Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT FAQ

Digital_Igloo

HELIX LT FAQ

Is this real or some sort of sick April Fools' Day joke?

Helix LT is Helix's very real, more affordable little brother. Helix, Helix Rack/Control, and Helix LT all have the same DSPs (2x 450MHz ADSP-21469 SHARCS), modeling engines, models, A/D/A converters, op amps, and patented Guitar In with 123dB of dynamic range. They are sonically identical.

Compared to Helix, the differences with Helix LT are:

• No scribble strip LCDs (middle eight footswitch assignments appear on Helix LT's new colorful Performance view)
  • Fewer Ins and Outs:
    • 2 Sends/Returns as opposed to 4 (can be stereo linked)
    • No mic preamp
    • No Aux In
    • No S/PDIF In/Out
    • Exp 2 In and dual Ext Amp Out share a single jack (function is globally selectable)
    • No Exp 3 jack
    • No CV Out jack
  • Less expensive chassis:
    • Folded steel top chassis as opposed to extruded aluminum
    • Folded steel expression pedal as opposed to cast aluminum
    • Impact-resistant ABS side panels with rubber overmolding (like those on Helix Control) as opposed to cast aluminum side panels
  • No separate Phones knob (headphone volume is controlled by main Volume knob)
  • No 10 Stomp footswitch mode; Stomp mode is limited to 8 switches
  • Pedal Edit select view displays 8 blocks at a time instead of 10

So IR loading, Snapshots, Command Center, hands free Pedal Edit mode, up to 4 amps at once... all that stuff is included?

Yes.

Can I still custom label my footswitches?

Sure; any custom labels appear in Performance View.

Okay, but what about [feature or model found in Helix]?

Read the top question again. If it's not mentioned in the list, it's in Helix LT.

Will there be an editor?

There's already an editor. The same Helix application (EDIT: Now HX Edit) works with Helix, Helix Rack/Control, and Helix LT. Just update it to 2.20 or higher.

Can I use Helix or Helix Rack presets in Helix LT?

Yes. Presets are fully transferrable between Helix, Helix Rack/Control, Helix LT, and the Helix Native plug-in.

Will Helix LT receive updates along with Helix and Helix Rack/Control?

That's the plan.

Where are all the audio clips?

There are already hundreds of clips, as Helix LT sounds exactly like Helix.

Is Helix LT much smaller and lighter than Helix?

Not really—it's about an inch narrower; depth and height are about the same. Helix LT is 2-1/2 pounds lighter (12.0 lbs vs. Helix's 14.6 lbs); it'll fit perfectly in Helix Backpack.

If it's not that much lighter, what does LT stand for?

Leo Tolstoy.

Any plans to add LT's Performance View to Helix and Helix Rack/Control?

Most likely not, as the scribble strip LCDs accomplish the same thing.

You guys busted this one out pretty quick, huh?

Development on Helix LT began before Helix and Helix Rack/Control were even announced.

What's the price?

$999.99 US MAP.

What's the population of Slovenia?

2.06 million.

• Upvote 7

HELIX LT FAQ

Is this real or some sort of sick April Fools' Day joke?

Helix LT is Helix’s very real, more affordable little brother. Helix, Helix Rack/Control, and Helix LT all have the same DSPs (2x 450MHz ADSP-21469 SHARCS), modeling engines, models, A/D/A converters, op amps, and patented Guitar In with 123dB of dynamic range. They are sonically identical.

