Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

V2.20.0 - Helix loses the input signal while scrolling through presets

MojoAxe

I updated my Helix to V2.20.0 and I'm now experiencing a complete disconnect of the input signal while I'm scrolling through presets.  While scrolling through setlists, Helix will go dead silent .The only way to get the signal back is to turn off the unit and turn it back on. Here are a few notes:

- First of all, I'll answer the obvious question: "No, the problem is not the cable."

- The problem will sometimes occur after scrolling through less than a dozen presets, other times I may have to scroll through an entire setlist a time or two, but eventually if I continue to scroll through the presets, the unit will suddenly go silent.  Once this occurs, there is no longer a signal being sent from Helix to the amp, no signal to the headhone jack, and even the internal tuner quits seeing the guitar input.   

- This was never a problem until I updated to 2.20.0

- I followed the update instructions closely and the update appeared to go smoothly.  The display shows that Helixit is running 2.20.0 and I reset all of the global settings as instructed (I actually did this twice hoping it might resolve the problem).  The new 2.2 presets are in place.

- The input signal can be triggered off either by scrolling through the presets using the Preset knob, the joystick knob, or using the toggle switches to scroll through presets, so its not a mechanical problem with one of the controls.

I've browsed through all the global settings and I cannot find any parameter that might have changed to cause the loss of the input signal.  I'm thinking that I might try reinstalling 2.20.0, but I don't know if the firmware can simply be reinstalled over itself and I don't want to risk bricking the unit.  Any suggestions on how to go about troubleshooting are welcome.

• Upvote 1

I'm having the exact same experience. Some tones come alive with the volume pedal but many times that doesn't seem to work. I mostly use the editor to navigate so the OP has saved me seeing if the editor was the cause. The other related problem I notice when the tones cut off is the tuner is stuck on Ab.

One odd problem (maybe) is when the last two updates were performed I noticed the automatic reboot wasn't automatic. I had to manually switch the Helix off.

Plan to work with it more tonight

• Upvote 1

Is anyone else having this issue?

I've tried downgrading firmware and everything works fine.

Upgraded to 2.20 multiple times, different USB cables, different ports, WindowsPC and Macbook, no setlists or IRs added, just firmware presets.  No luck.

Scrolling through the presets on the Helix with no USB connected and after 3 - 8 different presets the output disappears and I think the Helix input is locked up because the tuner is locked on Ab.

The tones sound great with the upgrade but I don't think I should have to power off/on to change between them.   :unsure:

One odd problem (maybe) is when the last two updates were performed I noticed the automatic reboot wasn't automatic. I had to manually switch the Helix off.

I believe the reboot is automatic although I can't remember for sure from when I upgraded. Perhaps the firmware did not actually fully install. Might be worth running the firmware upgrade process again and then doing the global reset.

I believe the reboot is automatic although I can't remember for sure from when I upgraded. Perhaps the firmware did not actually fully install. Might be worth running the firmware upgrade process again and then doing the global reset.

During one of the downgrades back to 2.12 I did see the reboot happen automatically. During the 3 or 4 upgrade attempts the installer screen goes to the screen telling me to wait for the auto reboot to finish and then reset global presets. The display screen goes blank but the scribble strips still show the preset names and it stays that way for at least 10 minutes (about when I get frustrated and power it off/on.). Once it does reboot I reset globals and it does show 2.20 on the display

Should I wait longer? Maybe jump back a few more revisions and upgrade from there?

Frustrating.

Thanks for taking the time to lend your advice.

I have had a couple of freeze-ups when scrolling away from then back to a particular preset (a very stripped down simple one; the most 'sophisticated' aspect of it is that it has a Solo lead channel amp feeding two IRs in parallel...)

I have yet to go back to that to see.

I'm going to do some scrolling to see if I get the audio dropouts as well.

• Upvote 1

Does it happen only with a PC/Mac plugged into USB?

I considered that so I unplugged after the firmware install and it still happens. Only power, guitar, and a mono/left XLR FRFR speaker connected.

During one of the "freezes" I unplugged the USB and it crashed and restarted my MacBook.

