Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT...Real ??

wcmexbm

Absolutely! I don't feel cheated about the $1500 that I spent on Helix, however. It's a fantastic product and worth the money. The resale value on Helix is going to absolutely nose dive though. I'll admit that I haven't been entirely happy in the modeling world, and I had made the decision to sell it. Again, not because Helix isn't a great product, but because I miss playing out of a real amp. So, a couple of days ago I listed it on Craigslist and had a buyer pretty quickly. Guess what happened? He found out about Helix LT and backed out. Helix LT is nothing more than greed on Line 6's part. They're using the technology that they put into the product that they sold us for $1500, cramming it into cheaper packaging, and selling it for a third less than what we paid. $500 is a lot of money to most musicians, and most of them are going to go for the new product, not the used one. I'm glad that I'm jumping out now. Wait until Helix LT's hit the used market, and it's going to get way worse.

This is a bunch of nonsense... Really don't know what else to add, but your whole premise is wrong. How on earth does releasing the LT affect the used prices of the Helix all that much? You think there's going to be a glut of people selling Helix's just so they can go buy an LT? That would seem to really irrational, as you might be left with a little cash in your pocket (by the time you pad fees and shipping for selling online, not much though), and you'd be left with a processor that does less than the one you originally had...

What simulations do the Amplifi series use? Are they only from the XT/X3 era or only from the HD amps? Or is it a combination of both technologies/algorithms? Is there a list of everything in them? I( can't seem to find one anywhere on the Line  website.

What simulations do the Amplifi series use? Are they only from the XT/X3 era or only from the HD amps? Or is it a combination of both technologies/algorithms? Is there a list of everything in them? I( can't seem to find one anywhere on the Line  website.

The AMPLIFi series kind of uses XT/X3 models, but it would be more accurate to say they're ported models from POD Farm. The AMPLIFi amps and effects are essentially the same as what's in the Spider V.

"But what about ME! Every entity with which I interact must take my personal feelings into account before doing anything, because I'm special and I have NEEDS! And when those needs aren't met it is clearly someone else's fault. And they must all be named, blamed, and shamed...now excuse me, I have 3 other phony outrage targets to vilify this afternoon".

Ok enuff about you, what abt me?  :P

They're using the technology that they put into the product that they sold us for $1500, cramming it into cheaper packaging, and selling it for a third less than what we paid. $500 is a lot of money to most musicians, and most of them are going to go for the new product, not the used one. I'm glad that I'm jumping out now. 

Do what you wish, but don't think for a minute those used springs on the bottom of your feet helping you jump out are worth what you paid for them new... Welcome to reality.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. People are gonna b1tch no matter what you do...it's all part of the narcissism tsunami currently sweeping away the last vestiges of common sense.

"But what about ME! Every entity with which I interact must take my personal feelings into account before doing anything, because I'm special and I have NEEDS! And when those needs aren't met it is clearly someone else's fault. And they must all be named, blamed, and shamed...now excuse me, I have 3 other phony outrage targets to vilify this afternoon".

Boo-hoo. The sun will still rise tomorrow.

Sounds like feminism to me :)

This is a bunch of nonsense... Really don't know what else to add, but your whole premise is wrong. How on earth does releasing the LT affect the used prices of the Helix all that much? You think there's going to be a glut of people selling Helix's just so they can go buy an LT? That would seem to really irrational, as you might be left with a little cash in your pocket (by the time you pad fees and shipping for selling online, not much though), and you'd be left with a processor that does less than the one you originally had...

I'm not sure how you think my argument is nonsense. It sounds like you either didn't read or misinterpreted what I said. I never said that Helix owners would sell their existing device for an LT. That would be ridiculous, and I don't begin the understand why you thought that I said or insinuated that. The issue here is that the used market is where one would turn to buy an item that he/she couldn't afford to buy new. Now a used Helix, at say $1100-$1200, has much less if any appeal to those buyers. After all, they can now buy new for $1000 and get a full warranty. Some will still want all the features of the original, but the two are so close that a huge amount of these buyers will go for an LT instead of used. Value is determined by supply and demand, and the demand for used Helixes will be dramatically decreased with Helix LT in the picture.

Do what you wish, but don't think for a minute those used springs on the bottom of your feet helping you jump out are worth what you paid for them new... Welcome to reality.

With all due respect, hopefully I put my faith in a spring manufacturer that doesn't repease a "Spring LT". Thank you for the reality check though!

I'm not sure how you think my argument is nonsense. It sounds like you either didn't read or misinterpreted what I said. I never said that Helix owners would sell their existing device for an LT. That would be ridiculous, and I don't begin the understand why you thought that I said or insinuated that. The issue here is that the used market is where one would turn to buy an item that he/she couldn't afford to buy new. Now a used Helix, at say $1100-$1200, has much less if any appeal to those buyers. After all, they can now buy new for $1000 and get a full warranty. Some will still want all the features of the original, but the two are so close that a huge amount of these buyers will go for an LT instead of used. Value is determined by supply and demand, and the demand for used Helixes will be dramatically decreased with Helix LT in the picture.

I don't know why the demand for used Helices would be substantially decreased... If people can get a used Helix for just a little more than an LT, I would think that a lot of people would certainly do just that. The full Helix still offers a lot of functionality that the LT doesn't. Heck, I'd pay a few hundred extra just for the extra loops and scribble strips alone.

BTW, the warranty for the Helix does transfer, so it is possible to still have warranty coverage with a used one.

With all due respect, hopefully I put my faith in a spring manufacturer that doesn't repease a "Spring LT". Thank you for the reality check though!

When you find that faith-based company ( you know, the one that makes new products to sell in order to make a profit),  ask them what doesn't lose value once its no longer new, cause I want 3 of um...

Another datapoint- I forwarded the Helix LT announcement to the bass player in my band who has been thinking about getting a Helix. The LT release did not sway him at all- he still likes the look and feel of the Helix better.

I think the market is plenty large enough to accommodate both models. And I'm excited that the expanding user base for Helix / LT / Native ensures lots of exciting new updates for all of us.

-John

I'm totally willing to give up a couple hundred bucks in resale value if it means that thousands of folks, for whom the flagship product was out of reach, get to enjoy the Helix experience.  I believe that Line 6 is just trying to make Helix technology available to the masses at various price points. 

People are still going to buy the product they want and can afford.  If they want scribble strips and additional I/O they're going to go for the full-blown Helix every time.  If they're interested in Native as well, the Helix makes more sense financially than the LT.  It will be a little more difficult to sell them used, partly because people who were watching for used units as a possible backup will probably jump at the LT.

As for me, I'm hoping for a future hot-rodded version.  Then my current Helix will become my backup.