Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dream Rig goes bad

About six years ago I bought a JTV-59P - it was a great guitar and worked as advertised.

About six months later I bought a DT-25, POD-HD 500 and a JTV-89F.

Out of the box the 89 had a loose tremolo fitting.  I had to pull off the tremolo to tighten it. grrrrr  After fixing it worked as advertised.

About two months later the '25 went teets-up.  I had to send it in for repair. grrrrr

About three years ago the '89 modelling went bad.  Fully charged battery.... L6/digital cables nothing.  No lights - nothing.  No longer under warranty.

Today I pulled out '59. Fully charged battery/4 green lights.  I get knob lights but no sound.  L6/digital cables - I get lights but no sound.  In analog my tone and volume knobs don't even work.  When I switch to 1/4" cable with battery - lights/no sounds.  Tone/ volume work.  No longer under warranty.

I'm over being mad with my 89.... now I'm just sad. Very sad.  I treat my instruments with great care.  They are not that old.  I can't see how these things go spontaneously wrong.

Any ideas?

Thank you - Mike.

This happens more often than any would care to admit. Same-0 happened to me. No one here wants to discus real life accounts about the durability or reliability of their gear. Mines 5+ yrs old also. Everybody comes online and gushes about how much they LOVE this stuff, but they are so inexperienced that they don't know that falling in love "First Sight" means nothing. I too have owned a Dt-25......it went Ta-Ta's-up, a Dt-50....fried power supply, 59 bricked during a firmware up-date,3-way switch failed twice,Firmware has to be re-flashed all the time because glitches show up-out of the blue now, etc. 2 Lt3's, one has had the fan repaired twice, the other one was dinged up in the box and was exchanged. The HD500x,M-10, L6 link are the only things that have NOT failed. In classes that I took, I was taught not to really evaluate any guitar until you have had it for at least two years. The main reason was that the guitar will change the most during that period because of the changes that happen as the wood seasons. Both in acoustic's and solid bodies. The next years, 3-5, are all about how it holds up to extended use. So.....if it don't last, or if you haven't had it long enough to see if it will last at all...you don't have any long term data to base your evaluations on. Here, it seems, no-one remembers everything that they had to fix or fiddle with on a brand new instrument just to get it in a playable condition in the first place. Their posts go from "WTF is going on" to "God I"m in Love like never before" all inside of a week or two. This is emotions...not logic. I mean all you have to do is read their own prior posts. How can it be love at first sight?.......Oh! I meant after I fixed it !,......'cause it sure didn't come ready to play. .The same Sh*t has been going on for almost 7 years now. Same questions to the same old problems with exactly the same gear every time a new customer shows up. Ship it here !, ship it there ! Have you tried the Hokie-Pokie? So, in closing my man, I might be the only person here, that you will get to agree with you in public. But we are supposed to be able to express our opinions here too, along side of those who might feel differently.

For what it worth GK - thank you.

I totally agree with everything you said.

There's no use in my getting angry.  I will miss the modelling.

I bought my first Line 6 amp back in '06 and was a big fan.

I'm done with Line 6. (How the heck did the '89 even make it out the door.  Helen Keller must Q&Aed it.) It doesn't help that they have  left the PC out of the loop once too often.

Mike

For what it worth GK - thank you.

I totally agree with everything you said.

There's no use in my getting angry.  I will miss the modelling.

I bought my first Line 6 amp back in '06 and was a big fan.

I'm done with Line 6. (How the heck did the '89 even make it out the door.  Helen Keller must Q&Aed it.) It doesn't help that they have  left the PC out of the loop once too often.

Mike

Yup, I don't have a clue as to what I'm talkin' about....

But Line 6 just sent out the SURVEY............ almost 7 years exactly from the date of issue...July, 2010.

I think it's time to fill that out...as now you have a qualified opinion about their instruments.

"No one here wants to discus real life accounts about the durability or reliability of their gear."

"So, in closing my man, I might be the only person here, that you will get to agree with you in public. But we are supposed to be able to express our opinions here too, along side of those who might feel differently".

Whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis? There absolutely no shortage of critique of Line 6 gear here on this Line 6 hosted forum. After you stop patting yourself on the back for being the only "truth to power" speaker on this forum, take some time to actually read through some of the posts. I guarantee that you will find kindred spirits here. Like me!