I'm going to do some scrolling to see if I get the audio dropouts as well.

In my case scrolling away doesn't help. I can still switch tones and even edit, but no sound, which was what made me check the input and notice the tuner is locked on Ab with the red and yellow indicators all the way left.

I appreciate the assistance. Thanks.

Does it happen only with a PC/Mac plugged into USB?

In my case, the input signal would drop out whether the Helix was connected to the PCB or standalone.  Unfortunately work projects have been all consuming and I haven't had time to play around with the Helix.   I did squeeze in some jam time yesterday for about 20 minutes and I didn't experience any lockups.  Its going to take longer than that before I'm ready to say that it has cured itself.

If it locks up on me again I think I'll try reinstalling the 2.20.0 firmware.  To do so, can I simply repeat the same install steps I used for the initial installation?

If it locks up on me again I think I'll try reinstalling the 2.20.0 firmware.  To do so, can I simply repeat the same install steps I used for the initial installation?

I did one of my firmware upgrades to 2.20 directly over the 2.20 that was giving me trouble.  I am currently using the updater to go back to 2.00 and step through each update.

So far none of these options has worked so I don't know if you 'should', but you can.

I have not been able to reproduce this on my Helix with 2.20. I suspect the issue is with a corrupt patch. This seems to happen, possibly when reloading patches from a previous release into an updated release and the patches don't get converted exactly correctly. For example, I had a situation where saving a preset caused Helix to crash every time. Turned out to be one of the patches in the preset was corrupt. Don't know how or why, but I suspect its related to patches with snapshots containing Variax model and open tuning settings.

I have not yet had a freeze with 2.20, but has a bunch with 2.12.

• Upvote 1

Update regarding my original post: I've had very limited time to spend with my Helix over the past few weeks however when I was playing through it I had not experienced any events where the Helix lost the input signal which made me start to think (hope) that the problem had cured itself.  

Unfortunately that's not the case as its gone into mute mode on me several times today.  I happened to have it connected to the editor software this time and when the Helix went silent the editor software also locked up.  I was able to scoll through patches on the Helix (even though there was no longer an output signal) but the editor software did not sync with the unit and just remained frozen on the patch that it was on when the unit went silent.  It was necessary to reboot the Helix as well as kill the editor process and restart it. 

In its current state I cannot trust the Helix at a gig, so I'm going to try reinstalling the firmware.  I'll report back as to whether or not this is successful.

Okay, reinstalling the firmware did not cure the problem.  

Just to make sure there was not a problem with the software on my PC, I uninstalled the Helix Editor and Updater, then downloaded a fresh copy and reinstalled it.  I verified the the Updater is Ver 1.11.    I reinstalled the 2.20 firmware onto the Helix, reset the Glbals and Restored Presets.  I then connected the 1/4" output to my amp and it plays just fine until I start scrolling through patches when eventually the unit loses the output.  Turn it off and back on and the output sound comes back. Sometimes It will lose the output after scrolling through a dozen or so presets, other times I may need to scroll through the preset list several times, but eventually the output will drop out.  

There's nothing else I can think of to do, so I think its time to open a service ticket.

Not the same thing, but I found that scrolling through presets quickly by spinning the Presets dial sometimes causes the editor to lose contact w Helix. Sometimes it ggets it back on its own after a bit, and sometimes I have to quit and restart it.

I hadn't seen this before 2.20, but since I don't use the editor much, just for IRs and backup really, and it doesn't happen all the time when I do, I can't definitely say it's new since then.

I've been having the exact same problem.  The Helix actually still works, I can change patches etc, but no input signal at all, and my tuner is frozen on Ab.  I've tried guitar in, aux in, and all the returns, but no signal comes through.  The only difference I have is that it happens even if I don't scroll through presets, after some time it just stops accepting any signal. I've reinstalled 2.20 about 4 times, going from 2.12 each time.  At the moment I have 2.12 installed with no issues. I have opened a ticket, number 298104

Just wanted to update everyone about my experience. I submitted a support ticket. After directing them to my efforts listed in this thread the tech quickly came to the conclusion I needed to send it for service. Customer service was AMAZING! I sent it from the east coast to CA Monday and it was back Wednesday. I haven't had any issues yet, but I plan to test it more this weekend. Can't give enough love to Line 6 for their great support.

