Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Shuriken with HD500?

jtsuth

Just wondering if anyone knows how to use the 2 together. I plug the Shuriken in to the Variax port on the HD500 (not the +, this is the first version) and I get the guitar to power on the Variax mode but I can't figure out how to bypass the settings on the HD500 to hear just the sounds being produced by the Shuriken. Does anyone know what I need to do? Any help is much appreciated ESPECIALLY since the battery on my Shuriken isn't powering the guitar so I have no choice but to use the HD500 to power the guitar right now.

Well, I am curious if I can control the Shuriken alternate tunings or guitar models with the foot switches on the HD500. I figure there has to be a way to do that since the HD500 has the Variax port. I need to figure out is there is a Variax mode on the pedal and hoped someone on here would be familiar. So I guess I would need to have an overdrive amp for the distortion stuff and a clean amp for the acoustic and clean stuff just to hear that without other effects being added.

Well, I am curious if I can control the Shuriken alternate tunings or guitar models with the foot switches on the HD500. I figure there has to be a way to do that since the HD500 has the Variax port. I need to figure out is there is a Variax mode on the pedal and hoped someone on here would be familiar. So I guess I would need to have an overdrive amp for the distortion stuff and a clean amp for the acoustic and clean stuff just to hear that without other effects being added.

Yes, you can control both alt tunings and swap to different guitar models on a per-preset basis with the POD...but that is all independent of the chosen amp model, or any FX in the chain. They have nothing to do with each other. Download the POD "advanced guide" manual, it's all in there.

Just wondering if anyone knows how to use the 2 together. I plug the Shuriken in to the Variax port on the HD500 (not the +, this is the first version) and I get the guitar to power on the Variax mode but I can't figure out how to bypass the settings on the HD500 to hear just the sounds being produced by the Shuriken. Does anyone know what I need to do? Any help is much appreciated ESPECIALLY since the battery on my Shuriken isn't powering the guitar so I have no choice but to use the HD500 to power the guitar right now.

Under Mixer page in HD Edit, use the dropdown tab to select which Variax to control per patch...

In fact I just looked for Standard under the drop down menu and it's not there, so unless Pod recognises JTV, Standard, and Shuriken as all being "Tyler", how could you get the Pod to control which guitar patch on the Variax?

This makes me think there must be an update of firmware for HD series Pods coming, unless the Pod recognises the Shuriken as just another Tyler?

Scratches chin.....

• 9 months later...

I have not used a Shuriken very long, but there are settings just for Variax in the setting menu. It does recognize and treat Shurken like a James Tyler guitar, it just says Variax and the firmware version number on the Variax menu setting. I see the other settings that the JT version has, so the HD500(x) is programmed to have the menus customized for Shuriken as a JTV.

You can set it to save the Shuriken model/tuning selections per preset or globally (for ever preset, I guess). You can set it to ignore the Shuriken local settings by the force selection or the to not ignore them by the choosing do not force. I found through testing that each HD preset saves the Shuriken local settings per preset when HD preset was chosen, and recalled when each each HD preset was selected. To test this, I made 4 identical presets with just the same amp in one bank, without effect blocks, with the amps set clean, not overdriven by volume and drive. Then I changed Shuriken local models, like Spank 1, Lester 1, etc. for each preset selected, and then did a save on each preset using a different model. That is when the Shuriken selected model gets saved along with the preset. The model is recalled when the preset is selected. I found that I can still override that preset recalled model with the Shuriken local model/selector settings afterwards, if I want to (unless force in the HD settings was set).

One issue is, there does not seem to be any indication on the preset display to remind you which Shuriken model was stored along with the HD amp and effects, so it seems you have to remember what you put in it. Also, if you use a preset that you don't want the Shuriken local model settings stored with, and you make a change to the preset, like turn off an effect block, then press save, the Shuriken preset gets stored, which you don't want to happen. Maybe turning off the Shuriken model selector by pressing on it will keep that from happening, but I have not tested that yet.  So you could really confuse yourself if you are not aware of this. I think that if the HD setting is in global the same Shuriken preset is used for every preset. The  HD advanced pilot guide is not really very clear and could use more information so we don't have to experiment. It takes much time to figure this out, and I would rather be making music than testing the HD. Please Line 6, make an app note that goes into more detail. It is one thing to design something with various flexibility options, but another to hardly explain how to use them, leaving it up to a musician to figure out.

I hope this helps.

I came across a HD preset I had stored with 2 amps in parallel and some effects that does not have any output when my Shuriken is only connected with the VDI cable provided, and only will put out sound with the regular guitar cable connected. I don't understand why, and it seems like my other presets work fine with the VDI cable. Makes no sense to me. I even turned off all the effects blocks and only had the amps, and still no sound with just the VDI cable. But worked fine with the phono jack cable.