Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Monitoring inputs in stereo on an interface. Possible?

Rocco_Crocco

I like to run the Helix through my PreSonus Audiobox USB interface, and into my monitors. I do this for at home practicing, creating guitar patches, etc. I am not going through a DAW or anything.

I run 1/4" L and R outs from my Helix into the 2 inputs of the Audiobox.

The problem is the signal is in mono, and after a bit of research, I discovered the inputs on the Audiobox cannot be monitored in stereo.

Is there another affordable interface that will allow me to monitor in stereo?

From the Audiobox manual:

In Studio One:

9. We recommend that you create a mono input
for each of the inputs on your AudioBox USB.
If you plan on recording in stereo, you should
also create a stereo bus and assign it to the
appropriate set of inputs.

If you're not using a computer, then why not run your monitors straight from the Helix? If you are using a computer, Studio One is FREE, and it beats buying a new interface. BUT...the free version doesn't allow VSTs, so if you're waiting for Helix Native, you're SOL. There's always Reaper (big fan base, but I hated it). Ableton LIVE Intro is $99, and full function except for a track# limitation. There's enough tracks available (8 or 12, I forget) for basic recording. Focusrite 2i2 ($150) comes with Ableton Live Lite and a lite version of ProTools.

Another hardware only solution would be a small mixer. I have a Behringer Xenyx502 ($40) thats quite nice, and that'll let you mix in YouTube, MP3s, drum machines or any other audio source to practice with.

I like to run the Helix through my PreSonus Audiobox USB interface, and into my monitors. I do this for at home practicing, creating guitar patches, etc. I am not going through a DAW or anything.

The problem is the signal is in mono, and after a bit of research, I discovered the inputs on the Audiobox cannot be monitored in stereo.

Use your Helix for pete sake :)  It IS an interface. Secondly there's no reason to use the audiobox if youre not using a DAW.

As noted by "willjrock", above, your Presonus Audiobox is no longer required for this task. Helix is a perfectly good interface (8 channel USB). For use without a DAW, just patch your 1/4" cables from Helix into your monitors - simple solution, works perfectly well.

I guess with "monitoring inputs" he meant how to monitor levels, not how to link his helix to monitors.

If so, you can just connect your Helix USB to a compliance device running a monitoring software. I'm using an iPad with a pro app and it works great.

IMG_3378.jpg

Thanks, guys. I like to play along with MP3s and YouTube on my computer, so I need a mixer. Found this on Craigslist. It should do the trick.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/6044269675.html

Oops! once again, as noted by "willjrock", above, you don't require a mixer to do this. It's all possible just through Helix. Don't waste your money.

One of the differences between the Helix and the HD500 is that L6 removed the MP3 input. In order to use the SEND/RETURN jacks on the Helix to add external audio sources (YouTube, MP3,Drum machines, keyboards) you need to dedicate a path to that purpose, setting the INPUT to SEND/RETURN 1/2 or 3/4. If you're using both paths for your guitar sound, Guitar/Vocals, whatever, that's not an option. You could use up an INPUT BLOCK for it, but in any case you're diminishing the capabilities of a $1500 device to save $40 on an external mixer. Plus, having your Helix tethered to your monitors can be inconvenient.