• 2 weeks later...

In 2.21 its still happened. But I noticed that if your patch uses the only second path, the sound doesn't disappear. Something wrong with path 1A/B, maybe its one of the sharc processors just stop responding or something. :(

In 2.21 its still happened. But I noticed that if your patch uses the only second path, the sound doesn't disappear. Something wrong with path 1A/B, maybe its one of the sharc processors just stop responding or something. :(

`I have the same issue.It first happened when I upgraded to 2.2 so I went back to 2.12 then when 2.21 came out I tried to upgrade again and the problem was the same.As long as I stay on a patch I don't lose signal and I can scroll through snapshots also but as soon as I change presets I lost audio and it only comes back when I turn the unit off and turn it back on again.I went back to 2.12 and am having no problems.I sent a report to line6 so I'm waiting to see what they say.If you find out something before me please share and I will do the same.

• 5 weeks later...

I just got my Helix about 2 weeks ago, upgraded to the Firmware 2.21 and mine is loosing audio out to my speaker while scrolling presets either while hooked up to the Mac/Line 6 editor or also disconnected from the Mac and scrolling presets on the Helix Floor unit itself.

It will be ok for scrolling through a bunch of presets and then all of a sudden loose audio to the output. It will sometimes allow me to continue to another preset but still no audio or sometimes it will freeze on the preset that lost the audio and wont lets me advance to another preset.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the firmware and that didn't help. I have tried firmware reinstall and global reset and that doesn't help, I have tried various USB ports and USB cables and that doesnt help. This issue and freezing/no audio to output continues to happen.

I have 30 days to return my Helix. I am thinking I need a new one or to go back to an Amp and my Trusty Pedals????

Whats the scoop here?

Why are so many people having this issue with these Helix machines?

It seems like these Helix machines are a little bit unstable and non reliable?

I definitely cant have this happen in the middle of a Show/Gig!

I am almost regretting the decision to go HELIX and FRFR.

If someone from Line 6 could provide some input and solution I would definitely be grateful!

Thanks!

I just got my Helix about 2 weeks ago, upgraded to the Firmware 2.21 and mine is loosing audio out to my speaker while scrolling presets either while hooked up to the Mac/Line 6 editor or also disconnected from the Mac and scrolling presets on the Helix Floor unit itself. It will be ok for scrolling through a bunch of presets and then all of a sudden loose audio to the output. It will sometimes allow me to continue to another preset but still no audio or sometimes it will freeze on the preset that lost the audio and wont lets me advance to another preset. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the firmware and that didn't help. I have tried firmware reinstall and global reset and that doesn't help, I have tried various USB ports and USB cables and that doesnt help. This issue and freezing/no audio to output continues to happen. I have 30 days to return my Helix. I am thinking I need a new one or to go back to an Amp and my Trusty Pedals???? Whats the scoop here? Why are so many people having this issue with these Helix machines? It seems like these Helix machines are a little bit unstable and non reliable? I definitely cant have this happen in the middle of a Show/Gig! I am almost regretting the decision to go HELIX and FRFR. If someone from Line 6 could provide some input and solution I would definitely be grateful! Thanks!

I think that there aren't that many issues, it's just that people with no issues don't need to say anything.  Are you having a problem with your output or is it the input?  You can test this by trying the tuner.  Also try using the 3 note generator to see if there is sound coming out.  My issue is definitely the input, as I still get sound when I use the 3 note generator.  My unit has been sent back to be fixed, it seems as though there is no user fix for this issue.  I've had no problems up to this point though, it's been reliable, and sounds amazing.

