck of a lot smaller and lighter than my big old 2x12, ground control, and rack full of pedals and fx.

I'm finding my sound, and it's getting good. Glad I stuck with Helix through the "what have I done?" Stage. :)

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq235/kurt_shetler/C7141BD7-8041-4E83-B1E0-B336C31D2760_zpsr6z2gucm.jpg

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq235/kurt_shetler/E26F5896-67B1-4DA3-8BD8-EF1DC2DEDACA_zpsmctsottl.jpg

Cool! Does look like a bit of a project to haul around, but as you say, way better than what a person used to have to do for anywhere near that functionality.

I still miss the sound of this puppy, though.  But I don't miss pushing it in and out of the trailer.   So now it sits in its case, awaiting a return to glory.  

EDA5A96E-89D9-4347-ABA6-26DE368D8E3E_zps

Although I use the Helix mostly in 4cm mode with a Mark V, and am not all that interested in the amp/cab models, I am absolutely amazed at how good the overdrive pedals in the Helix are.  The Minotaur and TubeScreamer models are amazing ... the valve driver and industsrial fuzz ... It is VERY HARD to let go of my beloved drive pedals (BB+, KOT, Gristle King, Elements, ego compressor) but the simplicity of the Helix and ease of moving the FX chain around ... no cables ... no power issues ... no tone suck ... 

Helix is one helluva product ...