Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

OT: Andy Timmons tones on Winterland are just awesome

zooey

Not posting this here for any particular reason, just an appreciation...

Doesn't sound as good on YouTube as in a better quality format, but you can still hear it:

I just LOVE the "clean" tone at the beginning. When he's gentling it, it's got wonderful top-end sparkle, clarity and beauty. When he digs in a bit more, there's this completely amazing thickness to it, zero fizz or mess. Best word I can think of is 'chewy'. Love it.

When he switches to a more overdriven sound later, that's also really great, fat, powerful, but still wonderful clarity. Those open low Es, they're like almost clean, except for how fat they are, and still the higher notes are super fat for the range they're in.

And the octave fuzz in the mod section is just so cool and semi-controlled.

Dig the tune itself too, a lot. I've had that song almost on repeat lately. Great stuff.

Yeah, makes sense that that semi-clean sound is a pretty high-gain setup with the guitar turned down, sounds like it.

The full-on gain tones in that are really different than the "record" of Winterland, more top end rolloff.

Cool player too.

This track is amazing.  Andy is such a fantastic and soulful player.  For anyone interested, Glenn DeLaune did an awesome job of replicating Andy's tones from the Resolution album, and it translates very well to this Winterland track too.  On Glenn's Custom Artist Packages Volume 2, there is an Andy Timmons patch and custom IR --- I just made some very minor tweaks to his patch as I was trying this on a Tele -- and it's almost dead on --- especially the solo section with the Octave Fuzz.  I was playing along with the track and was literally giggling at how close it was.

Holy crap.  How can we get to the tone in that video around 7:45?  Blues driver into a clean Lonestar.  I NEED that tone.  Like right now.   :)

Yeah -- no kidding!!!!  I think another important factor here is his signature-model Ibanez, outfitted with Dimarzio Cruisers in the mid and neck positions.  Not to mention his attack.

Love that guy's tone and playing. Spent a year trying to wrap my head around how he best single coil tone with little humbuckers.

I would love to see the Lonestar get modeled at some point. I don't have any experience with the blues driver, but I think I'm a fan now.