Compared to Helix, the differences with Helix LT are:

• No scribble strip LCDs (middle eight footswitch assignments appear on Helix LT’s new colorful Performance view)
  • Fewer Ins and Outs:

• 2 Sends/Returns as opposed to 4 (can be stereo linked)
    • No mic preamp
    • No Aux In
    • No S/PDIF In/Out
    • Exp 2 In and dual Ext Amp Out share a single jack (function is globally selectable)
    • No Exp 3 jack
    • No CV Out jack
  • Less expensive chassis:

• Folded steel top chassis as opposed to extruded aluminum
    • Folded steel expression pedal as opposed to cast aluminum
    • Impact-resistant ABS side panels with rubber overmolding (like those on Helix Control) as opposed to cast aluminum side panels
  • No separate Phones knob (headphone volume is controlled by main Volume knob)
  • No 10 Stomp footswitch mode; Stomp mode is limited to 8 switches
  • Pedal Edit select view displays 8 blocks at a time instead of 10
  • Registered Helix LT owners can purchase the Helix Native plug-in for $299 (normally $399; registered Helix and Helix Rack owners get it for $99)

So IR loading, Snapshots, Command Center, hands free Pedal Edit mode, up to 4 amps at once… all that stuff is included?

Yes.

Can I still custom label my footswitches?

Sure; any custom labels appear in Performance View.

Okay, but what about [feature or model found in Helix]?

Read the top question again. If it’s not mentioned in the list, it’s in Helix LT.

Will there be an editor?

There’s already an editor. The same Helix application works with Helix, Helix Rack/Control, and Helix LT. Just update it to version 2.20.

Can I use Helix or Helix Rack presets in Helix LT?

Yes. Presets are fully transferrable between Helix, Helix Rack/Control, Helix LT, and the Helix Native plug-in.

Will Helix LT receive updates along with Helix and Helix Rack/Control?

That's the plan.

Where are all the audio clips?

There are already hundreds of clips, as Helix LT sounds exactly like Helix.

Is Helix LT much smaller and lighter than Helix?

Not really—it’s about an inch narrower; depth and height are about the same. Helix LT is 2-1/2 pounds lighter (12.0 lbs vs. Helix’s 14.6 lbs); it’ll fit perfectly in Helix Backpack.

If it's not that much lighter, what does LT stand for?

Leo Tolstoy

Any plans to add LT’s Performance View to Helix and Helix Rack/Control?

Most likely not, as the scribble strip LCDs accomplish the same thing.

You guys busted this one out pretty quick, huh?

Development on Helix LT began before Helix and Helix Rack/Control were even announced.

What’s the price?

$999.99 US MAP.

What’s the population of Slovenia?

2.06 million.

What’s the release date?

April 3, 2017. So now.

Wait. “Now†as in I might be able to call my dealer and snag Helix LT today?

Yes.

Awesome, well done Line 6. Now, when will they arrive over the pond?

Guest abonica

I was going to buy another Helix floor for a backup in stead of using my old HD500X as a backup. As soon as they hit the UK I'm getting one.

They are available right now.

Surely they cannot be totally compatible?

If you set up a patch with 3 external loops, then it could not possibly be compatible?

What happens - do the send and returns still show up on the path but not connect to anything?

Or doers that patch crash the Helix LT?

Guest abonica

I can't find them for sale anywhere in the U.K. at the moment. I'll just have to keep looking.

Sorry, I thought Thomman or someone had it already. Doesn't appear to be on Thomman's site anymore, perhaps it will be up soon. I'll ask at work tomorrow which dealers, if any have received them (they're available in the USA, but often shipping stock to Europe takes an extra week or so.) Looks like Anderton's will have it on the 18th (which isn't far out). https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/GHELIXLTUK/multi-fx-units/line-6-helix-lt-floor-pedal?_ga=1.220482715.2087065563.1491291763

Sorry, I thought Thomman or someone had it already. Doesn't appear to be on Thomman's site anymore, perhaps it will be up soon. I'll ask at work tomorrow which dealers, if any have received them (they're available in the USA, but often shipping stock to Europe takes an extra week or so.) Looks like Anderton's will have it on the 18th (which isn't far out). https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/GHELIXLTUK/multi-fx-units/line-6-helix-lt-floor-pedal?_ga=1.220482715.2087065563.1491291763

Ok, thanks. If no other dealers have them in I'll hold out until Anderton's get them in as I usually get most of my gear from them.

Edit: I have preordered one from Anderton's along with a Variax standard to join my JTV59 & 89F :-)

Guest abonica

Ok, thanks. If no other dealers have them in I'll hold out until Anderton's get them in as I usually get most of my gear from them.