I just got my Helix about 2 weeks ago, upgraded to the Firmware 2.21 and mine is loosing audio out to my speaker while scrolling presets either while hooked up to the Mac/Line 6 editor or also disconnected from the Mac and scrolling presets on the Helix Floor unit itself. It will be ok for scrolling through a bunch of presets and then all of a sudden loose audio to the output. It will sometimes allow me to continue to another preset but still no audio or sometimes it will freeze on the preset that lost the audio and wont lets me advance to another preset. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the firmware and that didn't help. I have tried firmware reinstall and global reset and that doesn't help, I have tried various USB ports and USB cables and that doesnt help. This issue and freezing/no audio to output continues to happen. I have 30 days to return my Helix. I am thinking I need a new one or to go back to an Amp and my Trusty Pedals???? Whats the scoop here? Why are so many people having this issue with these Helix machines? It seems like these Helix machines are a little bit unstable and non reliable? I definitely cant have this happen in the middle of a Show/Gig! I am almost regretting the decision to go HELIX and FRFR. If someone from Line 6 could provide some input and solution I would definitely be grateful! Thanks!

Start a support ticket with Line 6

There could be other causes for this but some people have seen this behavior when they hit certain presets that are essentially corrupt. If you take note of what you are scrolling through when this occurs you may notice it happening on the same preset(s) each time. Also, did you do the global reset after your upgrade and do you have the matching version of the Editor to your firmware?

• 4 months later...

I've the exact same problem here. I've test and done every step and solutions... the last hope, I will send it to factory, problem is, I bought it in Thomann online so, Week or two for get it back in Thomann than, refund money, buy another, wait delivery etc.

Hope that after this, I will get a no faulty unit!

• 2 months later...

Anyone have any updates on this issue? I'm experiencing the same thing and wonder if anyone has sound a resolution, other than sending the unit in?

I opened a support ticket and Line 6 advised me to send mine in for service. I just heard back yesterday that the MCU board needed to be replaced (basically the main computer that runs the Helix). I'd start by opening a ticket with Line 6 if you haven't already – and be prepared to send it in.

I opened a support ticket and Line 6 advised me to send mine in for service. I just heard back yesterday that the MCU board needed to be replaced (basically the main computer that runs the Helix). I'd start by opening a ticket with Line 6 if you haven't already – and be prepared to send it in.

Already did. Looked around a bit more after finding this thread, and figured resistance was futile. Planning on sending it in, but hey - I bought the extended warranty with Advanced Replacement, so I luckily won't have any time without a unit.

• 2 years later...

HI all,

I own a Helix Lt with no output. Reset to factory reset and update to the 3.01 firmware but no sounds at all. Seems to be a problem to the input buffer.

Seems to be the same problem.

I have changed guitar and cables and point of input (return 1 e 2) but no way... no input in tuner function too!

Firmware/Editor: Firmware 3.01; HX Edit 3.00
Factory reset and reinstalled the last firmware to Helix Lt and reinstalled Helix Editor

Also try using the 3 note generator to see if there is sound coming out and the sound comes out to the1/4 and XLR!

try to modifiy the input impedance (auto-z and other) cause seems to be a 0 ohm value causing a cc.. try to modify the value at the gate at the input cause seems to be to high to cross over.. but no way.

Return to the 2.20 and then global reset... the return 1 and 2 now goes on and the tuner too.. upgrade to the 3.01.0 e same issues to the guitar input... still function return 1 e 2... what about the heliix support? Nobody answer? What can i do to get an answer?

How do you solve the problem.. send the unit to the service?

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,
The quote for the repair has just arrived ... they talk about replacing the I / O board at a cost of 217 euros with a time of 4/5 days. : huh:

Unfortunately I'm out of warranty so nothing.

But I found a post where Line6 talked about updating from 3.00 for possible audio problems D:

Attention Helix/HX/Native Owners! Update to 3.01 ASAP!
Line6Tony
By Line6Tony
12/04/2020

The Helix 3.01 firmware update addresses potential severely corrupted audio output. Due to this, we recommend updating your Helix family device as soon as possible. This issue may also be experienced on Helix Native, so please update to version 3.01 as soon as possible. Thank you.

24 minutes ago, stevecastel said:

But I found a post where Line6 talked about updating from 3.00 for possible audio problems D:

Hi Steve,

Already replied to the exact same post in this thread. Cross posting is not usually a great idea, it gets confusing.