Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

which controller

I have the Spider IV 75.  I am trying to decide between the FBV expressMKII or the Shortboard MKII.  Iknow there is a little more functionality with the shortboard, but how usable is just the express?  Will be usingit mainly for playing live,  Is the express enough for a run of the mill not used to midi guy like me?  Or is the shortboard so much better it is no comparison?

I guess I need to know how much more control does the shortboard give me truthfully.

Really depends on how you want to use it!   I used an Express by setting the 4 patches in each bank how I would use them in a particular song.  In other words, if I needed a volume boost at one point, I would program patch A to be the regular sound, then patch B with the volume boost (channel volume).  If I wanted to add fuzz or chorus for a part, program that to patch C, etc.

The Shortboard will allow to you to turn on/off an FX without changing an overall patch, but you still need to program the FX for the correct sound you want.

If you can afford it go with the Shortboard because you can scroll through your all your User Bank presets whereas with the Express you can't. With the Shortboard you can also control Modulation, Delay and Reverb for each preset, with the Express you can not. I went with the Shortboard due to its superior versatility over the Express.

Well,I ordered the shortboard. It arrived with  the pedal completely broken away from the board.  Waiting now to see if the company I ordered it from will refund or what.  I have already been told it was the last one they had so it cannot be replaced and Line 6 is discontinuing so they cannot get another.  Doesn't sound good.