Edit: I have preordered one from Anderton's along with a Variax standard to join my JTV59 & 89F :-)

Awesome! I have 5 Variax guitars myself, so I understand the addiction. ;-) 

I can't imagine using snapshots without the scribble strips to be honest.

Check out the new Performance View. You'll be surprised how great it looks and how useful it is. Check it out: 

Andertons shows them on their website.

Andertons website actually states.

Only available to preorder at this time. Delivery expected Tuesday 18th April.

Product manager "abonica" , post #16 also predicts the same date.

Dears...what effect, what amps have this Helix LT?????.

Very intuitive windows-demostration...but zero important information to guitar players

The same Amps, FX, Cabs, Mics, as the full HELIX units. They share the same Firmware, sound sonically identical, etc. Re-read the top post in this thread. See Helix Product info on Line 6's site, or HelxHelp.com or http://dshowmusic.com/line-6-helix-amp-models/

Hi I have a question... so i like to jam along to youtube videos and spotify etc now and again. As there is no No Aux In, can you get audio from your PC via the USB? So using the Helix as an audio interface?

Thanks!

Hi I have a question... so i like to jam along to youtube videos and spotify etc now and again. As there is no No Aux In, can you get audio from your PC via the USB? So using the Helix as an audio interface? Thanks!

Yes, the Helix LT is an 8-in, 8-out USB audio interface.

• Upvote 2

The whole EXP2/EXT AMP gig - is that something the full fat Helix will be able to do with a firmware upgrade or is it different hardware?

Helix and Helix Rack have the same functions, just on separate jacks. With Helix LT, you globally choose one or the other.

Hey!! I seriously consider getting an Helix LT to replace my good old Axe-FX Ultra, I just need to confirm that I can replicate my setup on the Helix LT

My guitars are all equipped with the ghost piezo system from Graph Tech.

So a use the main input of the Axe for the magnetic sound, and the input 2 of the axe for the piezo sound.

On my clean patches I use the left xlr output for the mag sound and the right xlr for the piezo and I use a 1/4 output without a cab block on my power amp/cabinet on stage.

On my hi gain patches, I use a different cab on xlr left and right and the same 1/4 output without cab block to my power amp/cabinet on stage.

Does the helix LT still have enough IO to achieve all this?? If so I'll run to the store and get one! :p

Thanks for the help!

Jeb

Ho!! that's great!! thanks for the fast reply! I'll keep searching... to be 100% sure, but it's looking good!!

Jeb

I can tell you with 100% certainty that you can use one of the returns as an input.

Hi, does the Helix LT have 4 chains which are assignable to 4 individual outputs that go into 4 separate amps? here's my signal flow:

1st INPUT: BASS
chain #1: looper => octave up =>fuzz => 1/4 L => guitar amp
chain #2: octave up =>pitch+5 =>fuzz =>1/4 R => guitar amp
chain #3: looper =>OD  => sansamp   =>XLR L=> bass amp

2nd INPUT: SYNTH
chain #4: EQ =>chorus => delay        =>XLR  R=> synth amp

I have four separate chains in my current pedalboard (pictured below), an HD500X which outputs chain 1 & 2 above, the analog pedals which make up chain 3, and the TCH/GTX receives the 2nd output from a GK3 synth pickup which processes chain 4. I'm looking to ditch the HD500X, all the analog pedals and the TCH to consolidate all 4 chains in the Helix ...if it's possible, is it?

0yVkPmI.jpg
  • Upvote 1

Hi, does the Helix LT have 4 chains which are assignable to 4 individual outputs that go into 4 separate amps? here's my signal flow:

1st INPUT: BASS

chain #1: looper => octave up =>fuzz => 1/4 L => guitar amp

chain #2: octave up =>pitch+5 =>fuzz =>1/4 R => guitar amp
chain #3: looper =>OD  => sansamp   =>XLR L=> bass amp

2nd INPUT: SYNTH
chain #4: EQ =>chorus => delay        =>XLR  R=> synth amp

I have four separate chains in my current pedalboard (pictured below), an HD500X which outputs chain 1 & 2 above, the analog pedals which make up chain 3, and the TCH/GTX receives the 2nd output from a GK3 synth pickup which processes chain 4. I'm looking to ditch the HD500X, all the analog pedals and the TCH to consolidate all 4 chains in the Helix ...if it's possible, is it?