Aside from what I perceive as a bit of self aggrandizement, (I had to get you on that one!) I whole heartedly agree with you! The quality control of Line 6 gear, (particularly the DT series amps, The L- series speakers, the Pod HD 500 and Firehawk 1500) is horrid!

I have not had any issues with my JTV Korean or my JTVUS. But both of my DT's my Pod Hd and my Firehawk have ALL gone in for some repair within the first year of ownership. I've done shows where the amp would turn on, but no sound would come out. Weird pops and other unwanted noises, hums, whistles and screeches. Tube rattling and on and on all within the first year of ownership!

To me and to all of us....totally unacceptable!

To make matters worse, the tech staff will tell you to do the hokie pokie wire wiggle, reboot because clearly the customer is doing something wrong. News flash Line 6...maybe it's not operator error. Maybe it's just a brilliant idea paired with shoddy craftsmanship.

I've actually sent my amp in to be repaired and the amp came back without the speakers being hooked up! Clearly no one plugged a guitar into the amp to check their work! I'm convinced that the tech staff does not take a comprehensive approach to repairing their "faulty in the first place" gear.

Example, I took my Two Rock amp in to get some replacement speakers installed, when I got the amp back, I got a laundry list of repairs that they did on the amp. The re-soldered this, tightend up that, changed a dying tube and rebiased the amp. No Charge!

Line 6 returns my "fixed"amp with new issues that they will tell me is my fault! (That's only a slight exaggeration)

I am over a hump with my gear at this point. With the exception of a new popping sound from my out of warrantee DT-25, the DT-50 and my Firehawk 1500 have performed quite well over the last year. I got a new JTV-69US that is a stunning guitar. Fingers crossed that this streak will continue. Breath is held EVERY gig I play that this junk will turn on. The fact that crossed fingers and held breath are my reality is totally unacceptable! Having someone from Line 6 tell me that I must be doing something wrong is totally unacceptable. Unacceptable because we, the customer, have a lot of good money invested in Line 6's flagship gear!

Whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis? There absolutely no shortage of critique of Line 6 gear here on this Line 6 hosted forum. After you stop patting yourself on the back for being the only "truth to power" speaker on this forum, take some time to actually read through some of the posts. I guarantee that you will find kindred spirits here. Like me!

Aside from what I perceive as a bit of self aggrandizement, (I had to get you on that one!) I whole heartedly agree with you! The quality control of Line 6 gear, (particularly the DT series amps, The L- series speakers, the Pod HD 500 and Firehawk 1500) is horrid!

I have not had any issues with my JTV Korean or my JTVUS. But both of my DT's my Pod Hd and my Firehawk have ALL gone in for some repair within the first year of ownership. I've done shows where the amp would turn on, but no sound would come out. Weird pops and other unwanted noises, hums, whistles and screeches. Tube rattling and on and on all within the first year of ownership!

To me and to all of us....totally unacceptable!

To make matters worse, the tech staff will tell you to do the hokie pokie wire wiggle, reboot because clearly the customer is doing something wrong. News flash Line 6...maybe it's not operator error. Maybe it's just a brilliant idea paired with shoddy craftsmanship.

I've actually sent my amp in to be repaired and the amp came back without the speakers being hooked up! Clearly no one plugged a guitar into the amp to check their work! I'm convinced that the tech staff does not take a comprehensive approach to repairing their "faulty in the first place" gear.

Example, I took my Two Rock amp in to get some replacement speakers installed, when I got the amp back, I got a laundry list of repairs that they did on the amp. The re-soldered this, tightend up that, changed a dying tube and rebiased the amp. No Charge!

Line 6 returns my "fixed"amp with new issues that they will tell me is my fault! (That's only a slight exaggeration)

I am over a hump with my gear at this point. With the exception of a new popping sound from my out of warrantee DT-25, the DT-50 and my Firehawk 1500 have performed quite well over the last year. I got a new JTV-69US that is a stunning guitar. Fingers crossed that this streak will continue. Breath is held EVERY gig I play that this junk will turn on. The fact that crossed fingers and held breath are my reality is totally unacceptable! Having someone from Line 6 tell me that I must be doing something wrong is totally unacceptable. Unacceptable because we, the customer, have a lot of good money invested in Line 6's flagship gear!

Whattttt !

Is that you T-Bone???