That's a sweet setup you have there.

I'm a little groggy so I may not completely follow your signal/s flow. I just got an LT and internally you can create four discrete chains to go to the four outputs (2 1/4 and 2 XLR) like the Helix, but I'm pretty sure it only takes in up to 3 regular inputs and a Variax input. So if you need more inputs than that, you would need a regular Helix.

I don't know if that helps at all.

That's a sweet setup you have there. I'm a little groggy so I may not completely follow your signal/s flow. I just got an LT and internally you can create four discrete chains to go to the four outputs (2 1/4 and 2 XLR) like the Helix, but I'm pretty sure it only takes in up to 3 regular inputs and a Variax input. So if you need more inputs than that, you would need a regular Helix. I don't know if that helps at all.

Thanks, I only need two 1/4 input jacks for a bass and a synthesizer, the bass splits into three chains (1 fender guitar amp, 1 vox, 1 Crate bass amp) and the synth goes into a Roland amp. How are signal flow chains assigned in the system?

The LT can definitely replace what the 500x is doing. Things are a little confusing on my end if you're trying to replace the analog pedals and still incorporate the loopers. It seems like you would still need to use additional sends and returns inside Helix to do that. One reason being that I think you can only use one instance of the looper inside Helix (although you would probably prefer to use your external loopers). But you obviously have a better command and understanding of your flow than I do.

But if you're just doing up to 3 inputs, each one of them can be assigned their own chain. All of the inputs can be changed to take in different types of signals.

INPUT 1 (BASS) > ASSIGNED TO CHAIN 1A ---> INTERNAL FX ----> 1 fender guitar amp

INPUT 1 (BASS) > ASSIGNED TO CHAIN 1B ---> INTERNAL FX ----> 1 vox

INPUT 1 (BASS) > ASSIGNED TO CHAIN 2A ---> INTERNAL FX ----> 1 Crate bass amp

INPUT 2 (SYNTH) > ASSIGNED TO CHAIN 2B ---> INTERNAL FX ----> Roland amp

Then the issue is there are only two 1/4" outputs so you would have to convert the XLR OUTS.

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up an LT from Sweetwater for my rehearsal/small gig activity.

It will be nice to be able to tweak presets at rehearsal and transfer them

directly to my gig rig. Nice to have a spare also.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested in purchasing a Helix LT, but I need to know if I can hook up multiple guitars to it at once. I know the regular Helix has an aux in to allow for this. I would want to hook both an electric guitar and acoustic guitar up to the Helix LT and switch between both live without having to hook up an a/b box. Will either of the 2 fx returns allow me to do this? Thanks to anyone who can help me get an answer for this!

Yes! An additional guitar may be connected to the Helix LT via either of the FX Returns! Just be sure to place an FX Block in your signal path.

If you need, the Input Block of your second signal path may be reconfigured to use the FX Return.

By using Bypass Assign with footswitches and Snapshots, you have lots of flexibility when to bypass either instrument.

You could also Split the Signal Path and place the FX Return on the Parallel Path and Toggle the A/B Split.

Helix is very flexible!

If you feel you may need additional I/O the Helix Floor may be a better alternative, as it provides two additional FX I/O, plus it has a dedicated Aux Guitar In, as well as a Mic XLR In with switchable Phantom Power, Headphone Volume knob, etc. Granted it costs a bit more, but if you might be micing you guitar or vocals, and still want or need other inputs the Full Helix Floor is more capable. Otherwise, the Helix LT is sonically identical.

• Upvote 1

• Line6Tony unpinned and locked this topic