I thought you was dead !,  After I Pm'd you about two years ago to invite you to our gig up in Napa and you didn't show up. Missed a great show.

I've been out of country traveling for the last year and a half....teaching, and when I got the "Variax Survey" notice, that was when I checked the forum.

But Dude, I said that "I Might be the Only One"......not that I was the only one. It was just a figure of speech 'cause I'm always counting on you and the Cruzinon2 to keep the fires lit.

Congratulations on the use of the big words.....I can just imagine Wiki-Pedia going into action as we speak. Confidence and knowledge sometimes has a way of coming across as a bit pompous, but I can assure you that my ego isn't in charge of my intellectual capabilities. I actually know when and how to take a good ribbing, and I really enjoy great sarcasm and satire. But I had no intention to ignore others who, like yourself, might feel the same. BS and stupid should always be rebutted,  but that is the one thing that's the most difficult here, at least.

People claim that they owned everything that L6 has made for the last twenty years, and are in love with it all, but give up on a Fishman Triple Play ?

All that L6 gear was way tougher that any Fishman....but you took it off and returned it ????.................. really? 

Challenge them, and the ridicule starts along with the childish votes all because one asked a tough question. Vote away....I'm not running for any elected office. I'm also not going to give you any of the same old canned answers that we have watched for the last years, answering the same old tired questions. That's the main reason I don't read too many prior posts.

I'm gonna go look, but I can't wait to read your opinion about the "Survey". ?

There is almost nothing asked about the evaluation of the actual guitars ???. .....I guess that they have forgotten that their bitchin' computer thingie comes in one. What did they want to know about ? How you liked 'yer get-box ?.....or how did you like your computer??

Steve Wozniack must have compiled the damn thing.

Talk about being out of touch .

Let 'er rip there Big Boner.....I'm ready and I got my seatbelt pulled tight....Hands on the Wheel and windshield wipers on !

Great to Hear from You,

Shawn

Crap! I missed a gig? I guess I was too busy lookin up big words and on wakapedio...wikapicio...wiki...wikeee....uh...on the internets!

I knew exactly where you were coming from with your post! My resting state of being is a$$ whole! I can't help myself! I particularly like it when people bite on the hook and bait I throw out! Way entertaining!

But you see through my baiting attempts like Super Man sees through Lois Lanes neglige! Well done my man! Well done!

You were doing nothing less than preaching the gospel truth!

That survey was a little lacking in specificity. And although can say that I Love my gear, I shamefully have to add "when it works!" to the end of the statement. Not so much about the Variax, but certainly about everything else Line 6 that I own.

Europe? They let you in? To teach!?!? WTF! No wonder the EU is falling apart! Hee-hee!

Stay safe and be well!

Ps...I love it when you call me "Big Boner"

Crap! I missed a gig? I guess I was too busy lookin up big words and on wakapedio...wikapicio...wiki...wikeee....uh...on the internets!

I knew exactly where you were coming from with your post! My resting state of being is a$$ whole! I can't help myself! I particularly like it when people bite on the hook and bait I throw out! Way entertaining!

But you see through my baiting attempts like Super Man sees through Lois Lanes neglige! Well done my man! Well done!

You were doing nothing less than preaching the gospel truth!

That survey was a little lacking in specificity. And although can say that I Love my gear, I shamefully have to add "when it works!" to the end of the statement. Not so much about the Variax, but certainly about everything else Line 6 that I own.

Europe? They let you in? To teach!?!? WTF! No wonder the EU is falling apart! Hee-hee!

Stay safe and be well!

Ps...I love it when you call me "Big Boner"

Ifin' I'm 'membering kerectly,

You was movin' yer, your know what, to a new house then ???  No wonder we missed contacts. It was up at Papa Copolla"s estate, private guests only, but you coulda' had 'yer name left at the gate.

I'll be at another elite gig on April 15th at an exclusive "Private House Concert" where one of my best friends will be playing. I don't know if you got time right now,I can get you in, but let me know and I'll P M you a link where you can check it out. It's in Cali. You should look at Micheal's cred's anyway, he's who I've been traveling with lately giving Master Class Studies. Ya , they kicked us out of Europe, so we just went to S. America for a few events. Between the two of us though..........his tone and ability has to be seen and heard. He always kicks my butt and goes home with the awards.......but I'm learning to live with it.                               almost

Hit me back & check it out.

THE

Getbox Killer